What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scholarship football players are getting their education for free

Are scholorship football players are getting their education for free

• Yes

Votes: 48 51.6%
  • No

Votes: 45 48.4%

• Total voters
Nobody is worse than the counting crows, even Janis. But Janis was pretty bad.

Along the same lines as the counting crows, I wonder who the record exec was who listened to her sing and said "wow, this chick has TALENT!!!" :huh:

Unbe****inglievable. Janis had some seriously awesome pipes. You're obviously not much of rock and roll guy. Got a lot of Britney Spears on your MP3 player, huh?

Unbe****inglievable. Janis had some seriously awesome pipes. You're obviously not much of rock and roll guy. Got a lot of Britney Spears on your MP3 player, huh?

Yeah, she could scream at the top of her lungs in what might pass for some kind of musical melody, but beyond that, her voice reminds me of a female version of Kid Rock.

And no Britney on the iPod. I do have some Vanilla Ice, though. That dude rawks. :thumbsup:

What about the players that don't make the NFL, do you think they are complaining that they don't have student loans? Do you think they wish they had not played so they could have had the opportunity to pay for school and focus more on their education? C'mon...its free in the respect that they don't have to pay for anything and the ones who bitch about what they are getting don't deserve to get **** because they always have their hand out. take advantage of the freebies and work hard...the hard work will then be rewarded by a career in the NFL or a good job that you would not have otherwise been qualified for. FREE

I do have some Vanilla Ice, though. That dude rawks. :thumbsup:

:rofl2:

you voted yes, right?

my point has been made...this thread can end at any time and i would be satisfied.

however...anything beyond this point is icing on the cake...

I wonder what percentage of NCAA scholarship athletes, especially football and basketball (revenue sports) players would have actually attended college if it werent for sports? Half? A quarter? Because, free or not, I see a lot of "athletes" that have no business whatsoever in college. Especially in a major university. How many of their families could have afforded to send them to a major university?

So forget about whethe its free or not. Many of these kids have been truly blessed to be where they are.

:rofl2:

you voted yes, right?

my point has been made...this thread can end at any time and i would be satisfied.

however...anything beyond this point is icing on the cake...

Just a random question, FC, but do you happen to own any Janis Joplin CDs??? :smile2:

So forget about whethe its free or not. Many of these kids have been truly blessed to be where they are.

no argument from me about that...and i would guess that the majority of those student-athletes recognize that fact as well.

Just a random question, FC, but do you happen to own any Janis Joplin CDs??? :smile2:

yep...

i have this one

1205111647_1205099607_janis-joplin-pearl.jpg

next time i give sacky a ride somewhere he will get a healthy dose of it too...

:smile2:

I'm loving the quality of the education the poster that wrote the poll question. :lol:

"Poll Options
Are scholorship football players are getting their education for free"

Yep. Typos galore, bad grammar and ineffective use of cut and paste. All in one 10 word sentence. Impressive. No ?

I could go back and fix it.. ah **** it.

Good grammar is normally avoided in posts here. You can tell from the number of teeth marks in my tongue.

Re: Scholorship football players are getting their education for free

so...what does that have to do with a "free" education?

there are benefits to being a student-athlete on scholarship for sure. but there are costs too. clearly the accountants and bankers on this board can't see past the ****ing bottom line, but i expected more out of the rest of you ****ers...
This is confusing - nothing in this freakin world is "free". Nothing worth any $. WTF do you mean by a "free" education, and if it is in fact free with no strings, where can you get it? The NCAA is a joke, they answer to nobody, and do whatever the hell they want.

Last edited:
I worked in the AD during my time at CU. I had to attend all practices and games. Home and away. I was awarded with a partial scholly. It helped me finance my education. I did not have road trip to away games. I got to go on the team plan. I missed the last Mall Crawl since I was out of town for the game. I think it may have been the Oklahoma game. I may be wrong on that. I had to work before and after all games and practices and on Sunday after the game. I did get access to the training table which was not bad but probably better today. We got meals on all flights and bus rides after games. It was not airline food but a sack lunch that would feed large football players. So it was good for me since I was about 150 lbs at the time. The time demands were difficult but I made it through the business school in four years and I am thankful in how the AD treated me and how they helped me pay for part of my four years. I got to go to the Orange Bowl twice, the Holiday Bowl and one other that I am forgetting.

With that said, I did not have to go through all the physical demands that the players did. I did work in the press box after my first year and without an elevator and carrying heavy items did have some physical demands, but nobody hit me. We did get free beer and drinks on the Monday practice after a home game. We had access to the old boxes on the westside. I guess that was our bonus.

It is a free education if you consider those who pay for their education by working your way through school. It would take more time to pay for an education working then by playing a game. Although most jobs are not as physically demanding.

Last edited:
I worked in the AD during my time at CU. I had to attend all practices and games. Home and away. I was awarded with a partial scholly. It helped me finance my education. I did not have to road trip to away games. I got to go on the team plan. I missed the last Mall Crawl since I was out of town for the game. I think it may have been the Oklahoma game. I may be wrong on that. I had to work before and after all games and practices and on Sunday after the game. I did get access to the training table which was not bad but probably better today. We got meals on all flights and bus rides after games. It was not airline food but a sack lunch that would feed large football players. So it was good for me since I was about 150 lbs at the time. The time demands were difficult but I made it through the business school in four years and I am thankful in how the AD treated me and how they helped me pay for part of my four years. I got to go to the Orange Bowl twice, the Holiday Bowl and one other that I am forgetting.

With that said, I did not have to go through all the physical demands that the players did. I did work in the press box after my first year and without an elevator and carrying heavy items did demand some physical demand, but nobody hit me. We did get free beer and drinks on the Monday practice after a home game. We had access to the old boxes on the westside. I guess that was our bonus.

It is a free education if you consider those who pay for their education by working your way through school. It would take more time to pay for an education working then by playing a game. Although most jobs are not as physically demanding.

so you would say that the portion of your education that was covered by your scholarship was "free"?

I guess no one picked up on my point. A big percentage of these guys would not be getting a major university degree, assuming they finish, if it weren't for football/basketball. I don't give a **** if its free or not or if they have to work hard or not. They are receiveing a huge "value" that they would not have otherwise received if it weren't for sports. CA"****ING"PICE? Their athletic acumen has given them something they would never have gotten if it were not for their athletic acumen!!!!!!! F U C K!

I'm loving the quality of the education the poster that wrote the poll question. :lol:

This particular type of post is always so much more effective when accompanied by proper sentence structure, mostly because it actually makes sense then.

Just thought I'd mention that for the next time you want to try it.... :smile2:

I guess no one picked up on my point. A big percentage of these guys would not be getting a major university degree, assuming they finish, if it weren't for football/basketball. I don't give a **** if its free or not or if they have to work hard or not. They are receiveing a huge "value" that they would not have otherwise received if it weren't for sports. CA"****ING"PICE? Their athletic acumen has given them something they would never have gotten if it were not for their athletic acumen!!!!!!! F U C K!

i got your point and i agree with you...

...stand down junior.

i got your point and i agree with you...

...stand down junior.

**** you, asshole! :lol: I'm just pissed right now. Free shmee. They get to go to a great school that only a small percentage of QUALIFIED kids get to go to.

I worked in the AD during my time at CU. I had to attend all practices and games. Home and away. I was awarded with a partial scholly. It helped me finance my education. I did not have road trip to away games. I got to go on the team plan. I missed the last Mall Crawl since I was out of town for the game. I think it may have been the Oklahoma game. I may be wrong on that. I had to work before and after all games and practices and on Sunday after the game. I did get access to the training table which was not bad but probably better today. We got meals on all flights and bus rides after games. It was not airline food but a sack lunch that would feed large football players. So it was good for me since I was about 150 lbs at the time. The time demands were difficult but I made it through the business school in four years and I am thankful in how the AD treated me and how they helped me pay for part of my four years. I got to go to the Orange Bowl twice, the Holiday Bowl and one other that I am forgetting.

With that said, I did not have to go through all the physical demands that the players did. I did work in the press box after my first year and without an elevator and carrying heavy items did have some physical demands, but nobody hit me. We did get free beer and drinks on the Monday practice after a home game. We had access to the old boxes on the westside. I guess that was our bonus.

Thanks, it's always interesting to hear from someone who had life experience and how you view it now. I think it would have been fun and exciting that you got to work where you did, to travel, to be around the players some. However, I think you deserved to get paid, even if you would have done it for free.

You cannot speak for me. It was an honor to get the benefits that I got. I am sorry that I did not come from a family with a lot of money so this helped me become a CU Grad. But, thanks for mocking me. Good display of class.

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

I think you mis-understood his post. FC was one of the people arguing that people on scholarship are not getting their education for free because they work for those benefits.

When you said you would have done it for free it seems a lot less like work then:smile2:

I don't know what you think a "big percentage" is.

I'm not in favor of assuming that athletes aren't as smart as the average student. I can't say. I do know that when an athlete screws up, there's no hiding it, but when an average student flunks out, he just goes home to face the music.

The athletes I happen to know are very smart. Not saying all of them are - I got that point - but the ones I know are bright and motivated. They would have gone to college without the sport.

I don't know what you think a "big percentage" is.

I'm not in favor of assuming that athletes aren't as smart as the average student. I can't say. I do know that when an athlete screws up, there's no hiding it, but when an average student flunks out, he just goes home to face the music.

The athletes I happen to know are very smart. Not saying all of them are - I got that point - but the ones I know are bright and motivated. They would have gone to college without the sport.
It isn't just "smarts," its financial abilitiy to afford it. My son had a 3.0 in HS and was not accepted to CU, BTW. To his credit, he worked hard and is now in. But I can almost guarantee you, a kid with, say, a 2.7 and a 22 on his/her ACT will not get in. Unless he/she is an athlete. Also, I'm talking D1 as a whole, not just CU. I happen to think CU has pretty high standards even for athletes. But, as I said, a lot of scholly kids at CU could not have afforded to go without a scholly. That is not meant as any disrespect to them.

Last edited:
Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

I think you mis-understood his post. FC was one of the people arguing that people on scholarship are not getting their education for free because they work for those benefits.

When you said you would have done it for free it seems a lot less like work then:smile2:

If I misunderstood his post then I am sorry. I stand by my comment that I would have done it for free. The benefits of working in the AD were great and the experience was great. I am glad that they paid for part of my school. That was nice.

And any of you that wants their kids to go to CU. Look into the AD for help in paying. The Student Managers, Student Trainers and Video Crew get taken care of. You get your CU gear, money and training table (which beats the dorm food any day).

Back