What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Second Spring Scrimmage Stats

I do not believe that the talent level is as good at CU as it is at Fresno State.

Frankly, once you get outside the top 30 or so in terms of recruiting rankings, it's pretty cloudy water. Fresno State has a VERY good QB and has lots of weapons, not 1-2 like CU. Lots of speed on that team.

We somehow think we are more talented than non BCS schools, but we frankly are not. We have had a lot of attrition and guys not develop. We are not a BCS team right now. We are a WAC team, without a QB.

'Tini - when I say this you jump down my throat. When buffaholic says it you ignore it. I demand that you either apologize to me or jumps all over buffaholic. I object to this double standard - I am tired of being ostracized because I am a middle-class, white Male.

Dillon can surpass Wilson's and Hogan's production in his first year starting. A Kevin Price type year isn't totally out of the question.

But Mariota and Hundley are next level type players. I don't see Dillon reaching that high his first few years.

It's a mix of a few different things, how fast and reliable the WRs are, can the OL protect, is the RB situation effective outside of Powell who has had durability issues, and are the schemes effective enough keep defenses off balance. Basically how much of what went wrong last year will go wrong this year?

If we are going to project hypothetical scenarios then why compare him to Kenny Price, why not Johnny Manziel? This is a major problem with Buff fans - they are not aggressive enough in their delusions. They could really learn something from Nebraska and Texas fans.

If we are going to project hypothetical scenarios then why compare him to Kenny Price, why not Johnny Manziel? This is a major problem with Buff fans - they are not aggressive enough in their delusions. They could really learn something from Nebraska and Texas fans.

It's March what do you expect.

Price threw for 2700 and 19/13. Not exactly unattainable, although by our recent standards yes that seems far fetched. But to put it into perspective, that's just 52% of Manziel's total yards.

Looking at QB's we will play, we are behind the 8-ball big time.

ASU - Kelly will be a JR
USC - will be plugging in the "next" guy
WA - returns Price for his SR year
Stanford - Hogan returns for his SO year
Oregon - Mariota will be a SO
AZ - battle ongoing, but their backup last year, Denker (SR, Juco starter prior) put over 50 on our Buffs in his only start last year.
UCLA - returns Hundley, will be a SO
Oregon State - upperclassmen Vaz and Manion are splitting reps again this spring. Both have a wealth of gameday experience.
Fresno State - Carr returns for his SR year
Central Arkansas - Returns Smothers, a run/pass guy with a lot of experience (sounds familiar)
Utah - They broke in True Frosh Travis Wilson who started the last 6 games, gaining valuable experience

And only Cal looks to be breaking in a new QB, as Sonny Dykes decides which of the three 4-star Blue Chips will get the nod at QB.

Well we could very well have a 5th year senior starting who has tons of game experience so those schools are all f**ked.

Dillon can surpass Wilson's and Hogan's production in his first year starting. A Kevin Price type year isn't totally out of the question.

But Mariota and Hundley are next level type players. I don't see Dillon reaching that high his first few years.

It's a mix of a few different things, how fast and reliable the WRs are, can the OL protect, is the RB situation effective outside of Powell who has had durability issues, and are the schemes effective enough keep defenses off balance. Basically how much of what went wrong last year will go wrong this year?

Dillon hasn't surpassed a couple QBs on his own roster yet! Let's not get all "Connor Wood is going to win the Heisman" just yet!

Hogan is a next level type player. He took over midseason and led Stanford to the conference title and a Rose Bowl win. He was not just a game manager either.

It's March what do you expect.

Price threw for 2700 and 19/13. Not exactly unattainable, although by our recent standards yes that seems far fetched. But to put it into perspective, that's just 52% of Manziel's total yards.

It's worth noting Washington's offense was really bad last season.

Dillon hasn't surpassed a couple QBs on his own roster yet! Let's not get all "Connor Wood is going to win the Heisman" just yet!

Way too late for that. But it's only March. Wait until August when the hype machine picks up steam based on Fall scrimmage reports. Someone should get a head start on reserving Dillon4heisman.com.

Hogan is a next level type player. He took over midseason and led Stanford to the conference title and a Rose Bowl win. He was not just a game manager either.

He averaged 150/yards per game (120 passing, 30 rushing). I think he's very talented, and those stats have a lot to do with Stanford's running game effectiveness and their conservative nature. But he personally didn't put up eye popping stats last year.

Way too late for that. But it's only March. Wait until August when the hype machine picks up steam based on Fall scrimmage reports. Someone should get a head start on reserving Dillon4heisman.com.

Well and if you believe Tini, Dillon will be up to about 225 by the time fall camp opens so I don't think 1st team all Pac 12 is out of the question.

He averaged 150/yards per game (120 passing, 30 rushing). I think he's very talented, and those stats have a lot to do with Stanford's running game effectiveness and their conservative nature. But he personally didn't put up eye popping stats last year.

It is not always just about stats. Aside from the Buffs, he played:

Oregon State
@ Oregon
@ UCLA
UCLA
Wisconsin

Not exactly easy competition and he won every game. Plus that comeback at Oregon was pretty special.

Well and if you believe Tini, Dillon will be up to about 225 by the time fall camp opens so I don't think 1st team all Pac 12 is out of the question.

Sigh.

1. I said 220
2. Basing it off of his weight gain trend since he got to campus. If you have a better way to predict his weight go right ahead and enlighten me

It is not always just about stats. Aside from the Buffs, he played:

Oregon State
@ Oregon
@ UCLA
UCLA
Wisconsin

Not exactly easy competition and he won every game. Plus that comeback at Oregon was pretty special.

The thing I like about Hogan is he didn't make many mistakes, and picked up yards and a couple of TD's with his legs. Some of that might have been Stanford putting him in situations where he wouldn't make costly mistakes.

Tough to say if Dillon could match that productivity if he was walking into last year's Stanford offense. I haven't seen him throw a pass at CU yet. It would come down to how well he can limit turnovers and how mobile he is.

Sigh.

1. I said 220
2. Basing it off of his weight gain trend since he got to campus. If you have a better way to predict his weight go right ahead and enlighten me

Weight gain (or loss) is almost never linear particularly for a tall, lanky kid like Dillon with a 19 year old's metabolism. Same goes for heavy folks - a 400 pound guy might lose 15 pounds his first week with a trainer but he's not going to continue on that pace and lose 200 pounds in 3 months.

You should know this better than anyone - after 2 1/2 years lifting weights and downing the creatine what are you up to? 155?

Weight gain (or loss) is almost never linear particularly for a tall, lanky kid like Dillon with a 19 year old's metabolism. Same goes for heavy folks - a 400 pound guy might lose 15 pounds his first week with a trainer but he's not going to continue on that pace and lose 200 pounds in 3 months.

You should know this better than anyone - after 2 1/2 years lifting weights and downing the creatine what are you up to? 155?

Did I say it was linear? No I did not, I actually made it a point to say that this was less than his monthly average weight gain since he got to campus. Him getting up to 220 is actually nearly half a pound less a month from his gains since he got to campus, ala a decreasing returns to scale, which is exactly what you would expect in a weight gain scenario.

must.. not... comment... on... obvious... point... poor... tini...

No go ahead since you're an all knowing person, or so you think you are. I would love for you to explain to me how it's so unreasonable to expect someone in a BCS strength and conditioning program to gain roughly 12 pounds in roughly six months. Make my day.

No go ahead since you're an all knowing person, or so you think you are. I would love for you to explain to me how it's so unreasonable to expect someone in a BCS strength and conditioning program to gain roughly 12 pounds in roughly six months. Make my day.
read what I quoted. You know, the stuff you wrote. Also, Sinkratz makes the argument. then, take put your baby bottle back in your mouth and think before speaking (typing?) further :lol:

Did I say it was linear? No I did not, I actually made it a point to say that this was less than his monthly average weight gain since he got to campus. Him getting up to 220 is actually nearly half a pound less a month from his gains since he got to campus, ala a decreasing returns to scale, which is exactly what you would expect in a weight gain scenario.

Really, a whole half pound per month? Poor kid, I hope he still gets enough iron.

When he looks like Rothlisberger next spring I'll send you some rep.

read what I quoted. You know, the stuff you wrote. Also, Sinkratz makes the argument. then, take put your baby bottle back in your mouth and think before speaking (typing?) further :lol:

Ah so according to tapatalk, you didn't quote anything other than my latest post in this thread. Please, go ahead and explain to me where I am wrong on this. I'll wait.

Ah so according to tapatalk, you didn't quote anything other than my latest post in this thread. Please, go ahead and explain to me where I am wrong on this. I'll wait.
Seriously? You can't figure this out? Here's a hint: Diminishing marginal returns.

Really, a whole half pound per month? Poor kid, I hope he still gets enough iron.

When he looks like Rothlisberger next spring I'll send you some rep.

Because that's clearly what I'm saying...

So two pounds/month in a college S&C program is too much to expect? Awesome, why do we even have Forman on staff then? Dillon at 6'6" 220 is still going to be skinny as well. Two pounds a month between daily lifting, supplements, and a diet plan is very doable, especially since he's still in the beginner phase of lifting if you will, where you will experience larger gains.

Seriously? You can't figure this out? Here's a hint: Diminishing marginal returns.

Awesome, so I screwed up my vocabulary. Glad you care so much about that. Up until point H, this graph illustrates my point perfectly.

udu4e8at.jpg

Every time I read this thread title, I see it as "Second String Scrimmage". And in many ways, that's what it would be at other BCS programs.

Awesome, so I screwed up my vocabulary. Glad you care so much about that. Up until point H, this graph illustrates my point perfectly.

udu4e8at.jpg

A graph about producing jackets illustrates your point about collegiate athlete weight gain perfectly? Roger that.

I haven't found any points about the O line possibly causing some serious issues in the QB performances...

Back