What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rutgers' Mike Rice on thin ice

I've learned "never say never" even though it seems like career suicide, I concur that he'll land somewhere and build himself back up.

Just heard a great idea for Rutgers on the radio.

Call Ben Howland.

Rutgers is a sleeping giant about to enter the B1G.

Howland has won everywhere he's been, including in the east at Pitt. Even at UCLA, some of his top recruits were from the NY metro area.

Would be a perfect fit if Howland was interested.

That's brilliant. I was down on Howland at UCLA - mainly because he didn't fit the "style" that UCLA should play (IMO), but his pound it out and slow it down pace would work perfect back east and in the B1G.

So with this public embarassment what is next in Mike Rice's career. I would not hire him for any job but somebody will.

Does he get an assistants job at a major program, at at mid to low level D1 program. Is he out of D1 entirely. Would a school ever consider hiring him as a HC in the next few years.

Looking at what some others have gotten away with and still gotten jobs nothing would surprise me but on the other hand Rice is a lawsuit waiting to happen and he didn't win as a HC at Rutgers.

He would be an excellent Head of Basketball Officials in the Pac 12.

I'm sure that joke has been made somewhere before.

He'll replace Eustachy at CSU.

Is that an Earl Bruce reference?

So this whole drama got me thinking. Not that I would ever suspect Tad of behaving in this manner, but what if he did? What would our reaction be? We are so desperate to support a winning program that I suspect there would be a significant number of people who would find a way to justify or excuse this kind of thing.

afikpw.gif

So this whole drama got me thinking. Not that I would ever suspect Tad of behaving in this manner, but what if he did? What would our reaction be? We are so desperate to support a winning program that I suspect there would be a significant number of people who would find a way to justify or excuse this kind of thing.

Really?

After what happened with Barnett, you think people would turn a blind eye?

I think if it were just a little verbal abuse, you would be correct. But not to the level that Rice took it, you can't justify that.

I think if it were just a little verbal abuse, you would be correct. But not to the level that Rice took it, you can't justify that.

Exactly. We could accept someone from the Bobby Knight school as long as he was winning. But we wouldn't put up with what Rice was doing.

Really?

The situation is much different now than when Barnett was here. We weren't coming off of seven straight losing football seasons then. Boyle is all we got for the time being. If our football team were going to bowl games, the fans would be less tolerant of an abusive basketball coach who happens to be winning.

Anyway, it's offseason and there isn't much to talk about. Boyle isn't anything like Rice, so I'm just throwing out random thoughts.

The thing about the Mike Rice situation that is not going away is the use of gay slurs. No other campus employee could use that language toward a student and avoid being fired.

Also, I don't know how aware people outside New Jersey are about the Tyler Clementi tragedy from a couple years ago. He committed suicide after him kissing another guy ended up spread through social media on the Rutgers campus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Tyler_Clementi

I'm not a win at all costs type. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt initially most likely, but if more evidenced surfaced, I would support his removal. And let's face it, he isn't Joe Paterno yet.

Yes, I'm sure many would support him knowing how bad our football team is and how basketball is the one thing we can pride ourselves on right now.

Really?

You have no idea until it actually happens (and hopefully nothing close to that ever will), but people tend to protect their own. Not saying they would in this case, but it's not like people at Penn State weren't clouded by all of Joe Paterno's success, that the rest of the country could care less about.

The thing about the Mike Rice situation that is not going away is the use of gay slurs. No other campus employee could use that language toward a student and avoid being fired.

Also, I don't know how aware people outside New Jersey are about the Tyler Clementi tragedy from a couple years ago. He committed suicide after him kissing another guy ended up spread through social media on the Rutgers campus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Tyler_Clementi
I remember that, although I hadn't thought of it. Homohpobia is a lot less accepted in that area than say the Bible Belt.

The situation is much different now than when Barnett was here. We weren't coming off of seven straight losing football seasons then. Boyle is all we got for the time being. If our football team were going to bowl games, the fans would be less tolerant of an abusive basketball coach who happens to be winning.

Anyway, it's offseason and there isn't much to talk about. Boyle isn't anything like Rice, so I'm just throwing out random thoughts.
I like to think so, but how many times times have we been shocked by certain public figures? I can't forsee it, but nothing really shocks me much anymore.

Rutgers AD resigns

Looks like he originally wanted to fire Rice back in November, but got overruled by the university bureaucracy (and presumably, the president ... he may go next).

Pernetti, it seems, wanted to fire Rice back in December but wasn't allowed to based on the opinion of outside counsel. ****ing lawyers. They ruin businesses and other organizations.

Pernetti, it seems, wanted to fire Rice back in December but wasn't allowed to based on the opinion of outside counsel. ****ing lawyers. They ruin businesses, websites, and other organizations.

fify

Rutgers AD resigns

Looks like he originally wanted to fire Rice back in November, but got overruled by the university bureaucracy (and presumably, the president ... he may go next).
Not buying it, it convienetly came out yesterday of his "plans." Previously, he stated he considered firing him, but felt rehabilitation was appropriate. He's lying one of those times.

Agreed. The pussification of America is in full swing.
So are you saying Rice should've kept his job and throwing basketball, using gay slurs isn't that bad? The only way people are seriously defending Rice is talking about how "soft" our society is. There's a fine line between being intense and being verbally/physically abusive.

Whole situation has reached overblown status.

Overruled. Your objection is noted and in most circumstances correct, but not in this case. This coaching staff was highly abusive towards students at the University, and given that a gay student at the school had taken their life very recently due to an extraordinary invasion of privacy, the gay slurs were in horribly bad taste. The coach was just stupid and abusive which got him fired. The AD and others deserved to be because of the cover up. As they always say, it's not the crime that gets you in trouble, it is the cover up.

Overruled. Your objection is noted and in most circumstances correct, but not in this case. This coaching staff was highly abusive towards students at the University, and given that a gay student at the school had taken their life very recently due to an extraordinary invasion of privacy, the gay slurs were in horribly bad taste. The coach was just stupid and abusive which got him fired. The AD and others deserved to be because of the cover up. As they always say, it's not the crime that gets you in trouble, it is the cover up.

A program that hasn't made the NCAA Tournament in 22 years doesn't warrant being talked about to the degree that it's overshadowing the Final Four. Pernetti didn't need to be fired ("resign"). Action was already taken during the year with Rice's suspension/losing 10% of his salary. While some players defected, others have said it was never as bad as it appears. I don't give a **** about verbal abuse. Physicality, I will never stand for or tolerate. Verbal abuse is a nature of the game. It happens far more often than apparently anyone who has ever set foot on a basketball practice court knows. That's the simple truth. Rice is rightfully gone, that's that.

Where did all the fire about Mike Montgomery go? He's clearly a physically abusive, devilish, hate-filled man for the incident that happened there. Why hasn't be been fired? Why is Cal's AD not gone? Come on people, let's lead the charge. Speak up. End this abuse.

Last edited:
A program that hasn't made the NCAA Tournament in 22 years doesn't warrant being talked about to the degree that it's overshadowing the Final Four. Pernetti didn't need to be fired ("resign"). Action was already taken during the year with Rice's suspension/losing 10% of his salary. While some players defected, others have said it was never as bad as it appears. I don't give a **** about verbal abuse. Physicality, I will never stand for or tolerate. Verbal abuse is a nature of the game. It happens far more often than apparently anyone who has ever set foot on a basketball practice court knows. That's the simple truth. Rice is rightfully gone, that's that.

Where did all the fire about Mike Montgomery go? He's clearly a physically abusive, devilish, hate-filled man for the incident that happened there. Why hasn't be been fired? Why is Cal's AD not gone? Come on people, let's lead the charge. Speak up. End this abuse.
The AD saw that video and thought a soft punishment was warranted. He's clearly backtracking now because his previous statement was saying how he thought rehabilitation was the right course. He's either lying now or lying then.

If there was more video of a repeated pattern with Mike Montgomery, he'd be gone too. Personally, I thought more should've been done. It's not even comparable with the evidence that's out there.

There's a fine line between verbal abuse and being intense. You can't have one of the highest paid(and most visible) state employees using homophobic slurs. I actually think if it was just that and not the physical abuse, he'd likely attend sensitivity training, be volunteering with the Human Rights Campaign, and given zero tolerance.

It's harder to fire someone on hearsay. I'm sure this kind of stuff goes on more often than we'd like to believe, but unless documented evidence exists it's tough to take necessary action.

The AD saw that video and thought a soft punishment was warranted. He's clearly backtracking now because his previous statement was saying how he thought rehabilitation was the right course. He's either lying now or lying then.

If there was more video of a repeated pattern with Mike Montgomery, he'd be gone too. Personally, I thought more should've been done. It's not even comparable with the evidence that's out there.

There's a fine line between verbal abuse and being intense. You can't have one of the highest paid(and most visible) state employees using homophobic slurs. I actually think if it was just that and not the physical abuse, he'd likely attend sensitivity training, be volunteering with the Human Rights Campaign, and given zero tolerance.

It's harder to fire someone on hearsay. I'm sure this kind of stuff goes on more often than we'd like to believe, but unless documented evidence exists it's tough to take necessary action.

Okay, but now that it's clear where society stands, I want every coach fired who refers to his team as "ladies". Not to mention every coach who grabs a player when they don't set a screen right, or don't box out properly.

Okay, but now that it's clear where society stands, I want every coach fired who refers to his team as "ladies". Not to mention every coach who grabs a player when they don't set a screen right, or don't box out properly.

Where are you going with this, CVille? Are you defending Rice? Saying that the old ways were better? I'm not sure what your point is.

Rice is clearly an enormous asshole. Whether or not you support him says a lot about what you are.

Just my opinion.

I think some people are just defending Rice just to be contrarian like anything else. Others are doing so to make their point about a softer society. Lots of things acceptable in the 1950-60s are NOT OK in 2013. Things change over time.

Actually, I will back off the second part of my statement. People can believe what they want. Still think Rice is an enormous asshole. Glad he was shamed and is suffering financially.

Back