What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sal Aunese-Born to Lead Doc

all kidding aside, i really hope this gets released. it is a great story and the world deserves to hear it again.

good luck, george.

we're rooting for you to get this done.

now, get me a sandwich and a beer, n00b.

Man that trailer brought back memories. Sal was QB my SO year, JR year was the most moving thing i had experienced up to that point. His cancer and eventual death not oly brought the team together, it also brought the entire campus together.

Can't wait to see it.

Profile looks like she could have been cute.

salcheerleader.png

Without the effect I'm about to mention, I'm very much looking forward to this film (and have been for many years). If this film gets any kind of release, it certainly won't hurt recruiting.

I wonder if they are holding out for the Buffs to play well and more enthusiasm comes out.

Last edited:
I had started a personal convo with George lást year. Ill reconnect and report back
Just spoke with George, the producer on the phone. As most of you know the Kickstarter campaign came out recently to help them get over the hump and they have now gotten to 150% of their goal. THey could still use more however.

It is official, however, that the documentary is actually in final editing stages. They are doing a private premier in L.A. September 23rd 2014. They are still accepting donations for the next 48 hours on Kickstarter. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/borntolead/born-to-lead-the-sal-aunese-story-0

Like some have said on here, I am convinced this project will pay dividends for our Buffs, especially for FB recruiting. They are trying to make it the best ever sports doc (big shoes to fill I know) and are applying for consideration for best documentary at the Academy, etc.

CU always looking to make a dime.

I'm sure these fees were addressed before the start of filming and advertising. Mr. Antonopolous signed on the dotted line, it doesn't appear to be a case of CU trying to cash in after the fact. The film's creator knew the costs he was incurring, if he chooses to pay for those debts through a kickstarter campaign more power to him. I just wanted to add a bit more transparency to those who may donate.

I asked him about that. He said he has been working with CU and spoken with RG and they have worked out an arrangement. They sent out a press release today which included a reference to this topic:

University of Colorado - Boulder and Born to Lead Filmmakers Extend Licensing Agreement
Producers and University have come to an agreement on licensing the intellectual property and images to facilitate the finishing of the film, ‘Born To Lead: The Sal Aunese Story’.

Sal Aunese was the University of Colorado’s star Samoan quarterback who died of stomach cancer in 1989, and his team promptly dedicated their season to him. Through reflections from his friends, family, and teammates, as well as rare archival footage, Born To Lead chronicles Sal’s rise to the top as one of his team’s most valuable players and his valiant battle with the disease that took his life in 1989….

Thanks for sticking up for us, Boyd. And thanks for joining the cause. Although we have had delays, they are only due to making all the pieces fall in place together. With your help, we will be able to bring this great film to the world on 09.23.14. I hope to see you at the World Premier in Hollywood in eight months !! Thanks, George

Thanks for sticking up for us, Boyd. And thanks for joining the cause. Although we have had delays, they are only due to making all the pieces fall in place together. With your help, we will be able to bring this great film to the world on 09.23.14. I hope to see you at the World Premier in Hollywood in eight months !! Thanks, George
We are all rooting for your success with this thing. Like you, the majority of us our alums who care deeply about CU. We almost all were impacted by Sal's story. In my personal case, I was not living in Colorado, nor of age to go to Uni yet when Sal's story emerged. Actually I was enrolling at Miami of Ohio in 1989.

I was so inspired by his story that I became a CU fan in 1989 despite never having set foot yet in Colorado. I remained a Buffs fan throughout and through a range of circumstances ended up moving to Colorado in 1996 and in 1998 began my Ph.D. at CU. So I am definitely a Buff for life. Many of us believe Sal's story needs to be told because it is inspirational. But we are also openly hoping that it will help boost our football brand, particularly with recruits.

I for one am convinced it will!

Good luck with the final editing process and I do hope to see you then. If the premier is that week I may use it to head up to the Cal game on the 27th. If you have to delay the premier, maybe move it close to the game against USC on Oct. 18th.

If CU was smart......at all........they would waive the 100k, and give a 100k.
That is cheap cheap cheap advertising.
Promoting Sal could do wonders for the university.

Hilliard sounds a lot like a Volgon
"It's very difficult for the university to encourage participation in this project in good conscience with these debts still outstanding. All of us sentimentally would like to lend our full support, but the fact is that this money is owed to the university and by extension it's owed to the people of the state of Colorado."

Last edited:
To be fair, it's a licensing issue for the University. If they made him sign this contract prior to filming and he hasn't fulfilled his end of the deal, not sure why CU is the bad guy.

$100,000 to take pictures using CU campus and building backgrounds. For a movie that glorifies CU and one of it's heroes, they should have let them film it for free. Demanding payment now is horse****, wait till it comes out.

$100,000 to take pictures using CU campus and building backgrounds. For a movie that glorifies CU and one of it's heroes, they should have let them film it for free. Demanding payment now is horse****, wait till it comes out.

Demanding payment now? You mean like, after the producer agreed to and signed the contract? Look, I'd love to see this movie come out but to suggest CU is the bad guy here is ridiculous. You can't make a business by not holding up your end of a signed upon deal.

Guys this is a moot point because the producer told me directly the issue has been resolved and it is in their press release as such. There is a bigger picture of course regarding whether the administration appreciates the value of projects like this and rather than getting in the way or charging for campus access they should be showing them the red carpet.

But this project is going forward and CU is not getting in the way anymore. I don't know exactly how it was resolved but I am taking the producer's word for it. There is a planned private premier of September of this year so if all goes as planned it could be out in time to close out the 2015 class in style!

We've been waiting for this movie for years. I think I was still in law school when I first caught wind of it. I'll believe it is released when I see it.

If CU was smart......at all........they would waive the 100k, and give a 100k.
That is cheap cheap cheap advertising.
Promoting Sal could do wonders for the university.

I agree with this. Probably no better time for some positive vibes about CU than right now.

hell, with quality of videos CU has put out lately, they should volunteer facilities and expertise on the final editing...

Fyi i spoke with the director yesterday and he swears we wint have to wait much longer. But i know noone really believes that until it happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalry a hgteyiklrye mkwneeeweeeeeweeeewkkolpwpksmk pñyqr

Back