What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Season ticket renewals are already down 4%

Ha, you guys crack me up with your minimum win requirement to keep Hawkins another year. 8 or 9, there is now way he is coming close to that. We all know what is going to happen to the guy eventually and that is just another reason they should have fired him long ago.

Fact is, he SHOULD have been fired at halftime of that Toledo game. He lost the team then and that was the end of any chance he had at being a success here. Short term, it costs a lot to fire him but as we are seeing now, in the long run, it will be waaaay cheaper to fire him, eat his salary, and hire a new guy. Once the leadership figures this out and it becomes a fact, then he will be shown the door.

I have to say I wouldn't be the least bit bothered if a bunch of nubs bought tickets from CU for a UNL game at Folsom this season. In fact, I think the AD needs to start a marketing campaign in ****braska aimed directly at those buyers... :thumbsup:

The huskers are always bragging about how well they travel. What an unprecedented opportunity to prove it. Betcha there's no way the huskers can fill Folsom with red the day after Thanksgiving!

I agree with Mt. Buff's assessment that our Athletic Director's authortity in his own department was undermined for political ends. And certainly a University is larger than it's football team.

And to Skiddy's point, I recognize the potential impact to all of our student athletes when our sole revenue-generating sport no longer generates said revenue.

Also, I've always said that I value the positive experience of the student athlete first, the ties the athletic department forges with alumni second, and winning third (though winning certainly facilitates the first two considerations). AND, I'm one of the minority Allbuffers around who doesn't actually hate Coach Hawkins (though I've lost a lot of confidence in his ability to win football games, I'd love for him to start).

And I wish I could root for sold out games, and a waiting line for tickets. It's the fan I want to be.

However, I find myself in the TimBuff category of rooting for even higher rates of non-renewals. I would find an epic ticket renewal disaster somehow satisfying.

So. Given that I believe that this situation isn't really Mike Bohn's fault, and that I support student athletes and that I don't hate Coach Hawkins, why am I rooting for ticket sales to bottom?

I don't know. It's the million dollar question, but I think it relates somehow to the messaging from department itself that is making me behave so irrationally.

I believe that the department has set up an "us against them philosophy". You can't produce a bad product and not be at least a little sympathetic to the customers. You've got to let them vent. Let them wear ****ing blue, for Christ's sake, and don't utter a peep. Don't hold the fans accountable for a failing football program by demanding they renew tickets! Quit blaming the fans at every opportunity. Take responsibility and quit pointing your fingers at the fans.

If I generally supportive guy like me is rooting against the department, the message has gone really, really wrong. I want to support the department, but instead, I find it more satisfying to cut off my nose to spite my face.

Wally, other than the part about still supporting Hawk, that's pretty much where I am, too. That's why I lumped Plati and Bohn in with Hawkins and Benson/DiStephano. I'm tired of being told that I am part of the problem. I'm tired of being singled out (whether we are 'internet scum' or for the powder blue - and I didn't even wear blue!). The whole thing feels very much like and Us vs. Them kind of thing and the fans are not considered part of 'Us'.

Wally, other than the part about still supporting Hawk, that's pretty much where I am, too. That's why I lumped Plati and Bohn in with Hawkins and Benson/DiStephano. I'm tired of being told that I am part of the problem. I'm tired of being singled out (whether we are 'internet scum' or for the powder blue - and I didn't even wear blue!). The whole thing feels very much like and Us vs. Them kind of thing and the fans are not considered part of 'Us'.

The bunker mentality is definitely the underlying issue here.

I've pretty much chosen my stadium attire for next season.
It's pretty hard to fault somebody for being anti-Colorado for 1) showing up and cheering for CU, and 2) wearing a Colorado flag t-shirt. A CU hat will top off the outfit.

160922844v3_225x225_Front.jpg

I've pretty much chosen my stadium attire for next season.
It's pretty hard to fault somebody for being anti-Colorado for 1) showing up and cheering for CU, and 2) wearing a Colorado flag t-shirt. A CU hat will top off the outfit.

160922844v3_225x225_Front.jpg

I like that but maybe you should make the C on the state flag italicized to blend in a bit better. Stick some maxi pads on the shoulders and you are ready to go.

Ha, you guys crack me up with your minimum win requirement to keep Hawkins another year. 8 or 9, there is now way he is coming close to that.

You managed to completely miss the entire point of what we're saying. But you go on with all that anger of yours.

When GB was still HC season tix renewals started to decline his last few years. Many people canceled because of the scandal, I did not renew at the time because I didn't like the poor product that he was fielding, and withholding $ was the only voice I had and I told CU that I would not renew until GB was gone.

Once they got ride of GB I purchased season tix and was very upbeat for Hawkins to turn things around. Hawkins has turned things so bad, I wish GB was back. I have again told CU that I will not purchase season tix until Hawkins is gone.

Had they fired Hawkins at the end of last season, I expect that season tix renewals would be running at the 60-70% range right now, even in a down economy.

Bohn gambled that the fans would forget during the offseason, and he was wrong. Most years I can't wait until football season, this year right now I could care less. I'll still attend games, but there is no way I'm paying a season tix premium when with the exception of the UGA game, you will be able to find tix on the street for 50% of face value.

I get so sick of the posts that can't get past the "Hawk should have been fired" angle. Unless someone has invented a time machine, what's the point?

I still think Hawk should have been fired....

Yeah, agreed. I'm graduating so I will no longer be able to get season tickets for approx. $100. Now if they had fired Hawk, I would spend the extra money to get myself some tickets, but they didn't so I won't. He really should have been fired. They should have fired him.

I'm betting that CU will again be perennial Top 25 within 2 years of the next head coach... hopefully even better:nod:

I'm a big pussy. I just renewed today. I'm the battered wife that keeps going back.

I'm going to renew as well, but wait a few weeks to do it. Maybe we can star in a show on the lifetime channel.

Have they released renewal numbers yet? Just curious how much of a drop off they've had.

Have they released renewal numbers yet? Just curious how much of a drop off they've had.
I doubt they ever give that info up. It will be the unmentionable topic. Look for vague MB utterances like, "our fan support remains strong" or "season ticket sales are strong". I'll bet you never hear a hard number mentioned. Remember, they are doing things the right way. That's why people are flocking to buy season tickets

I doubt they ever give that info up. It will be the unmentionable topic. Look for vague MB utterances like, "our fan support remains strong" or "season ticket sales are strong". I'll bet you never hear a hard number mentioned. Remember, they are doing things the right way. That's why people are flocking to buy season tickets

or possibly a tip jar in the ticket office

Pretty sure there was some mention from one of the Tour Stop articles that put the decline of season ticket renewals at 15-20%.

My old seats were taken and i couldn't move up. This surprised me.

I hope you weren't in section 118. I renewed and moved over from 119. I am a sucker, but as the eternal optomist this is just an investment into a better CU team in years to come.

Props to all of you renewing. I wouldn't turn down free season tickets if they were given to me, but I told Mike Bohn twice I wasn't renewing if Hawk was retained and I am sticking to my guns. It is a miniscule amount, but I want to let the AD know I'm serious about my dissatisfaction with the program and this is the best way I can. Hire a new guy or have a winning season next year and I will be back in 2011.

Last edited:
Mr. Bohn is taking a beating in the comments section below the article. I hope he understands the prevailing sentiment is about the coach and not the players.

As a season ticket holder for 26 years, its easy for me to say that the last 5 years have been the worst. And when I got the letter to renew again, I thought long and hard about it and decided to renew for the same reason this year as I did the prior years. I figured I shouldn't give up on the team, believing that changes will eventullay come in the coaching staff and AD. This may sound like I'm an eternal optimist, but I do ignore all the other letters, e-mails, and phone calls for $$$.

IMO, for the AD to release double digit final figures as to how far season ticket sales dropped, would be akin to admitting they were wrong about all of their decisions to retain Talkins and staff. If by chance they do release actual figures that look bad, my guess is they will cop out and blame it on the economy or a combination of things to make it look like were supposed to feel sorry for them.

As a season ticket holder for 26 years, its easy for me to say that the last 5 years have been the worst. And when I got the letter to renew again, I thought long and hard about it and decided to renew for the same reason this year as I did the prior years. I figured I shouldn't give up on the team, believing that changes will eventullay come in the coaching staff and AD. This may sound like I'm an eternal optimist, but I do ignore all the other letters, e-mails, and phone calls for $$$.

IMO, for the AD to release double digit final figures as to how far season ticket sales dropped, would be akin to admitting they were wrong about all of their decisions to retain Talkins and staff. If by chance they do release actual figures that look bad, my guess is they will cop out and blame it on the economy or a combination of things to make it look like were supposed to feel sorry for them.

Exactly, they'll blame the economy plus they'll probably dig up some stat about how average ticket sales are down all over the country. And of course it would be a selective comparison.

Dave Plati is going to call a press conference to announce that they've only lost 200 season ticket holders.

Back