What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rumor Mill is on to Richt Now... Smoke or Fire?

I think Richt is a solid coach, but my issue with him is, he consistently get's top 10 national recruiting classes yet he very rarely competes for the SEC title and has never sniffed a national championship. I think he has one title in 10 years. They also tend to lose their biggest games year in and year out. He sounds very Barnett like.

I think Richt is a solid coach, but my issue with him is, he consistently get's top 10 national recruiting classes yet he very rarely competes for the SEC title and has never sniffed a national championship. I think he has one title in 10 years. They also tend to lose their biggest games year in and year out. He sounds very Barnett like.
I think his lowest rated class was in 2005. They pulled in the 10th best class in the nation. :wow:

could be wrong and too lazy to look it up so grain of salt here, but i think Richt has 2 SEC titles. they do tend to underachieve or be rated too highly pre-season but i like Richt more than Belotti at CU. can't tell you why. well, partially since i don't believe Belotti is considering the job and really not either Richt....but, I'm down with MR. for some reason.

by the way Barnett won two different BCS type conferences. name someone else that did that? Barney had a strange, up and down relationship with fate...give you that.

I'd take Richt over Belloti and would love it if he came here...don't think we are getting him or Lester for that matter but hey you never know.

The only thing that scares me about hiring a SEC coach, it's hard to ascertain if he will be successful in a limited resources environment such as CU. In the SEC, the coaches usually have the all the money, talent, support to carry them through..

no job security, one bad season moving forward and either of them will be dumped.

But dumped with a HUGE load of cash.
$18.75 mil for Miles.
$7 mil for Richt.

My bet says they would rather keep their $4 mil (Miles) and $3 mil (Richt) annual salaries and the potential early termination money, rather than the $2 mil CU might be able to put on the table.

Richt is not someone who gets me all that excited. How much of his recruiting success is circumstance/location? And he underachieves with what he has. Doesn't strike me as the right guy for a rebuild at CU.

to be fair, while his two 10-2 teams were Mac talent but 95 and 97 Nebraska were mothers. of fat chicks. seriously, 95 NU was a load. no one was going to beat those gays. guys.

Richt is not someone who gets me all that excited. How much of his recruiting success is circumstance/location? And he underachieves with what he has. Doesn't strike me as the right guy for a rebuild at CU.

Is UGA more talented than Florida?

I'd say they're consistently less talented and not much ahead of South Carolina and Tennessee in the SEC East.

In 9 years at UGA, he has won the East twice, tied for 1st twice but lost the tiebreaker, never finished below 3rd, won over 2/3 of his SEC games, and averaged 10 wins a season.

That's what you consider underachieving?

Is UGA more talented than Florida?

I'd say they're consistently less talented and not much ahead of South Carolina and Tennessee in the SEC East.

In 9 years at UGA, he has won the East twice, tied for 1st twice but lost the tiebreaker, never finished below 3rd, won over 2/3 of his SEC games, and averaged 10 wins a season.

That's what you consider underachieving?

Math is hard

I've got to look this up, but I also think he's been named Rivals' recruiter of the year at least once (when at FSU, iirc).

Please no! Hawkins actually beat this guy once and should've beat him twice. Good recruiter in the south but we need someone with connections out west.

Please no! Hawkins actually beat this guy once and should've beat him twice. Good recruiter in the south but we need someone with connections out west.

Hawk beat Stoops as well so not the best of theories.

Nothing personal against him. I know his record, and don't think he's a horrible coach or anything. Did Georgia have problems recruiting before he got there? Just don't see him as the guy to bring CU football back.

I read a year or so ago that Richt's son was a star quarterback and Richt told his son to go somewhere other than Georgia. Right there is something that sets him apart from Hawk and recommends him.

mark-richt2.jpg

We beat Georgia despite Hawk. We had the players balling out with the emotion from the 1990 team reunion with Mac and EB around and also a little bit of luck at the end with the forced fumble.

The beatdown UGA laid on Colt Brennan's Hawaii team in the Sugar Bowl really sticks out in my mind - Richt coached some damn good teams - I like this guy...decent hair too, not great, but decent.

The huge problem with the job security argument that you guys are overlooking is that getting fired from an LSU or UGA doesn't mean the end of a coaching career. Les Miles and Mark Richt are both guys that, barring MAJOR incident, would immediately be offered high-profile jobs upon termination -- probably jobs with pay at least equal to what CU can offer now. Additionally, as another poster stated, these guys have massive buyouts. Taking a job at CU is unlikely to be a net financial gain for them, IMO.

Not trying to be a downer here, but this is a pretty erroneous argument. If a name guy like this is going to come to CU it will be because we expand our budget or because they have non-monetary concerns. With our stated budget of less than two million, we aren't going to be bringing these kind of coaches here for the primary reason of CU being the financial best-case-scenario for them, because it won't be.

Last edited:
Only way we get Richt, imo, is if Georgia fires him this season. I don't think it's likely he's going to walk away from that kind of money to move across the country out of his comfort zone.

Richt is an awesome coach, you guys would seriously rather have some unknown or even Mac 15 years removed from coaching, over this guy? His negatives include not winning the National Championship and not winning the SEC enough?

Back