What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Season ticket renewals are already down 4%

In the end, it doesn't really matter what the number is so long as the expectation is put out there and can be quantified.

Exactly. It needs to be real and quantifiable. And it needs to be enforced.

Do that and people will come back. I know I would.

Conversely, the AD could have ****canned Hawkins in December, hired a new coach to get excited about immediately thereafter - interest in the program would be on the rise, season ticket sales would probably increase, donations likely increase, etc.

This^^^^ is absolutely correct!

I, for one, most certainly would've been very excited about this season, kept my tickets, and given a donation or two had they ****canned Hawkins last season. I love Colorado Football and I bleed black 'n gold - I do not care what anyone else believes. But, this year I have not donated and I refuse to spend a dime on NCAA licensed gear, tickets, other CU sports, Alumni events, etc. Even the CU foundation did not get my measly annual contribution this year. Yeah, I'm pissed alright... Still very pissed. I will give the love and money again as soon as a new coach is named. Yes, it means THAT much to me.

I love these guys blame the fans. How about holding your coach responsible? Fans want a winning season and a bowl game, is that too much to ask in a time when everyone goes to a bowl game these days? Tell the head coach to STFU and win and while we're at it, you made the hire, take yourself to task.

Let's Do A Little Math

I am going to assume that this renewal thing will settle out at a negative 10% for simplicity. I am going to give each ticket a value of $700 to the AD( $580+Parking+Concessions+Novelties+Anything Else.) -I know I spend a hell of a lot more than $120 over the course of the season. 2200 is 10% of 22,000. 2200@$700=$1,540,000 or roughly $440,000 more per year than it would have cost to man up and fire Hawk.
I also think hiring a new coach last December could have brought in a gain of 5% in the season ticket base or $770,000, remember this state keeps getting bigger and our stadium stays the same size.

Now let's consider the lost revenue from the sky boxes and club seats-does -half a mil sound unreasonable???

So 440K lost in non renewals+500K in lost luxury seating+ a potential gain of 770K ignored. All in the name of keeping a proven loser at the helm=A potential 1.7 million mistake in 2010. Benson, DiStephano, Bohn, and anybody else involved in this fiasco need to be ****canned along with Hawk next fall.

Before you shoot holes in my numbers- what if I am only half right??? Is an 850K mistake acceptable??
These bozos made a tragic decision last fall and are just starting to understand the consequences. A business that ignores it's customers is doomed to failure.

I am going to assume that this renewal thing will settle out at a negative 10% for simplicity. I am going to give each ticket a value of $700 to the AD( $580+Parking+Concessions+Novelties+Anything Else.) -I know I spend a hell of a lot more than $120 over the course of the season. 2200 is 10% of 22,000. 2200@$700=$1,540,000 or roughly $440,000 more per year than it would have cost to man up and fire Hawk.
I also think hiring a new coach last December could have brought in a gain of 5% in the season ticket base or $770,000, remember this state keeps getting bigger and our stadium stays the same size.

Now let's consider the lost revenue from the sky boxes and club seats-does -half a mil sound unreasonable???

So 440K lost in non renewals+500K in lost luxury seating+ a potential gain of 770K ignored. All in the name of keeping a proven loser at the helm=A potential 1.7 million mistake in 2010. Benson, DiStephano, Bohn, and anybody else involved in this fiasco need to be ****canned along with Hawk next fall.

Before you shoot holes in my numbers- what if I am only half right??? Is an 850K mistake acceptable??
These bozos made a tragic decision last fall and are just starting to understand the consequences. A business that ignores it's customers is doomed to failure.
It is sad. But, I fear the admins. just believe revenue is a static thing and bears no realtion to anything else. It is a pity they have to learn that very fundamental economic error the hard way....

I don't know where things will shake out, but I agree 100%. This was a short-sighted move that will cost them far more in the long run than it would have to pull the plug in December.

Exactly. It needs to be real and quantifiable. And it needs to be enforced.

Do that and people will come back. I know I would.

I not only need a number, but I need one other requirement to make me become more positive aobut the leaders at CU: You beat CSU or you pack your bags immediately.

There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for not having the team prepared to play that first game.

My number is 8 as has been stated by others. It represents a marked improvement in performance of the coaching and requires proof of beinag ble to win at least one game on the road.

NOTE: I did renew this season but purely because I have a kick ass tailgate spot that I would lose...and I plan on using it once these morons have finished leaving their blemish on our program's proud history.

Last edited:

Don't forgot to add back the revenue gained on those 2200 seats X 6 games = 13,200 tickets that will be sold in the Four-for-$40 specials! that is $132,000 back in their favor.

(obviously read the sarcasm)

Another TIMper tantrum.

I just don't see the need to punish Mark Wetmore and all the runners, who are doing a great job.
I also don't see the need to punish 400 student athletes.

There are more options than the nuclear option.

While I agree about the timper tantrum, I think you are looking at it the wrong way. WE aren't punishing Mark Wetmore and the other student athletes. The AD and administration is. The message on the wall to the powers that be couldn't have been any clearer than if they were etched on Mike Bohn's forehead. Retain Hawkins and you are going to lose an enormous amount of revenue next year. Do the right thing and fire him, and the fans are on board 100%. Warning not heeded. They brought this on themselves and the whole athletic department.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when the decision was made to bring Hawk back another year. I mean we're talking about the president and chancellor of a major university and research institution - they're smart guys and I'm sure they have a basic knowledge of math, so how did they justify this???

Everyone is mad and we call these guys morons, but I don't believe for a second that they are all completely flabergasted that the money is coming in so slow...so what was the reason??

We'll probably never know, and count me in the camp that believes Bohn was ready to pull the plug and got overuled. There must have been a compelling reason (at least in their minds).

Bohn knew he was in serious trouble when he had to offer ticket deals on family weekend last season. They ran the scenarios. They knew what they might lose. Hawk was not going to be our coach this year. He got a reprieve. From what I'm hearing, he won't get another one (there isn't an election in odd numbered years). He'll either win pretty big this year, which I've heard means 8-4 or better, or we'll have a new football coach.

Only 4%?? I would have expected a much larger drop. I, for one, will not be buying again until... well, you know. :nod:
I agree with you, considering the product that they put on the field, I'm surprised they are only down 4%. Instead of bitching and crying Bohn and Talkins should kiss the ass of anyone renewing their tickets. It does show how loyal Buff fans are because they aren't getting anything close to what they are paying for - just another example of the arrogance of Bohn and Talkins. Like CU fans owe them something.

I was on the fence when the poll came out to renew or not renew. Well, I renewed a few weeks ago. Old habits die hard after having season tix for 30 years. And when I see Bohn at the spring game saturday doing his best PR work, I fully intend to personally give him my two cents worth! Especially since he never returned any of my e-mails. Anyway, I'll let everyone know what he says. And I'm fairly certain he knows whats going to be said to him from anyone who attends the spring game.

I not only need a number, but I need one other requirement to make me become more positive aobut the leaders at CU: You beat CSU or you pack your bags immediately.

There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for not having the team prepared to play that first game.

My number is 8 as has been stated by others. It represents a marked improvement in performance of the coaching and requires proof of beinag ble to win at least one game on the road.

NOTE: I did renew this season but purely because I have a kick ass tailgate spot that I would lose...and I plan on using it once these morons have finished leaving their blemish on our program's proud history.
What games do you see these eight wins?

I mean we're talking about the president and chancellor of a major university and research institution - they're smart guys and I'm sure they have a basic knowledge of math, so how did they justify this???

those skills do not always equate to common sense. reminds me of the doctor that is a co-owner of the cabin that my parents have. they guy is a very successful anesthesiologist making boat loads of money. naturally very smart. does not have the common sense that God gave the common dog.

the cabin is on the colorado river as it comes out of granby dam. there are a few beaver ponds along the river. the biggest one has a small boat that one can take out into the beaver pond. this Dr did so one day. somehow, he had no understanding of a beaver pond on a river still having a current that flows down river. dude takes the boat out into the pond and starts fishing. never puts down the anchor. well, guess what happened? yep. let the damn thing drift into the beaver dam with one of the sticks puncturing the boat and sinking it. we know about it because he wrote about it in the cabins journal. classic.

what should be a simple exercise for any reasonably capable person was beyond this doctors understanding. seems to me that the CU higher ups have a lot in common with this doctor. a complete lack of any common sense. i have to assume that none of these guys ever majored in marketing. :rolling_eyes:

What games do you see these eight wins?

That's the point. I don't see 8 games but that is what it would take for me to have any faith at all in this coaching crew, and for me to support them being retained any further.

If you are waiting for a definitive statement from Mike Bohn, it isn't coming. I truly believe that Mike Bohn understands what is going on, I believe that he was ready to fire Hawkins last year. Remember Hawkings cancelling all the recuiting visits for the kNU game. Remember Hawkins bringing his assistants in off the road early in that week. It wasn't about some grand plan to beat Nebraska, it about the last game for the staff.

Then Benson came riding in like Dan Hawkins personal white knight. Benson decided that he didn't want to try to explain to the legislature why in a year that the state was going to be slashing and burning everything in the budget CU was going to pay its second consecutive coach over three million dollars not to coach.

We all know that the money was going to come from donors, not from university sources. We all know that the football program not only pays for itself but also for the rest of the athletic program at CU. We know that but Benson did not want to spend the next year or two trying to explain that to a bunch of politicians who didn't want to hear it and who would have responded with statements along the lines of if the donors can pay for a football coach not to coach they can pay for professors to teach. This is especially difficult in that this is an election year, an election year in which a lot of incumbents are worried for their seats and the balance in the statehouse is clearly at issue.

Mike Bohn learned his lesson, he may be the athletic director but his bosses boss doesn't have any problem pulling the rug out from under him when it suites his purpose. Bohn justifiably feels like he is not in charge and therefor isn't going to act like he is. What he knows is that after November the election will be over and there will be a window in which action can be taken with less political baggage attached. He also knows that the buyout goes from over three million to slightly under two million a big difference in perception, especially if the team has another bad year.

The most important thing Bohn knows is that Benson is a guy who never aspired to the job he has to start with. At his age he is likely to move on to "other challenges" sooner than later, especially considering that the average tenure of a university president is well under five years and Benson has already retired once from his old job.

As fans we are stuck in the middle of a drawn out power play. Benson sacrificing the football program for his agenda, Bohn waiting until things change and he can regain some real control of the athletic department. In the mean time we are stuck with a coach who has proven he can't win at this level and won't make the changes neccessary to change his results. We are stuck with declining recruiting and a rapidly falling profile among fans, recruits, the media, etc. Most importantly we are stuck without hope for the immediate future and hope is what being a fan is all about.

If you are waiting for a definitive statement from Mike Bohn, it isn't coming. I truly believe that Mike Bohn understands what is going on, I believe that he was ready to fire Hawkins last year. Remember Hawkings cancelling all the recuiting visits for the kNU game. Remember Hawkins bringing his assistants in off the road early in that week. It wasn't about some grand plan to beat Nebraska, it about the last game for the staff.

Then Benson came riding in like Dan Hawkins personal white knight. Benson decided that he didn't want to try to explain to the legislature why in a year that the state was going to be slashing and burning everything in the budget CU was going to pay its second consecutive coach over three million dollars not to coach.

We all know that the money was going to come from donors, not from university sources. We all know that the football program not only pays for itself but also for the rest of the athletic program at CU. We know that but Benson did not want to spend the next year or two trying to explain that to a bunch of politicians who didn't want to hear it and who would have responded with statements along the lines of if the donors can pay for a football coach not to coach they can pay for professors to teach. This is especially difficult in that this is an election year, an election year in which a lot of incumbents are worried for their seats and the balance in the statehouse is clearly at issue.

Mike Bohn learned his lesson, he may be the athletic director but his bosses boss doesn't have any problem pulling the rug out from under him when it suites his purpose. Bohn justifiably feels like he is not in charge and therefor isn't going to act like he is. What he knows is that after November the election will be over and there will be a window in which action can be taken with less political baggage attached. He also knows that the buyout goes from over three million to slightly under two million a big difference in perception, especially if the team has another bad year.

The most important thing Bohn knows is that Benson is a guy who never aspired to the job he has to start with. At his age he is likely to move on to "other challenges" sooner than later, especially considering that the average tenure of a university president is well under five years and Benson has already retired once from his old job.

As fans we are stuck in the middle of a drawn out power play. Benson sacrificing the football program for his agenda, Bohn waiting until things change and he can regain some real control of the athletic department. In the mean time we are stuck with a coach who has proven he can't win at this level and won't make the changes neccessary to change his results. We are stuck with declining recruiting and a rapidly falling profile among fans, recruits, the media, etc. Most importantly we are stuck without hope for the immediate future and hope is what being a fan is all about.

OUTSTANDING POST! rep

If you are waiting for a definitive statement from Mike Bohn, it isn't coming.

I'm not waiting for it. I don't expect it at all. I'm simply saying that if they want to salvage their season ticket base, he'll set the expectations and put them out for everybody to see. No secrets. No hiding it. Everybody knows what has to happen for Hawk to retain his job. Do that, and the season tickets will sell themselves, if for no other reason than to see what transpires.

Sacky and Buffarino,

I agree completely with both of you, my point is that I don't blame Bohn for this disaster, it is coming from above him. Bohn is in a can't win situation right now that will only change when there is a change above him.

Sacky and Buffarino,

I agree completely with both of you, my point is that I don't blame Bohn for this disaster, it is coming from above him. Bohn is in a can't win situation right now that will only change when there is a change above him.

I know, and I almost put that in my post. I agree Bohn is in a bad situation. So does he stay, knowing that he will not be able to run his department as he likes, or does he leave? Those are his choices.

I'm just sick of the whole thing. I'm sick of Danny Boy, I'm sick of Bohn, I'm sick of Plati, and I'm sick of Benson and DiStephano. I wouldn't mind helping them all leave at this point.

I know, and I almost put that in my post. I agree Bohn is in a bad situation. So does he stay, knowing that he will not be able to run his department as he likes, or does he leave? Those are his choices.

I'm just sick of the whole thing. I'm sick of Danny Boy, I'm sick of Bohn, I'm sick of Plati, and I'm sick of Benson and DiStephano. I wouldn't mind helping them all leave at this point.

Hawk says that if you just call Mike Bohn and tell them you want to help, they'll listen. Not sure if that meant help them all leave, but you never know!

I'll say it again - If Bohn comes out and says that Hawk will be fired if he doesn't win 9 games in 2010, he'd get all that season ticket revenue back and then some. He can't do anything about the television revenue, but he can salvage the season ticket situation. A big reason people aren't buying the tickets is because there is a perception that the CU administration is not committed to winning. Show that commitment, and the fans will come pouring back. This isn't brain surgery, here.

I have 0 faith that Bohn would actually honor such a commitment.

I purposely chose nine instead of 8 based on the still unsubstantiated rumor that UGA may be backing out of the game in Boulder this year. If they have to be replaced by Northern Colorado, Weber State, Wyoming, NMSU, etc, then the chances of an 8 win season are greatly enhanced. Hawk has to prove something. He can't just skate through a depleted schedule.

I think Hawk is just as likely to beat UGA as he would be to beat Norther Colorado, Weber State, or any other schools of that caliber. Just look at his record. The last time I remember a sure fire Buffs win was probably Fresno State in 01 ;)

I think Hawk is just as likely to beat UGA as he would be to beat Norther Colorado, Weber State, or any other schools of that caliber. Just look at his record. The last time I remember a sure fire Buffs win was probably Fresno State in 01 ;)

Sadly true.

My personal favorite quote from last year was one of our players making a comment after one of our more embarrassing losses to the effect that "we were overlooking them." What business does a team coming off of three consecutive losing seasons -- including several VERY embarrassing losses - have overlooking anyone?

Last edited:
Back