What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scholarship football players are getting their education for free

Are scholorship football players are getting their education for free

• Yes

Votes: 48 51.6%
  • No

Votes: 45 48.4%

• Total voters
How many hours a week do football players "work?" How much in debt are they when they graduate? They also get room, board, and free tutoring.

so? they are not your daughter. her experience is not the measuring stick that needs to be held to each and every experience. the student athletes work their ASSES off. they just get to enjoy the ride, as well. any smart kid at cu enjoys the ride while working their ass off.

The athletes I happen to know are very smart. Not saying all of them are - I got that point - but the ones I know are bright and motivated. They would have gone to college without the sport.

i also feel it is a disservice making a blanket statement that scholarship athletes would not "make it" to college in any form. needs based schollies and pell grants are not unheard of if it is the family finances standing in the way, and there are places to study which do not leave you with 50k in debt.

come listen to the snap, krackle and pop of my knees every morning and talk to me about debt when I graduated. I paid a fair bargian, knew the risks when I signed up but it wasn't free.

come listen to the snap, krackle and pop of my knees every morning and talk to me about debt when I graduated. I paid a fair bargian, knew the risks when I signed up but it wasn't free.
I don't mean to sound like a smart ass, but my knees snap, crackle and pop and I never played college sports. I have a difficult time walking the stairs at work.

Love to hear from a former Buff. I'm assuming from your post that you were a scholarship football player, sorry if I'm mistaken. Question if you were: if you had not been offered a scholarship to play football (by any school), would you have played somewhere anyway if they had invited you to join the team?

This thread is gonna go around and around and around.. :smile2:

it might be time for the :lock: :lol:

Love to hear from a former Buff. I'm assuming from your post that you were a scholarship football player, sorry if I'm mistaken. Question if you were: if you had not been offered a scholarship to play football (by any school), would you have played somewhere anyway if they had invited you to join the team?

I was going to college no matter what, I was accepted on academics to UF, FSU and UCF. I doubt I would have played ball, because I would have needed to work to pay some of the college bills and football takes too much of that time. Also, I more than likely would have gone to a community college for 2 years then to a 4 year to save money, like my brother did.

So playing football did allow me the luxury of going to a 4 year college in a place I'd never even visited until my official visit and study with creative and interesting people from around the world, rather than attend "13th grade" with my old WPHS classmates at Valencia CC.

But there are trade-offs. Believe me when I say your time is not your own when you are beholden to the AD. There are limits and requirements placed on you that other students don't face that go hand in hand with the privileges and opportunities that football players and other athletes enjoy.

A great example is that we were regularly drug tested at CU, so there was no way I could smoke so much dope that I'd ever even try on a pink tux :smile2: even if one did exist in a 54 XTall.

And DBT, Did your knees pop and creak at age 24? I'm not saying it isn't a great deal and a great opportunity, I know it was and I treasure it. But it wasn't free!

Free is the completely wrong term to use, as others have noted. Sure, there's no dollar cost, but that doesn't mean there's no cost. It's an exchange. The debate probably lies on whether or not it's a fair exchange.

If I misunderstood his post then I am sorry. I stand by my comment that I would have done it for free.

apology accepted.

my post in response to yours was subject to interpretation, as are most of my posts...my role here is to confuse people. you will learn that over time...

i also feel it is a disservice making a blanket statement that scholarship athletes would not "make it" to college in any form. needs based schollies and pell grants are not unheard of if it is the family finances standing in the way, and there are places to study which do not leave you with 50k in debt.

if that was the main point that dbt was making then apparently i actually didn't get his point.

his role here is to confuse people.

i am learning that...

the point that i thought he made, and that i do agree with, is that in many cases the schollies offer an opportunity for the student athlete that they would not ordinarily have if they weren't blessed with their talent, and didn't apply it for useful purpose. and i think that most of them realize that and are grateful for that opportunity.

So playing football did allow me the luxury of going to a 4 year college in a place I'd never even visited until my official visit and study with creative and interesting people from around the world, rather than attend "13th grade" with my old WPHS classmates at Valencia CC.

But there are trade-offs. Believe me when I say your time is not your own when you are beholden to the AD. There are limits and requirements placed on you that other students don't face that go hand in hand with the privileges and opportunities that football players and other athletes enjoy.

I'm not saying it isn't a great deal and a great opportunity, I know it was and I treasure it. But it wasn't free!

:congrats::congrats::congrats:

thanks for responding, flabuff. and thanks for representing cu well. i have met you and i know you continue to represent. since you are an educator now, i am sure your college experience was not just about playing the game...for "free"...

Back to Semantics:

getting something for "free" isn't the same as having something "paid for."

I don't think football players do it for free, even if some of them love the game enough they'd play for nothing in return. That's not the point.

The point is they make a commitment and put forth a minimum amount of time and effort, and give up many other college experiences (not talking drugs here, just the regular college activities many of us take for granted, like impromptu roadtrips or going camping on a Wednesday, or concerts, meeting girls, gaining the freshman 20...), in exchange for the opportunity to play and have tuition and other expenses covered.

Each player has to decide for himself whether it's worth it. Some decide every year it's not. But there are many people who believe they would take that scholly and give it their all. Who's to say?

plus, the "no" votes are finally catching up...

it is about time that the non-idots are starting to respond...

I am confused since I don't know which response elicits a bigger response, a 'yes' vote which works you up, or a 'no' which works DBT up. I suppose I should stick to trying to vote 'yes' multiple times since I don't think your heart will explode with frustration, as DBTs might.

What is the poll about again?:smile2:

I am confused since I don't know which response elicits a bigger response, a 'yes' vote which works you up, or a 'no' which works DBT up. I suppose I should stick to trying to vote 'yes' multiple times since I don't think your heart will explode with frustration, as DBTs might.

What is the poll about again?:smile2:

you have already voted in this poll....idot.

you have already voted in this poll....idot.

I have many freinds who will sign up and vote the way I want them too...idot!:smile2: (and my vote went to 'stirring the pot' really-- since you were getting your tail all twisted up over this).

I just played HS ball and my knees crunch and pop-- the kids pay a price for what they get.

Question: do kids with regular schollies have anywhere close to the workload added to them that sports kids do? And do you consider then to be receiving 'free' schooling? Music schollies for example? They have to practice, go to games-- so are they getting a free ride or not? They are contributing also-- and some of them would do it for free. And no lingering physical effects for the rest of their lives.

While I was younger, I wanted to play college ball. Now being older, I see that alot of the players that are good enough to be starters all the way into long NFL careers have greatly shortened lives. Or brain damage, since a RB hitting a LB head on at full speed is like have a car crash. I am not sure the glory and the fame and money are worth it after seeing those reports.

Given the chance to go back in time, I would pursue golf or baseball as a way to make money in the pros--- no collisions and longer careers. But I love football best-- to watch.

I just played HS ball and my knees crunch and pop-- the kids pay a price for what they get.

hmmmm...paying a price. doesn't that mean..."not free"?

Question: do kids with regular schollies have anywhere close to the workload added to them that sports kids do? And do you consider then to be receiving 'free' schooling? Music schollies for example? They have to practice, go to games-- so are they getting a free ride or not? They are contributing also-- and some of them would do it for free. And no lingering physical effects for the rest of their lives.

again...not "free"

Given the chance to go back in time, I would pursue golf or baseball as a way to make money in the pros--- no collisions and longer careers. But I love football best-- to watch.

i would suggest you first go back in time and change your vote in this poll....idot.

:smile2:

Academic scholarships do not involve the amount of time an athletic scholarship commands. The academic scholly may include some community service, or research, etc. but not at all the same amount of time nor the stress on one's body.

They may have to maintain grades to keep the scholly, oh well.

And one could argue, the recipient of an academic scholarship would have to attend class and write papers, take tests whether or not they were on scholarship. Football players have many commitments that are unique to their sport.

Academic scholarships do not involve the amount of time an athletic scholarship commands. The academic scholly may include some community service, or research, etc. but not at all the same amount of time nor the stress on one's body.

They may have to maintain grades to keep the scholly, oh well.

And one could argue, the recipient of an academic scholarship would have to attend class and write papers, take tests whether or not they were on scholarship. Football players have many commitments that are unique to their sport.

but the academicians still have a talent that qualifies them to apply for the scholarship. and they put time into maintaining that talent. time that they could be spending climbing the flatirons, or hanging out on the mall, or mountain biking, or a number of other things that non-scholarship students are "free" to do...

blah blah blah semantics blah blah blah :sucks:

hang in there...only five more pages left...we are on the verge of a breakthrough...i can feel it...

Like the bumpersticker says, "Ass, grass or cash. No one rides for free."

All you 'yes' voting idots are confusing a FREE ride with a FULL ride.

Free ride = daddy pays tuition, room, board, and expenses and doesn't care about what grades you get.

The confusion must come from anyone whose been on the recieving end of this nugget: "Boy, I'm not giving you a free ride. You have to keep your grades up and stay out of trouble if you want me to keep paying your way."

So by now everyone knows how you feel about this issue, but calling everyone who disagrees with you an idot is kind of a d-bag move, especially when the no's are still down.

my role here is to be a d-bag.

you will learn this over time...

besides, most of the people who disagree with me already know they are idots.

this too you will learn over time...

(the margin is closing...)

Last edited:
Like the bumpersticker says, "Ass, grass or cash. No one rides for free."

All you 'yes' voting idots are confusing a FREE ride with a FULL ride.

point taken.

If it was a truly free ride, then we'd have a few more guys on the roster who didn't cut it

So by now everyone knows how you feel about this issue, but calling everyone who disagrees with you an idot is kind of a d-bag move, especially when the no's are still down.

To be fair, FC knows that I only voted 'Yes' because the yes votes were getting his panties bunched up. Which does not make me and idot, but does perhaps qualify me as an asshole or a ****head.:thumbsup:

To be fair, FC knows that I only voted 'Yes' because the yes votes were getting his panties bunched up. Which does not make me and idot, but does perhaps qualify me as an asshole or a ****head.:thumbsup:

It doesn't make you an idot, but it doesn't rule out the possibility either.

Back