What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scholarship football players are getting their education for free

Are scholorship football players are getting their education for free

• Yes

Votes: 48 51.6%
  • No

Votes: 45 48.4%

• Total voters
If that's your logic, then every walkon or high school player is either getting ripped off or is a moron since they have to "work" and STILL have to pay for their food. If it was such a bad deal for the athletes, why do so many kids still play??

And I understand that they have to qualify, but all they need to do is meet the minimum academic standards in high school to get in. An average student has to compete for admissions with the tens of thousands of other applicants to be admitted - scholarship athletes get to skip this step....idot.

what is the goal of nearly every walk-on athlete? or high school player for that matter?

ummmm...

a scholarship?

right!

good answer.

is there competition involved in that?

ummmm...

yep?

right!

good answer.

maybe you aren't such an idot after all...

i totally respect what you have done in your time at cu, mick. you are one of the good guys. you are not an idot.

at least i don't think you are.

how did you vote?

:cool:

i'm still working on the idot question mahself. i didn't vote. give em a legit pocket money stipend based on academic performance.

i'm still working on the idot question mahself. i didn't vote. give em a legit pocket money stipend based on academic performance.

whoa...

istock_can-of-worms.jpg

what is the goal of nearly every walk-on athlete? or high school player for that matter?

ummmm...

a scholarship?

right!

good answer.

is there competition involved in that?

ummmm...

yep?

right!

good answer.

maybe you aren't such an idot after all...

Oh I see, so the 100 kids that walk on to the Nebraska football team every year are only there because they want that scholarship. I always thought they really enjoyed playing football and being part of the team, but thanks for 'splainin it for me.

doesn't have to be can of worms. hell, we are patting ourselves on the back for a C team average.

everyday students maintain GPA's to keep scholly's and stipends.

the academic standard is not the can of worms part...

the stipend part would drive the ncaa into a feeding frenzy. can you imagine the arms race implications with that?

if you think the sec owns the ncaa today, try that plan...

Oh I see, so the 100 kids that walk on to the Nebraska football team every year are only there because they want that scholarship. I always thought they really enjoyed playing football and being part of the team, but thanks for 'splainin it for me.

when did this argument become about the fuskers?

you really need to try to focus here...

Get serious a "regular job"? So it's unfair that they aren't allowed to roll burritos at Illegal Pete's for minimum wage in their spare time? You can probably afford not to have that "regular job" when you don't even have to pay for food.

Also, many (not all) of these athletes would never get in to CU if they weren't coming in on a football scholarship. All they have to do is "qualify" academically, so there's no competetive admissions for them.

Not every undergraduate is destined to serve burritos at Illegal Pete's. There are some sharp students at CU who get paid internships at places like Ball Aerospace or Storage Tek or Deloitte Consulting or IBM or Wall Street or some law firm. There are some lab rats who work closely with CU's top professors on bleeding edge projects that demand a time commitment that most student athletes can't juggle. These experiences can lead to grad school and above average salaries out of school that will be out of the reach of many student athletes.

These are some of the tradeoffs that factor into the opportunity costs that student athletes face.
By commiting to D1 football, it's going to be more difficult to pursue some career opportunities that non-athletes can accomodate.

the academic standard is not the can of worms part...

the stipend part would drive the ncaa into a feeding frenzy. can you imagine the arms race implications with that?

if you think the sec owns the ncaa today, try that plan...

sure, i thought monkeying around with the NCAA rules was how it went in the hypothetical of this thread. that it would be standardized insofar as that's an impossible thing to guarantee. much like what we have today.

Not every undergraduate is destined to serve burritos at Illegal Pete's. There are some sharp students at CU who get paid internships at places like Ball Aerospace or Storage Tek or Deloitte Consulting or IBM or Wall Street or some law firm. There are some lab rats who work closely with CU's top professors on bleeding edge projects that demand a time commitment that most student athletes can't juggle. These experiences can lead to grad school and above average salaries out of school that will be out of the reach of many student athletes.

These are some of the tradeoffs that factor into the opportunity costs that student athletes face.
By commiting to D1 football, it's going to be more difficult to pursue some career opportunities that non-athletes can accomodate.

excellent!

it all comes down to talent and commitment.

some kids have athletic talent, some kids have academic talent, some kids have both...

some kids have social talent, some kids want to get a degree and couldn't give a **** about the social aspects of the college experience.

some kids want the whole experience.

how they go about paying for it is up to them.

nothing is free.

sure, i thought monkeying around with the NCAA rules was how it went in the hypothetical of this thread. that it would be standardized insofar as that's an impossible thing to guarantee. much like what we have today.

:smile2:

:thumbsup:

excellent!

it all comes down to talent and commitment.

some kids have athletic talent, some kids have academic talent, some kids have both...

some kids have social talent, some kids want to get a degree and couldn't give a **** about the social aspects of the college experience.

some kids want the whole experience.

how they go about paying for it is up to them.

nothing is free.

that's all good economic libertarian logic, but while *nothing is free*....some of it is *paid for*. like tuition and room and board and books.

there's a difference. no one is getting tuition paid for because they like "get the social experience" by being at the Sink every night.

yeah, i know....comments and self-glamorization of drunken Sink scholly exploits to follow....lol.

My daughter worked 32 hours a week while attending CU to pay for living expenses and tuition. On top of that, between her and us, we've paid around 50 grand. How many hours a week do football players "work?" How much in debt are they when they graduate? They also get room, board, and free tutoring.

The lowest paying job in town is to play collage sports and not graduate. Been there, done that! If you like being yelled at play collage sports, or go into the Army. P.S "free my ass":finger:

that's all good economic libertarian logic, but while *nothing is free*....some of it is *paid for*. like tuition and room and board and books.

there's a difference. no one is getting tuition paid for because they like "get the social experience" by being at the Sink every night.

yeah, i know....comments and self-glamorization of drunken Sink scholly exploits to follow....lol.

:lol:

actually...the sink didnt recruit me.

i was heavily recruited by pearls,the james, eddie's mexican cafe, and goldini's though.

none of those offers worked out. but the happy hour meals did save me a ton of cash...

your post supports my point mick. scholarship athletes get tuition, room/board, and books paid for by the university in exchange for their commitment to the athletic program that supports their efforts.

the same is true for academic scholarship students.

those who don't seek that support from the university need to find other means to pay their way; based on their talents and desire for the experience.

that was the route i took. i didn't have the athletic or academic talent but i found a way to get the experience i was looking for.

and thank god for that.

...if there is a god...

:cool:

Free is just an other word for nothing left to lose.

If anyone is gettng a free education, it's the student whose parents foot the bill.

I certainly hope not. They've been out of business for five years.

My daughter worked 32 hours a week while attending CU to pay for living expenses and tuition. On top of that, between her and us, we've paid around 50 grand.
And I hope, well worth it. I worked my way through CU, too. It wasn't easy, and the only good thing I could say was that when I graduated, I had work experience on my resume.

How many hours a week do football players "work?"
Well, someone who actually played football can chime in, but there's practice and weight room, and games and travel, (rehab time or physical therapy for a few), plus I'd think classroom time and effort is counted as "work" since without it, they can't play
... how about this answer: they put in more hours than many other students have to commit to class and studying, because FB players attend class, study AND have weight training, practice, games and travel.

Someone wiser than me can do the math.

How much in debt are they when they graduate?
Probably not $50,000.

They also get room, board, and free tutoring.
Yes, they do.

Meanwhile, their efforts on the field contribute to the sale of tickets that PAYS for the room, board and tutoring, so it's a conundrum.

If we compare the same questions to someone who earns an academic scholarship, they may also graduate with little or no debt, they may also get room, board and tutoring.

What's the difference, other than the academic scholarship student has some skills upon graduation that translate into the real world and potential jobs (and a small percentage of football players will ever go pro or coach after college), and the academic probably has knees and other body parts in the same shape in which they started college.

Football players, presumably, have "connections" that boosters and fans will snap them up because they were so awesome on the field that they are given cushy jobs ... but I haven't heard of this in real life, only in three-beer bar fantasies.

Lots to think about.

I believe there are limits on how much time per week a scholarship athlete can be required/allowed to "work." I believe it is less than 32 hours a week. But I could be wrong.

If you ever quote Janis Joplin again you're going on ignore.

She recorded it, but "Me and Bobby McGee" was written by Kris Kristofferson.

This thread is all over the place anyway, enjoy...
[video=youtube;W8ZkkKfg_Rw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8ZkkKfg_Rw[/video]

I believe there are limits on how much time per week a scholarship athlete can be required/allowed to "work." I believe it is less than 32 hours a week. But I could be wrong.

There is "required" and there is "strongly encouraged to be there, but we can't make you, but we do keep a list" if you get my drift.

Move over Counting Crows. The Sackman has exposed a new pet peeve.

You know you got it if it makes you feel good!

Move over Counting Crows. The Sackman has exposed a new pet peeve.

You know you got it if it makes you feel good!

Nobody is worse than the counting crows, even Janis. But Janis was pretty bad.

Along the same lines as the counting crows, I wonder who the record exec was who listened to her sing and said "wow, this chick has TALENT!!!" :huh:

Fine, if they want to work on computer chips or audit someone, no one is stopping them - go take an unpaid internship or don't play football. These guys aren't forced to play or take the scholarship, but last I checked IBM and Deloitte weren't handing out 85 free rides to "hard working, dedicated" CU interns every year.

These players clearly work hard, but I'm tired of the "poor players, they have it so hard" attitude...you don't like it...quit.

Sure and I have bad knees from my time skiing competitively, I knew the risks, but I loved it and did it anyway.

The Football players and all Student Athletes are given something that not only "pays" for their education but allows them to make a living post football with their degree. Pretty damn good deal if you ask me.

This is true. Most of these guys-- the dream is not to get a free education, but to have a chance at the NFL. have to do this step unless you are rediculously talented. And like Canada.

everyone who voted yes is a complete idot

This is the reason that while I feel 'No', I voted 'Yes'.

Actually, the university is getting ripped off with this deal. These athletes are getting an education that they don't pay for, free room and board, free medical care, the use of phenomenal facilities and top caliber coaching for 5 years all of which enable them to earn millions of dollars in the NFL after they leave. Given what it gets them when they turn pro these players should be paying double what the average CU student does for the privilege of going to CU.

(I know this is a ridiculous argument (which I don't agree with) but since this is a pointless thread...Please don't "prove me wrong".)

So if this is the point, then the kids who did not make the NFL should get some money later from the ones who did, right?

How much did CU earn last year from football? Gross and net.

Divide that up between the number of scholarship players and you can even argue that they are giving up more to the University than what they are getting in return. If they blow out their knee or their back than I would certainly say that they are putting more at risk than the University does as well.

Question-- if the football players make CU more money, then the sports that lose money for CU should be scrapped. Since they cannot contribute to the level of the football guys. Seems logical at this point of the thread.

Well, I don't know Janis much, but last time I flew on United Airlines, Derek Morris told me that they paved paradise and put up a parking lot. Told me to tell you. And that his trade was great since the Avs player sucked azz. Siad you would understand.

(Man, I would think that that would get old, even with me, but for some inexplicable reason IT JUST NEVER DOES!!!!):smile2:

Back