What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo health update

I will agree with Superior in that Sefo left a lot of yards on the field due to making his receivers wait/come back for the football. However that wasn't the biggest issue holding the offense back. It was the change in offensive style/philosopy
Sefo is who he is though. His accuracy didn't have some massive regression in 2014, they simply stopped throwing the bubble screens to Spruce every third play. Saying that if Sefo was more accurate, his yards would be better is like saying, Devin Ross' drops let his yardage and reception numbers low... Well of course they did.

We're comparing Sefo to himself in his best statistical season, which he would have equaled, had he thrown the ball the same amount.

Well, I think Sefo is a great Buff, even with his obvious shortcomings, he's the best option we have for this season.

Likely.

Have to see how Montez improves through summer and fall camp. I am hoping we get to see both this year.

I do not want to see both quarterbacks play this year unless one is in late in the game when we are winning big. I think if they both play this year it means that one or both of them is struggling or gets hurt. Whoever plays better in camp is who I hope to see all year and I hope to see that person succeed.

I have always liked Sefo.

I pray he's 100% this season, and if he isn't, I hope we redshirt him. I think he does have a lot more talent than we give him credit for.
He's at the top of almost all of the record books at CU, and he was definitely coming out right as he got hurt.
If he's healthy, we could beat USC and Utah last season.

It seemed to me Lindgren was trying to implement a different style of play at the beginning of the 2015 season. We seemed to have longer developing plays to hopefully garner bigger gains, IMO. I think Lindgren figured out that Sefo just can't read a defense that way and scrapped that. We go into the USC game with the same strategy as 2014 with a lot of quick hitting plays. CU gets up early, but unfortunately the rest is history. My hope is we stick with what works best going forward with Sefo.

"My hope is we stick with what works best going forward with Sefo."

Spruce graduated so we'll have to go with plan B.

Sefo got alot of his stats playing when the Buffs were down by a ton, facing the second and third teamers on defense. I'm hoping that with the improved offense, more weapons, he can just manage games well enough to win. I'm not on his bandwagon, but I think if he's healthy, he can do well enough to get to a bowl.

Sefo got alot of his stats playing when the Buffs were down by a ton, facing the second and third teamers on defense. I'm hoping that with the improved offense, more weapons, he can just manage games well enough to win. I'm not on his bandwagon, but I think if he's healthy, he can do well enough to get to a bowl.
What? We were in 9/13 games last year, so this is some piss-poor trolling. Provide stats or gtfo.

Some truth to this his freshman year. Not so much the past 2 years.
The only point to be made by making that statement is to cast doubt on his ability. Everyone knows he has his shortcomings, but that's just a generalized BS statement not backed up by facts, and therefore just trolling. No problem, I won't see any more of it.

Sefo has numerous performance issues at this level of competition. His injury can cause him discomfort and pain at any time, which is not good when he needs everything to be aligned just right in order to lead this team to wins. I think it is realistic to see the season playing out as follows:

Sefo is named the starter
Sefo is true to his career numbers and throws a lot of interceptions, taking CU out of games
Sefo will not be 100% but he is a warrior and will leverage to remain the starter
HCMM will continue playing Sefo, CU loses 7-8 games and future QB's on the roster do not get the reps or chance to play with Sefo playing and playing at less than 100%

Sefo has numerous performance issues at this level of competition. His injury can cause him discomfort and pain at any time, which is not good when he needs everything to be aligned just right in order to lead this team to wins. I think it is realistic to see the season playing out as follows:

Sefo is named the starter
Sefo is true to his career numbers and throws a lot of interceptions, taking CU out of games
Sefo will not be 100% but he is a warrior and will leverage to remain the starter
HCMM will continue playing Sefo, CU loses 7-8 games and future QB's on the roster do not get the reps or chance to play with Sefo playing and playing at less than 100%
Negative Nancy! I prefer the "Sefo leads CU to upsets of Michigan, UCLA, Oregon, Stanford and USC, and leads CU to its first Bowl game in 9 years and is drafted in the 1st round of the NFL draft" scenario.

Thing is, I don't think Sefo needs to be a world beater for us to win games this year. He needs to throw for about 250 a game with 2-3 TD's and keep the interceptions to a minimum and avoid the killer late game picks. The defense should be good enough to keep us in most games.

Forget GoT, if you want tragic irony follow the characters of our beloved Buffs. In the 2015 season, Sefo was one of our tragic protagonists. In 2014 Sefo played loose and wracked up a ton of yards. He threw quick...kept sacks down and his health up. Sometimes he threw picks early in the game...acceptable price of being loose and quick. When he threw picks late in games it was because he had to gamble. Our O was hanging within the mighty 2014 PAC12! The archaic Baer D wasn't competitive in the 2014 MAC. Now bring in the passionate 2015 Leavitt D and the 2014 Sefo is more than good enough. Corner is finally turned! That was what was GOING to happen and it was GOING to be great..except...Sefo coached to hold the ball longer (sacks & injuries), wait for play to develop (give opposing D a few seconds to run over the hapless bodies of our flattened OL, which BTW were no less hapless than in 2014 and maybe no different in 2016)...Sefo coached to run between the tackles like some kind of every down short yardage back (injuries)...20 year old's invincibility complex not managed..e.g. fighting unavoidable gang tackle by entire USC DL (season over). Apsay took over and offensive production went through the floor. Tragic Irony complete.

2016 season enter Chev and air-raid like scheme. QB simply throws to unoccupied grass-receiver runs to said unoccupied grass. Does this fit Sefo? Are we going to try to be world-beaters (damn what other people say), or are we going to manage our limitations? Our D will be better...maybe much better.

I Hope 27 points enough to win every game we play this year. 4th year starter at QB, I trust that.

Not really. I think more folks think Sefo tends to fold in crunch time. Quite a difference.

MM on Sefo after 2014 season: “Yes, he’s got to make some better decisions, but really, we weren’t very good on defense,” MacIntyre said. “That put us in a play-calling situation and him in a situation to have to push. (If) we improve on defense, he’s not in that situation as much. We can be a little more conservative. He doesn’t have to force a ball."

Reactions: aik
Could is the operative word, but it's a good bet.
I disagree. Look at Arizona. Look at 2014 numerous games. He chokes when things get tight. Until he proves otherwise he is just a tough player with heart and that doesn't equate to wins with him.

Ugh. That Arizona game still pisses me off. Infuriating at the time and every time I'm reminded of it.

I think the thing that pissed me off the most was that everybody in the stands could see it coming and they just kind of sat back and accepted it. I was going apoplectic and people around me thought I was some kind of nutcase. I'm all like "WTF IS GOING ON OUT THERE! GET YOUR S.HIT TOGETHER!." Folks around me were like "calm down, man". It was like they had seen it before and were totally OK with the outcome that was sure to follow.

So pissed. Still.

Back