1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rumor has it -- Calhoun

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Lt.Col.FrankSlade, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

So the "scoop" says that Troy Calhoun is the pick at this point in time.

Sincerely hope that isn't true.

2. Del

Del Member

Hope it isn't true as well. CJ and Klatt were pretty high on him as a coach, but worry he won't be able to recruit the kind of athletes we need at CU to get back into the game. Klatt seems to think that Calhoun won't accept the job if offered. Klatt thinks if Calhoun will leave the AFA it will only be for a top tier job i.e. a Michigan, USC, Florida level gig. Katt made the point that these schools are old and proven commodities and the programs do a lot on their past long term rep to sell themselves. He argued you don't have to be as good of a recruiter at a place like this vs. CU....I hope he's right about Calhoun turning us down if offered.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  3. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

They haven't even interviewed candidates yet, and the search comittee is just being finalized today. I'd take all these rumors with a large grain o' salt.

4. Del

Del Member

The last thing I'll say about this is it seems like this hire would really alienate a lot of the donors and boosters we still have for the program with this hire. I think at this point with our finances the way they are you have to get a hire that people are excited about i.e. Mac and EB in some coaching role. How can Bohn continue to expect us to support the program if you don't give the people what they want?

5. SkiTownUSA

SkiTownUSA Administrator Club Member Junta Member

Who said he expects anything, or that he's not going to give us what we want? This is just another rumor. As stated above by buffedup, they haven't even finalized the search committee, or interview candidates yet. I'd suggest not getting to caught up in all this for a couple of weeks. I'm personally taking the wait and see approach.

6. CUwhit21

CUwhit21 Club Member Club Member

Is this Sly's scoop? The guy was saying he got a "VM from a good source" that Hawk would be the coach through the end of the year.. Saturday night after the KU game.

He may have great connections in the AD and with donors, but either he or his contacts have an agenda..and he pushes it.

7. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

He most definitely has an agenda.

8. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

to play devil's advocate, it's not Bohn's job to produce a coach that is the fan-consumer's choice based on Buff glory 20 years ago. if people are withholding donations on the stipulation that former Buff greatness is the #1 factor in hiring a coach....that seems kind of childish to me. i'm going to take my ball/donations and go home. then what? pull out your old Blues Traveler or Spin Doctors cassettes out and rock the early 90's.

9. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

On the other hand it seems irresponsible for people to take their 'booster' money and just toss it in the pot, when the guy that ****ed up the last coaching hire is getting set to possibly do it again. If you are paying, you want some say in what you are paying for. If I have a charity I support but they start taking trips and blowing money then I stop finacially supporting them. At this point, the first name I heard Bohn liked was Calhoun, and it sounds like (just like last time) that he gets focused on one candidate and does not waver. If he hires Calhoun, I hope Troy does well here, but I am ready for some CU traditions and fire back on the sideline, and I think that Mac and Miles are the only two that gets me very excited about Buff football comeing back quickly. Mac because he probably comes with EB (would probably be a neccesary addition -- another person we are fired up about, but maybe lacking in some experience at the BCS level as a HC). Have to say that Hoke is becoming my #3 choice, which in reality would be the number 1, since it is becomeing obvious they dont want Mac and Miles is a huge longshot.

10. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

AFA's final game of the season is this weekend. I hope Bohn doesn't announce Calhoun as the new HC before the CU-NU game.

11. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

to re-iterate what several people above have mentioned the search commitee isnt even finalized yet, and no-one has been interviewed.

12. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Does anybody think the "search committee" is really going to have any sway in this decision? In the end - the decision is going to come down to Mike Bohn - is it not?

13. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

did you get that from Sly ?

14. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

remember the last time we had a Calhoun on our football team?

15. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

I'm not going to panic just yet. But this is upsetting to read.

This hire will divide the donors and fans (not the people here because we live and die this stuff).

16. BinaryBuff

BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

If the search committee is anything like the last search (Neinas), it'll get the list down to ~5 candidates that are interested in CU and then it's Bohn's decision. If Calhoun makes the 5, and if Bohn really is set on him like the rumors seem to imply, then I'm guessing that's the direction Bohn goes.

I'm just hoping Bohn goes into this process with an open mind and no favorites before really evaluating the candidates.

17. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

I guess I haven't been paying close attention on Calhoun, why is he the devil incarnate?

18. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Didn't we read that DiStephano and Benson want a say too? I have no clue who really has final power here.

19. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Hawk 2.0

20. Darian3Hagan

He is the my least favorite candidate and I hope he would turn down the job.

21. DrunkPanda

DrunkPanda Active Member

is there a stipulation in bohn's contract that states every single coaching hire bohn makes must be someone that is currently coaching in colorado? :wow:

22. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

I think there's a thread or two out there on it. Nobody thinks Calhoun is the devil incarnate, unless you think Dan Hawkins is the devil incarnate, as which there are some fans (myself included) who would consider Calhoun to be the devil incarnate 2.0.

23. Darian3Hagan

If must hire someone in Colorado hire Mac. Think of the savings on the relocation costs!

24. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

The real CU fans will support the new coach no matter who he is. To the CU fans that don't fit that category: GET LOST

25. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Dave Plati? Is that you, Dave?

26. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

So if we re-hired Dan Hawkins tomorrow, would you support him?

27. Darian3Hagan

So you can't be a real fan if you disagree with a hire? that a great idea let's tell supporters that this school desperately needs **** off. Take that true fan garbage somewhere else.

28. Darian3Hagan

Any fan that has stood by and watched this garbage the last 5 years is as real as it gets. They should be rewarded with a real home run this time

29. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Because some dudes on another message board who hate the current AD say so.

30. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

If he ends up being our guy, Ill support him. However, I support our President and think he sucks ass.