What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rumors about other possible issues at PSU....

Advertisers are already pulling their dollars for this weekend's PSU game.....

Cars.com reporting it has pulled its ad.

Advertisers are already pulling their dollars for this weekend's PSU game.....

Cars.com reporting it has pulled its ad.

It's an interesting business question for the tv networks. Ratings will be astronomical for this Saturday's game. But will any company want to have its products advertised during it?

What I was asking is whether it would still be worth it for the network? I think it would because viewership sets future ad rates.

there is upside for still having your ads on there, but it's much like peddling blood diamonds

If I see that 'We are! Penn State' ad again I'd puke. If ratings are astronomical, the message needs to be positive in context. Maybe other B1G schools should advertise during the game. I'd pull ads from PSU for the next ten years. This is likely going deeper.

If I see that 'We are! Penn State' ad again I'd puke. If ratings are astronomical, the message needs to be positive in context. Maybe other B1G schools should advertise during the game. I'd pull ads from PSU for the next ten years. This is likely going deeper.

Poor kids.

-- I'm a Guy On A Buffalo --

I'm sure there will be other companies that will step up and fill the advertising void.

Sad but true.

I'm sure there will be other companies that will step up and fill the advertising void.

Sad but true.

I guess I'm missing something here, but I'm not sure why companies wouldn't advertise during this game. JoePa won't be there. Sandusky won't be there. McQueary now apparently won't even be there. Nobody on the team is accused of any wrongdoing. What is happening Saturday is a football game. I don't see anything shameful about that. Things could definitely turn ugly with the fans, but I don't see that as the fault of anybody who advertises...

I guess I'm missing something here, but I'm not sure why companies wouldn't advertise during this game. JoePa won't be there. Sandusky won't be there. McQueary now apparently won't even be there. Nobody on the team is accused of any wrongdoing. What is happening Saturday is a football game. I don't see anything shameful about that. Things could definitely turn ugly with the fans, but I don't see that as the fault of anybody who advertises...

:yeahthat:

Paterno is permanently stained, anyone working in the athletic department is permanently stained from coaches to secretaries, anyone in the administration is likely to be permanently stained.

Even though Penn State is one of those schools that I would never want to see win a game unless they are playing one of the few schools I dislike more I truly do feel for the players. They weren't informed of all this when they signed LOI's, they aren't the ones who covered for a pedophile for at least a couple of decades, they aren't the ones who should bear the brunt of this.

I do believe that PSU should not go to a bowl game and that the department should be gutted. At the same time I hope that people will let the players just go out and play.

I wouldn't pull tv advertising. There will always be the people who write angry letters just like they do for advertisers on shows like Modern Family. The exposure helps more than it hurts your brand, imo. But most companies are scared to death about being associated in any way with controversy.

As I said, I would pull ads from the PSU program or stadium. That money goes to the university and I would choose not to line PSU's pockets at the moment.

So you'd go so far as to suggest they cancel the remainder of the season? Just curious
Saturday is their last home game. On the road for the next two and they should play them. I'm not against the team. Personally, I wouldn't advertise my name with Penn State for years.

Promoting a Penn State team in a bowl game is going to be a nightmare for somebody. Sponsors aren't going to want to be associated with PSU, tickets very hard to sell, even tough for the other team to be associated with the game.

Even though the players aren't involved in the pedophilia bowls often involve a lot of activities with local youth. Having PSU involved in those activities is going to be very uncomfortable.

I wouldn't pull tv advertising. There will always be the people who write angry letters just like they do for advertisers on shows like Modern Family. The exposure helps more than it hurts your brand, imo. But most companies are scared to death about being associated in any way with controversy.

As I said, I would pull ads from the PSU program or stadium. That money goes to the university and I would choose not to line PSU's pockets at the moment.

Agreed about the programs and stadium ads. Those are almost always geared toward some kind of "Go Penn State" (or whoever) kind of theme, and the school gets the money as you point out. I would definitely not want to be seen supporting the AD right now. But a network broadcast? I guess I don't see why anybody would pull their ads from that? It's pretty much the same as saying that the game shouldn't be being played at all, and with JoePa gone now I don't really see the point in that...

Paterno is permanently stained, anyone working in the athletic department is permanently stained from coaches to secretaries, anyone in the administration is likely to be permanently stained.

Even though Penn State is one of those schools that I would never want to see win a game unless they are playing one of the few schools I dislike more I truly do feel for the players. They weren't informed of all this when they signed LOI's, they aren't the ones who covered for a pedophile for at least a couple of decades, they aren't the ones who should bear the brunt of this.

I do believe that PSU should not go to a bowl game and that the department should be gutted. At the same time I hope that people will let the players just go out and play.

Secretaries? A little over the top..

PSU will go to a bowl game and they should. This story has very little to do with football.

Promoting a Penn State team in a bowl game is going to be a nightmare for somebody. Sponsors aren't going to want to be associated with PSU, tickets very hard to sell, even tough for the other team to be associated with the game.

So if Penn State makes it to the Rose Bowl you think it won't be a sellout? How much money do you want to bet on that?

So if Penn State makes it to the Rose Bowl you think it won't be a sellout? How much money do you want to bet on that?

Should PSU go to the Rose bowl it would still be a sellout but probably at least 75%/25% for the PAC team.

As I stated earlier the players shouldn't have to suffer for the errors of those running the program. That said they will. The nature of the crimes involved are going to make everything with a Penn State logo on it poison.

As to the secretaries I was trying to make a point about them cleaning house. That said it may end up being a complete and total cleaning house to the full extent they can legally get away with. The secretaries and other support staff are probably protected by some civil service law but anyone who can go better be worried. It will also be harder to get another job with Penn State on the resume for a lot of these people.

Should PSU go to the Rose bowl it would still be a sellout but probably at least 75%/25% for the PAC team.

As I stated earlier the players shouldn't have to suffer for the errors of those running the program. That said they will. The nature of the crimes involved are going to make everything with a Penn State logo on it poison.

As to the secretaries I was trying to make a point about them cleaning house. That said it may end up being a complete and total cleaning house to the full extent they can legally get away with. The secretaries and other support staff are probably protected by some civil service law but anyone who can go better be worried. It will also be harder to get another job with Penn State on the resume for a lot of these people.

You ever spent a winter in Penn? They will bring 50,000 at least to the Rose Bowl. It will not be 50/50 especially if Stanford is in the game.

the rest of your points are so over the top. Kind of like when I talk about Greg brown.

You ever spent a winter in Penn? They will bring 50,000 at least to the Rose Bowl. It will not be 50/50 especially if Stanford is in the game.

the rest of your points are so over the top. Kind of like when I talk about Greg brown.

Under almost any other circumstance I would agree with you. This is so ugly and could get much uglier. Lots of these people will think twice about being associated with the program this year.

There will always be those fans who support regardless of the circumstances, as long as they win nothing else matters. This situation though is so ugly that I don't think there are going to be huge numbers of those.

Winter in Pennsylvania does suck but this year a lot will go to Florida instead of the bowl game.

The more that comes out, the worse this gets. At first, it was kind of funny, because it all happened someplace else. Then, as the details started leaking out, it wasn't funny anymore. It was tragic. But it was still isolated at one school. Now, I'm beginning to think that this casts a shadow over all of collegiate sports. Football camps, coaches foundations, etc. This has the makings of a catastrophic chain of events.

Raping a child is funny because it happens someplace else? Jesus ****ing Christ.

Poor kids.

-- I'm a Guy On A Buffalo --

sick mofo:lol:

Raping a child is funny? Jesus ****ing Christ!

The more that comes out, the worse this gets. At first, it was kind of funny, because it all happened someplace else. Then, as the details started leaking out, it wasn't funny anymore. It was tragic. But it was still isolated at one school. Now, I'm beginning to think that this casts a shadow over all of collegiate sports. Football camps, coaches foundations, etc. This has the makings of a catastrophic chain of events.

I agree. For years many campus groups (from faculty to gay rights) have been complaining about athletics getting out of hand and becoming inconsistent with a university's true purpose. Profs hate it that coaches make 10x or more of what they do. IMO' there will be a nationwide reaction and a scaling back of college sports.

I agree. For years many campus groups (from faculty to gay rights) have been complaining about athletics getting out of hand and becoming inconsistent with a university's true purpose. Profs hate it that coaches make 10x or more of what they do. IMO' there will be a nationwide reaction and a scaling back of college sports.

... And some campuses will be impacted by antifootball sentiment more than others.

Back