1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SEC allows ND, BYU and Army to count as P5 for scheduling purposes.

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by hokiehead, Mar 23, 2015.

1. hokiehead

hokiehead Gobbler on the Mountain Club Member

link

Notre Dame isn't a suprise, they're 5/8 into a P5 conference and arguably more important historically than most of the P5 schools in football.

BYU represents a change in direction. Last year, the SEC and ACC said they wouldn't count the Cougars, but that has now changed.

Army is a bit of head-scratcher. to me, this shows how important the military academies are even if they don't field playoff contending football teams. their 'alumni base', is huge. Plus, the road trip is easy for SEC and ACC schools.

2. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Army is going to make a lot of money off this.

Having seen how certain SEC schools have liked to schedule in the past there will also be a big demand for the traditional bottom feeders of the P5 conferences. Kansas, ISU, Indiana, Washington State, and unfortunately even us right now could see a lot of money thrown out there as SEC schools try to buy easy wins.

3. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

Why not navy and Air Force the

4. TSchekler

TSchekler Darth's Hero Club Member

Air Force is in the MWC. Not sure why Navy wouldn't be considered in this situation, as they are "Independent" as well.

5. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Navy was indp. Navy is joining the AAC.

TSchekler likes this.
  6. onealcd

Yeah but if you are going to consider one service academy then why not all of them? I don't really care what conference Air Force is in.

7. TSchekler

Because this is about which programs are being recognized by the SEC as "P5 opponents" conference affiliation is the only thing that does matter

8. TSchekler

Thanks. I didn't know that.

9. onealcd

I get that but service academy's are service academys and they should always be considered the same no matter what conference they are in.

10. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

I agree.

11. TSchekler

It's not like Army is recognized as a P5 program by the NCAA the same way ND/BYU are. They aren't getting some preferential treatment over AF or Navy or something, so I'm just confused as to why this is even an issue.

12. dply

You're either P5 or you're not. Army is now P5 and the other service academies are not. That is unequal footing and gives Army an advantage over the others. BYU doesn't make much sense either but they have a big lobbing group behind them.

13. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

You all assume that it has to make sense.

Over the past couple decades Army has been the least competitive of the service academies so it's hard to argue on a basis of upgrading schedule difficulty for them without the other academies.

Also they are including ND although ND has entered into an affiliation with the ACC for football as well making them technically a part of the conference even though they won't play a full conference schedule.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...nces-future-football-matchups-with-notre-dame

14. TSchekler

This is an SEC-recognized label as P5, is it not? Basically, the SEC wanted a "cupcake" that they could start scheduling to meet self-imposed requirements on how many P5 schools they are playing. How does this change anything for Army except add an extra loss or two (most likely) to their record every year? This does not put Army on the same level as ND or BYU in terms of the national football landscape.

15. dply

I'm more afraid that where the SEC goes the NCAA follows. So, yeah, maybe a bit of rabble rabble on my part.

16. TSchekler

And you and onealcd may be right. From the article, though, I just don't see this as news other than the SEC using a "loophole" to officially meet their scheduling requirements.

17. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Army is a head-scratcher. I can see the justification for BYU and certainly ND. Thing is, even BYU has never been in a P5 conference. ND has never been in a conference, but there's little doubt they could be.

Army, OTOH, is a distant third in the Commander In Chief trifecta every year and they're somehow elevated to P5 status over Navy and Air Force, who, by sure dumb luck, happen to be members of non-P5 conferences.

It's obviously little more than a ploy on the SECs part to lump in another patsy that will help meet their scheduling needs.

18. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

I thought Army was going into the American conference as well...has that changed?

19. GoBeers

GoBeers Club Member Club Member

Army makes no sense. They have been a lot worse than Navy and especially Air Force for years.

BYU will be in demand. Guess that opens the door for CSU to the B12.:nod:

20. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Oh, that door has been WIDE open for a long time now. The sheep are mulling over their options.