1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sefo INTs

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by 89BUFF89, Oct 20, 2014.

1. 89BUFF89

89BUFF89 Well-Known Member

Sefo has obviously been pretty good overall, and the problems with the team are more on defense than offense (other than short yardage plays), but he's got to stop throwing untimely picks to give us a better chance. He's on pace for what, close to 20 picks? Seems to decide who he is throwing to in advance at times and forces it.

2. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

I find it comforting that the first pass of every game is an int. It's continuity in an incontinent world.

3. Bufffan68

Bufffan68 Club Member Club Member

He seems to throw them early in the game too. I think Lindgren should scheme so Sefo only throws high percentage passes until he calms down a bit. I'm guessing he's such a competitor he comes out all freaked out, wanting to make plays. This is a youth problem, kinda hard to blame a guy for his age and experience; this needs to be coached better IMO.

4. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Even with his picks he's on track for a 2.33 TD:INT ratio

5. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

I agree. However, to be fair both of yesterday's picks were incredible individual plays.

Pick one: Cravens comes off his man on the inside when he sees sefo staring down Fields. He leaves his man completely undefended and makes the pick.

Pick two: Safety comes over, kills Bobo, and the ball pops up for grabs.

On both plays, Sefo was not perfect. First play was mental - He stared down a guy despite correctly identifying the defense. Second play was more physical - his throw took to long to get there. Nonetheless, both plays were great plays by USC outside of scheme.

6. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Speak for yourself, man. My world has no incontinence issues.

7. cubuffs11

cubuffs11 Club Member Club Member

Wait, are we talking CU football or DBT's bowel movement issues?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  8. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

In the last two games the opposing defenses have basically taken Spruce out of the game. Expect more of the same in the coming weeks. Sefo does not have a rocket arm so he has to hit the receivers better on timing routes and the receivers have to get open.

9. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

really feel like the last two games outcomes truly effected by these early picks. Agree with earlier post - need to scheme Sefo to high completion % passes until he has his feet under him. Just can not win giving the opponents 14 or more point leads.

10. Quattro

Sefo has a 65.3% completion percentage, how much higher would you like it to be?

11. cubuffs11

Tini, I love the optimism, but you realize we're 2-5, with one win against a FBS team and the other against a 2-5 MW team? There's only so much polishing a turd can handle. It is what it is - we're improving, but we're still bad and have a long way to go.

12. Eggon

Eggon Club Member Club Member

Look, this team is modest in talent, and very young. We were making strides before USC game. However, we are not fully cooked enough yet to start a game with total lack of focus and execution and still come out on top.

Even for good teams possessing more maturity, big mistakes early usually sets the tone for a long day. See last years Super Bowl......

This staff who I am supportive of, has got to better in addressing how we come out of the gate. Be it play calling, personnel, or guts.... figure it out.

USC was the better team, but those early mistakes including Sefo's pick, were just bone crushing. Game, set, match.

I am anticipating Sefo plays better this week. I think we might even see a little Gehrke in a situation or two. Plus I feel we will get back to competitive football. If not, we have a trend......

13. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Bout 74%.

14. Quattro

And what exactly does that have to do with my post about his completion percentage and BuffUp wanting higher completion calls? It's not about being optimistic on this one, it's just looking at the completion percentage he has. A 65%+ completion percentage is very good and top 25 in the country using un-adjusted stats. The offense for the vast majority of the season has not been the problem, it's been the other side of the ball and special teams being unable to stop the other team.

Projecting Sefo's second half of the season...

41.6 TDs
    3939.5 Yards
    15 Interceptions

That is a damn good season for a sophomore QB in one of the toughest leagues.

15. cubuffs11

I guess if this was your only post disagreeing with a negative comment, I would agree.

16. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

He does stare down receivers, needs to work on that. Hard to see from the radio, overall I'm pleased with him. He's come a long way, nothing wrong with getting better. I think he will, he seems like a tough young man, he'll be ok.

17. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Hey! I haven't **** my britches yet!

18. Quattro

Not understanding what you're trying to argue here. Does Sefo need to cut down on the untimely interceptions? Absolutely. Is the biggest reason for the 2-5 record? **** no, that blame goes to the defense and special teams. Sefo has had a hell of a year and has the offense averaging over 30 points per game (29.24 adjusted ppg) where as the defense is allowing 38.6 points per game (32.27 adjusted ppg).

19. cubuffs11

Just agreeing with the OP. This team doesn't have the talent to make up for critical mistakes (i.e. Sefo throwing a pick in the first series against USC). Sefo's stats are good, but that doesn't tell the whole story of his season.

20. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

You're totally missing the point. Sefo's completion percentage isn't the problem being discussed in this thread, it's the INTs and particularly the early ones. His completion percentage over the season isn't relevant because an incomplete pass >>>>>>>>> interceptions.

21. BuffsNYC

BuffsNYC Uptown Club Member

Cody used to throw the first couple of passes about 5 feet over the target's head to start every game, similar to Sefo's early game short circuits. I agree that he should throw a couple safe bubble screens or the like to start the game.

22. Quattro

No I fully understand the point, I said a few posts up that he needs to cut down the ints, but I'm not nearly as concerned about him as I am with the defense and their inability to stop teams.
    Just off the top of my head but that interception against OSU was a high completion route, but Sefo read it terribly. Same with his first pick against USC.

23. Darth Snow

Explain how Sefo read it horribly against USC. Same result, very different process.

24. Quattro

It was a damn good play by the usc guy, but how was it not a bad read on the first one?

25. Darth Snow

Cause the USC guy who intercepted the ball left his man to go make the play? Sefo's problem was staring his guy down, not screwing up the read.

26. Quattro

Looked to me he was shadowing Fields (I think?) Sefo staring down fields makes me think it was a poor pre-snap read. Either way it was a high completion pass, which has been a big topic in this thread

27. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

Sefo's interceptions seem to be an issue with staring down his receiver and a lack of arm strength. That goes for the whole season. The first one you can fix, but unfortunately the second we will probably have to live with the rest of his career. Either way, having these early interceptions, which have turned out to give the opposing teams excellent field position, has to stop. Interceptions are going to happen, especially when you throw the ball as much as he does.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I wonder if scripted plays/throws would be better to start off the game?

28. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

110%

29. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

I don't think that is to much to ask for.

30. Bufffan68

Bufffan68 Club Member Club Member

LOL! Even Peyton "Walks On Water" Manning can't complete more passes than he throws :lol: