1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scott playing like a shell...

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Da Lama, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Da Lama

Da Lama Well-Known Member

of his former self. My 10 year old soon turned to me half way through the first half and said, "What is wrong with Scott? He plays like he's in a daze."

Any insight into whether he's still having issues from the concussion?

2. wyobuff

wyobuff Well-Known Member

I didnt get the game on tv, but I never heard his name in the 2nd half, was he even in?

3. Da Lama

Da Lama Well-Known Member

He was in. He was a non-factor. There was zero passion/effort in his game today.

4. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

He has been his normal self mostly on defense, its offense that I have noticed a difference. My guess is he is scared of getting clocked again.

5. jcatcher

jcatcher Club Member Club Member

He's sort of getting exposed without Dre' to clean up on the glass. He's never really been strong around the rim - it's just more noticeable now. I don't think he's too worried about his head as OSU led with their elbows all day, especially the dude with the orange mohawk.

6. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Freshmen hit a wall oftentimes at this point (obviously not all). The concussion didn't help matters.

7. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

Why doesn't he jump for rebounds or on defense and its not just tunks johnson, none of the bigs other than dre, go up for boards or jump on defense

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  8. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

I don't think Scott really can jump. I've seen xj jump.

9. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Scott actually played some of the better defense today. He's not right, but he was not the problem today. I have to assume that they wouldn't have medically cleared him if it was physical, so it's probably a matter of confidence and tentativeness after getting knocked out recently. Best thing that could happen to him would be for him to take a shot, be able to shake it off, and get pissed off from it.

10. rosstr

rosstr Well-Known Member

Defenses have taken notice of his preference for the left baby hook from the right block position. That's been taken away and Scott doesn't have much else right now. Simple as that.

11. rolandftw

rolandftw Club Member Club Member

He has no confidence in his shot right now. I also see him playing too close to the perimeter, which I don't really like. Needs to get his confidence back

12. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

As noted elsewhere by Scott himself, he's lost weight and others note he seems to have hit the freshman "wall", as well as still being affected by the concussion. Don't forget he was knocked cold on that, not just rendered woozy!

My son, who was a college athlete, suffered a hard concussion playing and told me today, its the clarity of your vision that seems to come back last and is so frustrating. Plus, you're always watching from the corners of your fuzzy eyes for that next high elbow, so its distracting from that perspective, too.

13. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I hate to say it, but he looked like a liability out there yesterday.

14. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Concussion may still have lingering effects. Lots of other factors could play into his play as well. I can't think of a game so far where I felt like he was a dominating presence. That will change next year.

15. alec10burks

alec10burks Member

I have to disagree with this slightly. He has had quite a few games this season where he has had a significant impact on the game and where he has dominated his competition.
    A few examples:
    Air Force: 20 pts 7 reb 6-12 FG 8-10 FT
    @Kansas: 19 pts 4 reb 9-15 FG
    Hartford: 21 pts 10 reb 9-12 FG 3-5 FT
    @Arizona: 15 pts 5 reb 6-8 FG 3-4 FT
    UCLA: 18 pts 9 reb 6-11 FG 6-6 FT
    @OSU: 17 pts 4 reb 7-10 FG 3-4 FT

Next year he will be stronger and most likely a lot better, which should scare the rest of the Pac-12 because he has had a very impressive freshman year so far. He has been struggling lately but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as he just sustained a concussion and he's a freshman.

16. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I think azbuff was referring to since the concussion.

17. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

I agree he has had some good numbers, although I'd hesitate to say he "dominated" at Kansas. I'm referring to Scott taking over a game physically. That is what I want to see from him.

18. alec10burks

alec10burks Member

That's fair. I'm hoping he can put on some weight over the summer because if he becomes stronger and grows a bit more, it's over.

It's going to be damn near impossible to stop him next year.

19. jwhite17

jwhite17 Member

I think Scott has done a great job this year, although he has struggled these last few weeks, he has been great for us during the first two months of the season.

Once he gains weight and develops a consistent 15 footer, he will be impossible to stop with his post moves.

alec10burks likes this.