1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rumor: Callahan is Gone

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by MiamiBuffs, Oct 29, 2007.

1. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Yake this rumor and combine it with a slip of the tongue by Dr. Tom himself during a recent TV interview. Both predate this weekends loss to Texas where NU played much better.

Slip of the tongue...?

http://www.ketv.com/video/14440193/index.html Click on the Osborne Asseses Job and Program. Go to the 6:30 mark.

2. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Is this actually a surprise to anyone?

As soon as the old AD was fired, everyone knew Callahan was going to be fired as well.

3. MiamiBuffs

Pretty likely. However, apparently Pederson was fired for something else that was not made public. Suposedly he gave a buddy a contract position but he wrote the contract in such a way that the Board of Regents didn't have to approve it (lower per diem with more days). The total amount of the contract apparently fell within their sphere of authority. When the Regents got wind of this, they were already concerned about the attrition rate in the ADs office as well as the play of team combined with the extension of Callahan, that they took action. Rumor is they told Chancellor Perlman to get rid of Pederson or that he would lose his job too.

The timing of Pedersons firing doesnt make much sense to me in terms of how the football team is playing. ADs are responsible for marketing, business, and personal. Pederson was stepping on a lot of toes before he got the boot and I think it was more that than anything else.

4. bpc

bpc Guest

Shoot, we all knew that was going to happen.

Where do they go from here? They tried the option, went away from it and now they've tried the wide open passing offense and ditched it as well.

SOL for the cornsuckers. :)

5. Wyo Buff

Wyo Buff Club Member Club Member

They go straight to the Spread Option ala Urban Meyers/Rich Rodrigues. Plenty of guys who can implement and run this would come to kNU. The scary thing is, they probably have the right athletes to implement it pretty quickly. It will seem easy to these guys after trying to learn the WC O.

6. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Man, Cally's star has fallen about as fast and suddenly as GB's did.

7. MiamiBuffs

Problem is that Callahan has never deomonstrated that he can do this. Callahan never showed anyone that he was a master of this offense or of play calling. All the signs were there that he was a poser so to speak.

This is only his 2nd HC stint. He hired a DC that Wiscy fans were happy to see go. Say what you want about Al Davis but he fired Cally after what? Two seasons? Callahan won with Grudens players.

Honestly, the guy reminds me of Neuheisel more than anyone else. Looks good on paper; quality of the product is a different story.

8. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

It is a question of when not if...the one that intrigues me is the who.

9. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I know nothing of the kNU roster, but do they have a Qb that can run the spread? Seems like the guys they've recruited have all been more drop back style passers.

10. BuffThat

BuffThat Member

Brian Kelly.

11. Wyo Buff

Wyo Buff Club Member Club Member

Brian Kelly sounds a lot like a Jim Tressel or maybe more of a young Joe Glenn. Success everywhere he's been. It actually would be cool to have a solid kNU for CU to beat in a grudge match every year. Much more fun when they mean something!

12. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

Kelly is a little bit like Hawk was before taking the CU job, he was gonna end up somewhere pretty good jobwise. it was just a matter of time.

13. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

what about the guy from Rutgers?

14. Saulbadguy

Saulbadguy Member

He turned down Miami last year, didn't he?

15. MiamiBuffs

I think he spurned Miami or somebody big but by rumor only. Rutgers is his Alma Mater and they gave him a raise. He received a new contract in Dec of 2005 before Miami or anyone else had anything official going.

He was Miami's DC and left in 2000, a year before Coker got the job.

16. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

I realize it is his alma mater but it is RUTGERS.

When someone turns down NEBRASKA to stay at RUTGERS, that really says something about the state of Nebraska football.

17. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

5 people turned down Nebraska the last time they were searching.

18. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

Hopefully this fall involves a 30-3 Buffs win to close it out...:thumbsup:

19. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

You really think so? Rutgers is halfway between NYC and Philadelphia. They play in a BCS conference and are the only D-1 football school in the state of New Jersey. While it's certainly true that Rutgers doesn't have the history and tradition of UN football, they have a lot going for them that UN doesn't. If somebody is a big city guy, I can't think of too many colleges that offer more than Rutgers and conversely, less than UN.

20. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Other than the fact that the location of Rutgers may be more geographcially advantageous, what does Rutgers offer that Nebraska doesn't offer 10x more of?

21. BuffThat

BuffThat Member

Pressure. Schiano is a legend at Rutgers, come to NU you better win 9+ a year and Big XII titles. Hell at Rutgers just getting in the Top 25 and finishing top 3 in the Big Least and they love you.

22. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, does Nebraska have to pay off his current contract, AS WELL as the extension they gave him eariler in the the year, cause, if that's true..... (last 3 seconds of the following scrubs clip)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw_VRQYzMYM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw_VRQYzMYM[/ame]

Girlfriend's gonna get PAID..........

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  23. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

Greg Schiano is a GOD there and loves North Jersey.

I was at Rutgers last night. New Brunswick is a pretty cool town now with lots of development because NYC is so high priced. They did a ton of renovations to their stadium and they are well supported. Rutgers is on the way up and they have the resources to do it.

24. stampy

stampy Well-Known Member

I have heard that Schiano is holding out for the Penn State job. Can't remember where, but I'm sure was a reliable source:smile2:

25. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Schiano could go anywhere, what can NU offer that the other high profile coaching vacancies cant?

26. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Better schedule. Easier recruiting. Devoted, non-schitzophrenic fans. Stable administration.

Really, all NU has to offer is a bunch of money (which could probably be matched anyway) and history/tradition. The history/tradition part of it is pretty useless nowadays. Look at the wonders it's done for Notre Dame. :huh:

27. atlbuff

atlbuff Club Member Club Member

rutgers has a little more history tradition than about any other school, and most people don't even know it. first football game was at rutgers vs. princeton. i realize they haven't done much since, but that is a hell of a lot of tradition they helped create.

28. Pezman

Pezman Member

Am I the only one who just doesnt give two ****s what the hell the Red do as long as it involves losing?

29. IDBUFF

IDBUFF Active Member

I am with you Pez - the only thing I want to know about Neb is how bad the Buffs beat 'em.

30. Craven Creek

Craven Creek Member

Yes they have two redshirts Witt and Lee.:thumbsup: