1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rules questions

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buttermaker, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Buttermaker

Buttermaker Active Member

Feb 1, 2008
    A couple of questions came up during the game, can anybody shed some light on these:

1) On the punt return that Josh Smith got lit up, what is the rule about kicking the kid out of the game? I seem remember there was a rule change a couple years ago after guys from Fresno State kept lighting people up. Is it only helmet to helmet?

2) Regarding redshirts, why does it burn the redshirt the second somebody steps on the field? I know medical redshirts can play in less than 25% of the games, is there not something similar for regular redshirts?
  2. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Aug 18, 2005
    2) Because
  3. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

Jul 8, 2005
    1. it is up to the ref, subject to some guidelines. he should have tossed that guy out.

2. one play of any type and you burn your rs. there is no counting up plays. joel klatt took 2 snaps his freshman year. that burned his shirt.

technically, a med hardship is not a redshirt. one of the reasons they allow you to play in multiple games and still get a med hardship is this: if you have a guy who goes 2 games and then gets hurt really bad, if there was no med hardship rule, he might rush back to play later in the season rather than taking the year off. this jeopardizes the health of the player. to qualify for the med hardship, you have to show that the player was so injured that he couldn't have played throughout the year and he needed a full season to recover. the easy ones are stuff like blown knees and broken legs. the ncaa, i believe, looks more closely at "cumulative" injuries that cause a player to seek another year.
    Buttermaker likes this.
  4. HuskerHater

HuskerHater Club Member Club Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Nice clarification DBT. You sound like I true parent.:lol:
  5. MSBuff

MSBuff Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2006
    And an astute student of College football.:thumbsup: