What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scoreboards

WhereTF are our pics today?

Ask and thou shalt receive good sir. I didn't post an update yesterday because nothing really significant happened. As of today, there are two cranes parked at the south end and one flatbed semi with a bunch of wrapped crates on it. I have no idea what is in them. As for the scoreboard itself, as shown in the pics, all of the signs have been removed from the side holders. My guess is that those will be removed first before they move on to extricating the video board itself. Depending on what happens, I may post another update later. I'm really curious as to what they have in those crates.

day2-2.jpg

day2-1.jpg

BTW if anyone hasn't been to campus in a few years things have really been built up. Their is a new art building (I think) the C4C. They are completly remodeling regent, and there is the new huge building going up by the East campus. Lots of money is being spent on non-athletics.

Ask and thou shalt receive good sir. I didn't post an update yesterday because nothing really significant happened. As of today, there are two cranes parked at the south end and one flatbed semi with a bunch of wrapped crates on it. I have no idea what is in them. As for the scoreboard itself, as shown in the pics, all of the signs have been removed from the side holders. My guess is that those will be removed first before they move on to extricating the video board itself. Depending on what happens, I may post another update later. I'm really curious as to what they have in those crates.

View attachment 9412

View attachment 9413

I'm sure they would be fine if you went up to the truck and just started opening the crates to get a look inside. Give it a try and let us know.

I'm sure they would be fine if you went up to the truck and just started opening the crates to get a look inside. Give it a try and let us know.
all you have to do is put on an orange vest and a hard hat, you'll look like you know what your doing... oh don't forget the crowbar.

BTW if anyone hasn't been to campus in a few years things have really been built up. Their is a new art building (I think) the C4C. They are completly remodeling regent, and there is the new huge building going up by the East campus. Lots of money is being spent on non-athletics.

I came to CU as a freshman in 2005 and there has been an absolutely massive amount of construction. I watched (and heard) the new law building go up outside my dorm window. They've been building almost constantly since then. Here's a list of everything I can think of that actually involves new construction rather than renovation:

• Wolf Law
  • ATLAS
  • C4C (Center for Community- massive new dining hall and centralized office area to reclaim space in Hallet/Willard)
  • New Art Building
  • New Residence Building at WillVill
  • Koelbel Building (business school addition)
  • Complete gutting of all Kitt dorms, demolition of Kitt commons and subsequent rebuilding (ongoing)
  • Court Sports Practice Facility
  • JILA addition
  • Jennie Caruthers Building (massive new building on East Campus dedicated to biotechnology)
  • Football Practice Bubble (this is a bit of a stretch but it's still new)

They've also done a lot of gutting/renovation. Considering the economic circumstances, it's amazing what's gotten done over the past 7ish years.

Sort of a tangent within a tangent here, but the other day I found an old flyer for grad school in biology from the early 90s (I think). The building I'm working in now wasn't even here then. If you go back 20 years, the change is even more massive. If I have time later, I might scan and post it.

I came to CU as a freshman in 2005 and there has been an absolutely massive amount of construction. I watched (and heard) the new law building go up outside my dorm window. They've been building almost constantly since then. Here's a list of everything I can think of that actually involves new construction rather than renovation:

• Wolf Law
  • ATLAS
  • C4C (Center for Community- massive new dining hall and centralized office area to reclaim space in Hallet/Willard)
  • New Art Building
  • New Residence Building at WillVill
  • Koelbel Building (business school addition)
  • Complete gutting of all Kitt dorms, demolition of Kitt commons and subsequent rebuilding (ongoing)
  • Court Sports Practice Facility
  • JILA addition
  • Jennie Caruthers Building (massive new building on East Campus dedicated to biotechnology)
  • Football Practice Bubble (this is a bit of a stretch but it's still new)

They've also done a lot of gutting/renovation. Considering the economic circumstances, it's amazing what's gotten done over the past 7ish years.

Sort of a tangent within a tangent here, but the other day I found an old flyer for grad school in biology from the early 90s (I think). The building I'm working in now wasn't even here then. If you go back 20 years, the change is even more massive. If I have time later, I might scan and post it.

Exactly and in that same time not much has been done for the AD. I expect to hear some bitching from the academia side when we do start improving but they don't really have a leg to stand on.

Now the classified staff on the other hand. :lol:

Exactly and in that same time not much has been done for the AD. I expect to hear some bitching from the academia side when we do start improving but they don't really have a leg to stand on.

Gonna be hard for anyone to complain about athletic improvements in the midst of the huge academic construction project for the East Campus (about $1.4 billion, last I heard) that's close to fundraising completion.

Also, you guys forgot to mention Anschutz Medical. Although not on campus and technically CU-Denver, it may be the biggest that was recently completed and it's still expanding.

Yep, Colorado is all in on infrastructure and resource investments for academics. Kind of why we were so attractive to the Pac 12.

Gonna be hard for anyone to complain about athletic improvements in the midst of the huge academic construction project for the East Campus (about $1.4 billion, last I heard) that's close to fundraising completion.

Also, you guys forgot to mention Anschutz Medical. Although not on campus and technically CU-Denver, it may be the biggest that was recently completed and it's still expanding.

You mean CU-Butt****ingAurora

I hate that I have to go to that hospital. It is a nice hospital though.

Better there than its old location off Colorado and 9th. Hell getting to that one.

they have something like a 1,000 year lease for a $1 per year for the land, so I can understand why they built it there.

We did redo the inside of Dal Ward. Meeting rooms, locker rooms, and what not... That should probably be seen as bringing it up to par instead of pro active steps though.

Good morning Buff fans, this is goldenbuff with your daily construction report. While I did not try to walk into the fenced off area, I was able to see that the aforementioned crates were labeled with section numbers that all started with 2. Some of them are big and have brackets sticking out of them. Pieces of ribbon board perhaps? As far as the actual work goes, there has been some movement. As you can see in the picture, the actual scoreboard portion has been removed from above the video screen. I think that next week could be pretty interesting depending on how they proceed with taking this thing apart.

day3.jpg

Rep delivered, as promised. Loving the updates. I didn't think the ribbon boards were part of this, so it would be a pleasant surprise if they are!

Repped as well. I have to say I am amazed that the deconstruction is taking as long as it is. I would have thought they would have anchored the top of the scoreboard to the crane and chopped it off like the guy with the chainsaw in Die Hard. Is there a goodwill of scoreboards? Are they keeping this as intact as possible to throw it up on Craigslist?

http://omaha.craigslist.org/spo/2990383520.html - If that thing is going for $500, imagine what we could get for a video board with just a few black sections????

A few additional items not directly related to construction:

• Phone camera is not so great. I'm planning on bringing my actual camera from now on starting next week.
  • I might try a slightly different location next week. The window I've been photographing through is dirty on the outside and probably won't get cleaned again until later this summer.
  • I'm thinking about setting up a Flickr (or something else, I'll have to do some research) to host these photos and make them a bit more accessible. Of course, I wouldn't want to deny all of you fine people the opportunity to rep me for daily updates though...

A few additional items not directly related to construction:

• Phone camera is not so great. I'm planning on bringing my actual camera from now on starting next week.
  • I might try a slightly different location next week. The window I've been photographing through is dirty on the outside and probably won't get cleaned again until later this summer.
  • I'm thinking about setting up a Flickr (or something else, I'll have to do some research) to host these photos and make them a bit more accessible. Of course, I wouldn't want to deny all of you fine people the opportunity to rep me for daily updates though...

Not sure of the accessibility, but time change may be all you need - if you can get there in the afternoon the window won't be in direct light, so that dirt and stuff should disappear. They look good for what they are, so no worries on that account....now when the new one is up quality will be critical and future rep will reflect your quality score!

Repped as well. I have to say I am amazed that the deconstruction is taking as long as it is. I would have thought they would have anchored the top of the scoreboard to the crane and chopped it off like the guy with the chainsaw in Die Hard. Is there a goodwill of scoreboards? Are they keeping this as intact as possible to throw it up on Craigslist?

http://omaha.craigslist.org/spo/2990383520.html - If that thing is going for $500, imagine what we could get for a video board with just a few black sections????

I'd like to start the bidding at $10.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere or not, but it is my understanding that they are, indeed, planning on relocating one of the scoreboards to Prentup for the Soccer games. The other one is tentatively being tossed around as an enhancement to the Franklin Field tailgating lot.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere or not, but it is my understanding that they are, indeed, planning on relocating one of the scoreboards to Prentup for the Soccer games. The other one is tentatively being tossed around as an enhancement to the Franklin Field tailgating lot.

We're so green.

That would be cool, but hopefully there will be something in the way....... (maybe a wall mounting kit is in order?)

On that note, at times over the years Franklin Field had a countdown to game time on the small existing scoreboard, and I believe at times have had the score posted, for the past couple of years they haven't. Any idea why that was abandoned? Sure it is a bit redundant in the age of smart phones, but anything CU does to actually embrace the gameday experience seems like a win to me.

As I was waiting for a gel to run just now, I couldn't resist taking another quick look at their progress. The video board itself is now out and if you look closely at the picture, you might be able to see the crane lifting out some speakers. This will be my final update until Monday but I thought this was a pretty notable milestone. I also took this opportunity to try out location #2. I think this new spot will be A LOT better.

day3-2.jpg

As I was waiting for a gel to run just now, I couldn't resist taking another quick look at their progress. The video board itself is now out and if you look closely at the picture, you might be able to see the crane lifting out some speakers. This will be my final update until Monday but I thought this was a pretty notable milestone. I also took this opportunity to try out location #2. I think this new spot will be A LOT better.

View attachment 9433

Helicopter?

So are you telling me that I'll be able to watch replays without a third of the screen missing? #skeptical

Back