What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rumor Mill is on to Richt Now... Smoke or Fire?

Those programs will have top 25 classes every year regardless of who is the coach.

This is true but Richt pulls in Top 10 classes year in and year out against the biggest of the big boys which is more impressive. Of all the candidates mentioned he is the most accomplished recruiter.

This is true but Richt pulls in Top 10 classes year in and year out against the biggest of the big boys which is more impressive. Of all the candidates mentioned he is the most accomplished recruiter.

Especially QBs. 2 Heisman winners at Florida State and a #1 overall draft pick at Georgia.

UGA pulls top 10 classes because they're UGA. Could probably count on one hand the number of times in the last 35 yrs that they haven't.

Anyone who can manage at least 6-7 wins a year and stay off of TMZ will pull top 25 classes here, IMO. Once again, not really that big an accomplishment if the last 30 yrs is any indicator. The real question is if anything Richt has done to be successful at UGA is relatable to CU. Sorry, but after the dust clears, I think he would be a very average coach here.

Once again nothing personal against Richt. And if he ends up here, I really hope I'm wrong about him. I was high on him at first, but then really started thinking about it. Just not a good fit for a program trying to get back up off the mat.

Last edited:
I'm not much of a Richt fan myself - especially if he brings some of his assistants with him from UGA (we DO NOT want Bobo!). From what I know by dating a Dawg, Richt is a nice guy, very religious & is probably going to pull a Mac at some point & leave coaching for a bit to focus on his religious interests. A few years back, when Georgia danced on the field as a team in the Florida game, Richt had some spark. The Georgia teams don't seem to have that killer instinct anymore.

Also, I really didn't like the Athens police blotter from the past 6 months. After your AD humiliates your school like he did, it shows a little bit of lack of control when 10+ kids go on to get arrested/suspended in the months following.

The real question is if anything Richt has done to be successful at UGA is relatable to CU.
This.

We ask this question ad nauseum for the mid-major guys, but I don't know why we don't for the BCS guys. Probably has lots to do with our last hire.

I'm not much of a Richt fan myself - especially if he brings some of his assistants with him from UGA (we DO NOT want Bobo!). From what I know by dating a Dawg, Richt is a nice guy, very religious & is probably going to pull a Mac at some point & leave coaching for a bit to focus on his religious interests. A few years back, when Georgia danced on the field as a team in the Florida game, Richt had some spark. The Georgia teams don't seem to have that killer instinct anymore.

Also, I really didn't like the Athens police blotter from the past 6 months. After your AD humiliates your school like he did, it shows a little bit of lack of control when 10+ kids go on to get arrested/suspended in the months following.

+1

Jesus, did you read this:

Except it's not a win for Richt. It's a huge loss. Say you make 100k a year at your current job and your employer clearly believes you've been underperforming - it's possible you may be terminated within a year. If said employer owes you 300k straight up if he fires you, and you know you can get another job paying a little less, say 80k a year, immediately after termination, are you going to bolt for a 70k a year job with an arguably better benefits package and a little more job security? **** and No you're not. Exactly why Richt won't be visiting Boulder anytime soon unless he gets fired.

He's not coming here and this thread is utter garbage.

Jesus, did you read this:

Except it's not a win for Richt. It's a huge loss. Say you make 100k a year at your current job and your employer clearly believes you've been underperforming - it's possible you may be terminated within a year. If said employer owes you 300k straight up if he fires you, and you know you can get another job paying a little less, say 80k a year, immediately after termination, are you going to bolt for a 70k a year job with an arguably better benefits package and a little more job security? **** and No you're not. Exactly why Richt won't be visiting Boulder anytime soon unless he gets fired.

He's not coming here and this thread is utter garbage.

Which is good, because he's clearly not qualified to coach at CU.

Which is good, because he's clearly not qualified to coach at CU.

No, now that I think about it he may be perfect for CU. Fans are'nt looking for the guy to bring in our next MNC, just a big name to make them feel warm and fuzzy, even if he is somebody's castoff.

Seriously, the guy isnt getting it done at UGA. What the **** is he going to do here without the inherent advantages of being in the South. I cant think of any MNC winning coach that got canned from a previous team for losing games.

No, now that I think about it he may be perfect for CU. Fans are'nt looking for the guy to bring in our next MNC, just a big name to make them feel warm and fuzzy, even if he is somebody's castoff.

Seriously, the guy isnt getting it done at UGA. What the **** is he going to do here without the inherent advantages of being in the South. I cant think of any MNC winning coach that got canned from a previous team for losing games.

I'm not saying that I think Richt is the best candidate for CU but what do you seriously expect? I really doubt that Pete Carroll, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Mack Brown or Jim Tressel are going to leave their positions to come coach at CU. So, we're left with looking at candidates who have not won a MNC (unless you mean we have to hire coach Mac).

The more I read responses like this, the more I like the "letter" that Buffnik posted. We want somebody who has BCS experience but not one who sucked so much he couldn't win a MNC.

Schhhhory to dishappoint you my friend.

lou-holtz.jpg

I have to laugh at those that don't think that Richt is good enough for CU. He would be almost a perfect fit, IMO.

That being said...he is not coming to CU unless something strange happens - As far as a pay cut...I think Richt could live well on $2.4 million a year (this is what CU would probably pay).

I'm not saying that I think Richt is the best candidate for CU but what do you seriously expect? I really doubt that Pete Carroll, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Mack Brown or Jim Tressel are going to leave their positions to come coach at CU. So, we're left with looking at candidates who have not won a MNC (unless you mean we have to hire coach Mac).

You are right. Carroll, Meyer, Saban and the likes are not coming to CU. That is why you need to roll the dice and hope that you catch lighting in a bottle. The key is limiting your risk if you strike out.

Pete Carroll is dirty, Urban Meyer is burnt out, Mack Brown can't do it without Texas resources, and Jim Tressel can't win the big game.

Really, unless we can get Nick Saban I don't think anyone is qualified to coach at CU. And even then, it's a risk. Will he understand CU and Boulder? How much does he recruit on the west coast?

Pete Carroll is dirty, Urban Meyer is burnt out, Mack Brown can't do it without Texas resources, and Jim Tressel can't win the big game.

Really, unless we can get Nick Saban I don't think anyone is qualified to coach at CU. And even then, it's a risk. Will he understand CU and Boulder? How much does he recruit on the west coast?

Nick Saban is a mercenary. If he came to CU he'd just leave in a couple years anyway. We need somebody that will stick around and build the program... :smile2:

I don't see the similarity at all...

It goes like this, Junc:

Anyone who has had a ton of success at a major program wouldn't come to CU unless he was burnt out and just wanted to collect a nice paycheck in a nice place before retirement. Therefore, every great coach from a big-time program is a bad fit for CU.

You are right. Carroll, Meyer, Saban and the likes are not coming to CU. That is why you need to roll the dice and hope that you catch lighting in a bottle. The key is limiting your risk if you strike out.

I nominate Coach firefly...fly.jpg

Both did average jobs at big time schools. I do not think Richt is a good coach.

Six top 10 finishes in 9 seasons. Four 1st place finishes in the SEC East. He's also got those 2 National Championships and 2 Heisman Trophy winners as an offensive coordinator before he left FSU and they fell apart.

What do you want? I really want to know who you think is a good coach.

It goes like this, Junc:

Anyone who has had a ton of success at a major program wouldn't come to CU unless he was burnt out and just wanted to collect a nice paycheck in a nice place before retirement. Therefore, every great coach from a big-time program is a bad fit for CU.

I don't think Richt is a great coach is the onyl problem

Six top 10 finishes in 9 seasons. Four 1st place finishes in the SEC East. He's also got those 2 National Championships and 2 Heisman Trophy winners as an offensive coordinator before he left FSU and they fell apart.

What do you want? I really want to know who you think is a good coach.

He should have done better

I don't think Fairbanks would be a good comparison - Richt is not a lazy drunk. I think he'd be more of a Gnuheisal. Slick's record looked pretty good too when he had talent out the ears. CU's next coach isn't going to have that luxury.

Back