1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Say what you will about Josh McDaniels

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by sackman, Aug 3, 2010.

1. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Yesterday on KOA, he's being interviewed by Dave Logan. He says "In training camp, we need to focus on the BIG things. Stuff like kicking, and blocking techniques. We don't have time to work on that during the season because we'll be game-planning for specific opponents".

Working on the big things. What a concept.

2. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

But he made them run a lap for screwing up on the little things, like jumping offsides and dropping balls. Its all relative.

3. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Good to hear, but he also seems to like lunch pail guys. That similarity with Hawk is disturbing.

4. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

here are some big things they need to work on:

tackling, getting off blocks, scoring touchdowns, creating holes for the RB on 3rd and short.

5. Tytechortz

Tytechortz Member

McDoosh won't be around long. I still can't believe how quickly he gutted the #2 offense in the nfl.

6. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

:lol: Funny thread.

7. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

I want our team to tackle

8. sackman

That's a big thing. No room for that here. We only work on little things.

9. LongHaulBuff

LongHaulBuff Club Member Club Member

:dead-horse-fast2: WOW. This is really getting beyond old. Can't wait for the season to start.

10. Buff_since76

Buff_since76 Still a fan... Club Member

I really don't see much difference in Hawk and McDummy. You can argue that their coach speak is a little different, but it is just words in the end. Hawk in 3-9 in his last 12 games, McD is 4-8 in his. Since McD has come to the Broncos he has taken an offensive power and turned it into a wounded duck. He makes play-calls and personnel decisions that are done to show us how smart he is, and that he knows what is best. If the outcome that he wanted doesn’t come than it was someone/something else’s fault.

11. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

CU does not need to work on the big things, as they are all in order according to Hawk, however, if the little things go wrong for 2 straight seasons and prevent you from winning, doesn´t that make them big things?

Ona more serious note, I saw an interview with Jim Tressel at the Big X media day and he also talked about "little things like footwork etc." when he was talking about Pryor.

12. Darth Snow

Jim can say that. Because he does the big things. Like have a cohesive offensive philosophy.

13. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

I agree, one reason I am not around as much anymore.

14. Darth Snow

I dunno, I think sacky has been starting to freshen his approach a bit the last week or so.

15. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

On another note, this must be the first time ever that Sacky used something connected with the Broncos as the positive thing in a comparison with something CU.

16. Darth Snow

see?

17. sackman

Tressel can afford to work on the little things. He's gotten all the big things figured out. Apparently McDaniels understands that he doesn't have the big things worked out, and needs to work on them.

18. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

One of the BIG things is settling on who the QB will be. I bought myself two Tebow unis (one orange and white) and I share with my wife as well.

A lot of people have focused too much on the Tebow stuff and not enough on how improve the DL should be this season for the Buffs. We have not had much to cheer for between the Buffs and Broncos until NOW. I have that sneaking suspicion that this will be a good season of Colorado football this year.

19. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

I hate when that stat gets thrown around. They were the #16 scoring offense in the NFL, who cares if they get a bunch of yards if they can't score and can't win.

20. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Yea he said the same thing this morning on College Football Live and I had to laugh when I heard him say that about the "little things". But as Snow and Sacky pointed out, when you have a program that's in the position that Ohio State is, then it really is just the little things that need to be worked on.

21. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Even Sacky would love the Hawkism's and Zen bs if we were winning. The real question is this: Can some of you guys cheer for the Buffs this fall or are you too invested in Hawk's failure to enjoy a win?

22. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

It's in my genetic code to cheer for the Buffs, whether the HC is Fairbanks, Mac or Hawkins. Anybody that roots against CU is not a fan PERIOD.

23. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

:rolling_eyes:

:rolling_eyes:

I used to be a huge Dan Hawkins fan. I thought he had what it takes to build up a program and get us to where we wanted to be. I have gone to every home game for the past four years and cheered hard for the team, even though the last year and a half I've been pissed off. Too invested in Hawk's failure? Yeah, we shouldn't have to invest our time and money as much as we do when the coach hasn't delivered his promises. Yet we still are because we are Buffs for life.

**** you.

24. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Maybe for the entertainment value? McDaniels gutted the excitement out of the offense. The most exciting player on offense is a 5'10" WR.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  25. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Listening to a McDaniels interview is basically Hawkins without the Zen bull****. His interviews pretty much suck.

26. Tytechortz

Tytechortz Member

Just like i hate when the #16 scoring offense gets thrown around. Get a decent running back and a middle of the pack defense and that team goes to the playoffs every year. Cutler, Marshall, Royal, Sheffler and Hillis were all very young.

27. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

So what would working on the kicking game be? IMO - HUGE

28. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

McDaniels is a total pud. He should be run out of town on a rail.

29. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

The Broncos have not been an offensive power at any time in the last decade with a brief exception during parts of Plummer's last full season and a 3 game stretch during Cutler's last. The potential was there, but moving the ball quickly between the 20s doesn't make you an offensive power. And Hawk has never came close to sniffing 6-0 either while at CU.

30. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

McD reiterated the "Big Things" concept this morning on the Ticket. Stating that they have no time to work on the big things during the season and they need to be taken care of in training camp. He and DH really need to get on the same page here. I am no longer sure if the big things or the little thing are important in football.

Same thing as yesterday. Either well rehearsed or he believes it. I think he believes it since he has taken care of the big things in the last two off seasons by getting rid of his best players in Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler and Hillis. No point in seeing those guys try and mature together, let's just get some lunch pail guys in here and run with it!