What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rumor Has It That Riar Geer Is Eligible This Fall

I agree that anywhere from 1-3 games is the likely suspension length but one thing I think no one has considered is that he still has a sentencing hearing on August 18th to get through. Maybe I missed something but isn't there a chance he could end up serving time? I feel like if he does that would change things quite a bit.

I agree that anywhere from 1-3 games is the likely suspension length but one thing I think no one has considered is that he still has a sentencing hearing on August 18th to get through. Maybe I missed something but isn't there a chance he could end up serving time? I feel like if he does that would change things quite a bit.

There is a chance, but I would be surprised if he spent any time in the clink. As part of the plea for a first-time offender, his lawyer would certainly have gotten a pledge from the DA to recommend that the judge impose a punishment that does not involve jail. My guess is that he will pay a fine, do some community service, and be on probation for a while.

He won't serve time on a 3rd degree assault charge.

He won't serve time on a 3rd degree assault charge.

That's sort of what I figured/hoped but I think the max sentence is 18 months so I just wanted to be sure. We have enough lawyers on this site that I figured there were at least a few out there who have a better feel for this than I do.

It seems we had a similar discussion in the Spring. Penn State had a couple of players in altercations, maybe in January and were able to serve their suspensions during the Spring Semester. They will play in the Fall and I didn't hear the usual "they got off easy...if this had been CU it would have been different" chatter. Everybody seemed to agree that they'd been appropriately punished. It wouldn't break my heart to see Geer sit out a game or two, but this was a misdemeanor and he has already been suspended. Either way, I'm fine.

He may have been technically suspended, but a suspension from practice is hardly a punishment. It's kinda like when people get put on "paid administrative leave" when there's an investigation going on.

He may have been technically suspended, but a suspension from practice is hardly a punishment. It's kinda like when people get put on "paid administrative leave" when there's an investigation going on.

Or like when they get a "paid suspension from practice" at OU... :lol:

It wasn't so many years ago that a total of 21 players in the course of 1 season from the Penn St football team were arrested on a multitude of different charges. Only 6 were suspended from the program. Were all aware of Miami's past reputation, also this year at Alabama, 10 have been arrested and most all have been suspended for the season or forever. Georgia & Georgia Tech are having similer problems, and the 08/09 season hasn't even started yet! Even though Geer screwed up, what Riar did pales in comparison to what happened at those other schools. I'll never condone what he did was OK, just drawing a comparison.

There are so many factors that go into length of the suspension. Previous discipline, attitude of the person involved, effect of the behavior on the team and other players, degree of culpability, etc. I am sure Hawkin will factor all these and more and will make a good decision. I also agree that 3rd degree assault first time offender is not going to do any time.

Yeah, missing spring ball might have meant more to him if he were in a real dog-fight for a position/playing time. He loses some reps but that's about the extent of the damage from the spring (reputation aside).

Gut feeling is that Hawk will suspend him for the first 2 games. Just a hunch....

Yeah, missing spring ball might have meant more to him if he were in a real dog-fight for a position/playing time. He loses some reps but that's about the extent of the damage from the spring (reputation aside).

Gut feeling is that Hawk will suspend him for the first 2 games. Just a hunch....

I could see that. He misses ESU and CSU.

ITB gets rep for breaking the rumor early and for getting it right.

Back