1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seahawk Style Pass Coverage, coming to a city near you

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by buffaholic, Jan 12, 2014.

1. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

NY Times article about the Seattle Muggers.

Been bitching for years that this is Bo Pelini's #1 defensive scheme, hold and mug the WR.
    The trend towards longer DBs is coming back to Boulder I hope with this recruiting class. The penalties are even less damaging in CFB compared to the NFL.

Should referree's call it more and set a stricter tone early? I say yes, I like offensive games.

Certainly, the fact that less laundry is thrown in the playoffs by a large amount is bothersome as well. Why do we change the rules late in the season or late in the game? Why?

2. nolabuff

nolabuff Club Member Club Member

This seems to be getting a lot more attention recently. It's fairly frustrating as a Saints fan to see it. Certainly there are much greater reasons why we lost and I'm sure every NFL teams does it to an extent.

Earl Thomas seems to be the leader of the obvious PIs that are ignored. Funny because he was the victim of a bs call earlier this year. Richard Sherman, good player, guilty as well though. The refs need to come out and call these PIs early next year to ruin the incentive. As the article suggests, it's a smart strategy to mug the receivers right now.

3. BuffsNYC

BuffsNYC Uptown Club Member

Refs swallowed their whistles in both games yesterday. As long as the game's called evenly, I don't care.

4. goalline

goalline Club Member Club Member

The holding is a big part of how NE beat Denver earlier this season. (Along with erratic winds). The defensive strategy against Manning is to disrupt the timing as much as possible. Other games were called more strictly, and Denver had their way.

5. duaneallman8

duaneallman8 Member

I agree with the bolded. Though I thought New England/Indy was not called evenly at all.

6. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Anything to give defenses a chance. I hate "first one to 50 points wins" football.

7. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

I'll take a game that under-called rather than over-called any day

8. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

I want one that's called evenly, good for both sides or bad for both sides.

As for late-game abandonment of the rules, many refs don't want to be accused of "deciding the game", which is stupid, because that PI call they made in the 1st Q which led to a TD, is just as critical in the 4th Q if the game is close, as a late 4th Q PI!!

Yet, when I ref-ed I had fellow refs tell me they wouldn't call a late-in-the-game penalty even if there was a bloody blow struck----just plain stoopid human nature.

9. TDbuff

TDbuff Club Member Club Member

Auburn got away with a lot of that on Monday, especially in the first half.