What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scheduling

Regarding the scheduling, my feeling is that you either open with a complete patsy or with a marquee opponent.

A patsy gives the team the type of game that a team can work the bugs out against. It's also not bad for revenue since you can schedule a Nicholls State type team and get a huge home crowd since it's the home opener. Anything after week 1 and you don't draw for that type of matchup.

A marquee opponent doesn't hurt your season if you lose and there's a great upset chance since they're working through their own bugs for the first time in live action. Might get some breaks on turnovers and special teams in a game like that and get a win against a team that might very well boat race you later in the season when they're clicking on all cylinders.

You know what makes no sense? Scheduling a MWC opponent on the road or at a neutral site. It's the type of game that people are going to circle as an "upset special" and for good reason. MWC is easily the most talented G5 conference and just about any opponent from that conference is highly dangerous... especially opening game and most especially on the road or at a neutral site.

Why was the game so late? At first I thought it was because that's what ESPN wanted.

We were relegated to CBS sports. That's depressing.

Regarding the scheduling, my feeling is that you either open with a complete patsy or with a marquee opponent.

A patsy gives the team the type of game that a team can work the bugs out against.

A patsy? Like Montana State? Sacramento State? Eastern Washington University? University of Massachusetts?

Maybe we now know why those schools all scheduled CU. If you look around the table and you do not know who is the patsy, then you are the patsy.

A patsy? Like Montana State? Sacramento State? Eastern Washington University? University of Massachusetts?

Maybe we now know why those schools all scheduled CU. If you look around the table and you do not know who is the patsy, then you are the patsy.

Were any of those openers?

Regardless, those are supposed to be patsy opponents and are what I am talking about.

Underscores how inept the CU program has been for the past decade.

Yep I want to play the big boys, that's the way CU is supposed to do it. It sold a west Texas kid that was born in Durango. Growing up, we didn't **** around. Figure it out, no matter what.

Were any of those openers?

Regardless, those are supposed to be patsy opponents and are what I am talking about.

Underscores how inept the CU program has been for the past decade.

Montana State was Hawkins opener.

The UH game was supposed to be on Saturday and it was supposed to be at a normal time. Television changed all that. It happens when you suck.

Montana State was Hawkins opener.

The UH game was supposed to be on Saturday and it was supposed to be at a normal time. Television changed all that. It happens when you suck.
Rick George and MacInyre moved the game to Thursday. TV affected the time yes, but it was out decision to move it to Thursday.

CU should schedule all season openers at Folsom and against FCS opponents until they make a bowl game again. No projections for when they are going to be good again. Cupcake it with a friendly audience and climate and keep it that way until the roster (and the STAFF) have won enough games to feel like they can beat anybody.

Hawaii is a trap. Until you've proven you can go 5-4 ever in the Pac-12, Hawaii is a trap. Opening the season with all that rust, on the longest road trip of the year, is setting up for failure. Ask every CU coach with a career losing record who has coached an away game on the island. Add to that the 13th game which takes away the bye week AND requires 7 wins for a bowl game and forget about it. You're not getting that W. Now you need to go 7-5 the rest of the way. Congratulations, geniuses.

I totally agree with this. I don't see that any reason to schedule Hawaii ever again. Any recruiting advantage does not offset the trap game and starting the season 0-1. If recruiting is the goal, schedule a cupcake in Texas.

MacIntyre should be thankful for the OOC schedule he has had to date. Quite generous to him and is inflating a bad record.
agree. back in the day we started out with tennessee, michigan on the road, miami, florida st, alabama, georgia,... remember those days? back then, we were wishing for cupcakes on the schedule. Like mentioned in a post above, we have become the cupcake sadly.

I have always been in the schedule a true cupcake week one and get the kinks worked out. Get your back-ups in to give them some play time and confidence "reward them" for their hard work, and it makes them hungry to play which creates competition.
The draw back is getting beat (sac st, mt st, uh, toledo, etc)...or when you get into conference play, your team kinda freaks when they go against equal talent.
CU has not really had the teams to do either of these in our favor for a while now, so?

Last edited:
Hawaii should be a cupcake for CU. Hell, we don't even know if UMass will be a cupcake after week one. Our cupcake is week 4. Other than that, we are even in most minds this week and we ARE the cupcake the rest of the year until we prove differently.

You know, I didn't put much weight behind the scheduling of Hawaii at first, but this morning I heard an interview with Les Miles on my way in to work and he said a couple of things that made me think twice.

First they asked Les about his game getting cancelled last weekend and if that would be a positive or negative for his team going into this week. Paraphrasing but Les said that it was a strong negative due to the fact that you need week one to make mistakes and work on correcting things. That's what week one is supposed to be, a tune up. He is now worried about making those mistakes against a Miss St. team that could end up capitalizing on them.

The other part that stuck out to me is when they asked Miles if he was pushing to get the game played last week right up until the end, his reply, "Sure, but by the time it was safe (weather) to play, it was close to midnight and that's just too late to be out there playing football. The second half would have been past 1am and when you're talking about playing past 12 or 1a players' reaction time just isn't there. You can't play that late."

Still not a valid excuse to lose to Hawaii but I thought there were some interesting tidbits in the interview.

I don't have a problem with scheduling Hawaii as an opener. If we can't beat a team like Hawaii home or away we suck (we do) and the rest of the season is only a question of how many we lose.

The Thursday schedule is actually an advantage. Gives a couple more days to get over the jet lag from returning and work on the kinks.

Where the problem does come in is being stupid enough to sign a contract that allows a night game. It isn't that hard to negotiate a deal that requires the kick-off to occur no later than 6 pm local time or some other reasonable number.

Back