What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo is in-Good Call?

I saw some things with Sefo that gave me reason to be encouraged and some that still indicate why he wasn't more heavily recruited by other BCS schools.

On the positive side he seemed like he wanted to be in charge and take on the challenge, and he did. He was a verbal leader out there and backed it with effort. He also played smart for a true Fr. taking what was given to him but not forcing some things that could have resulted in him taking some big hits or in turnovers.

I also saw a kid who had a good awareness of what was happening around him. He threw a lot of quick balls on the second or third step, critical for a guy playing behind our joke of an offensive line and throwing to recievers who are much more likely to be open on quick slants and cuts than on deeper stuff due to our lack of pure speed, PRich excepted.

On the other hand he still lacks arm strength, not being very close or having the velocity on the few longer balls he threw. He also missed some reads and ended up throwing the ball into heavy coverage a few times like on the first INT he threw.

Will it matter much in the context of our season, I don't think so but now that the shirt is gone they need to get him as much time as they can while still being careful not to beat him down.

Our biggest problems are not at QB, they are on the OL and until we can make some major improvement there anything else we do is moving deck chairs on the Titanic. Good RBs and QBs can make average OLs look much better but with an OL like we have they have nothing to work with. Rotten still smells no matter how you try to cover it up.

I like the OL recruits we have so far, especially as time goes on Miller, but these are guys who will need time to develop. We aren't getting kids are ready like Bama and Oregon are recruiting. I have no idea who is available and generally don't like going JUCO but maybe one or two JUCOs would provide some early help at the interior positions.

Before the season I said 3-4 wins and we are on track for that. As ugly as last night looked it was still better than watching the fecal storms that we saw last year. At least we had guys trying and not completely giving up.

On Sefo's arm and his deep balls

1. Went deep to PRich down the sideline where PRich was pushed out of bounds but otherwise it wasn't a bad ball - Should have been PI
2. Went deep again to PRich down the sideline on a corner type route and the corner pushed PRich to gain position to intercept the ball - Should have been another PI
3. Sefo was flushed out of the pocket early and was on the run to his right and tried to get CP the ball down the sideline but it was a yard or a yard and a half out of bounds. Tough throw for a freshman in his first game
4. Threw a very nice ball to McCulloch on a corner route from the opposite hash that gave Tyler just enough space to get his foot down. He had someone in the endzone on that play but it was a late break and was after Sefo had thrown the ball and he probably would have been sacked if he had waited.

In watching the tape Sefo's arm didn't concern me at all. He was fitting the ball in some tight windows and the ball had some velocity on it.

Connor didn't help the OL much by scrambling outside while there's still a pocket.

Sent from a red light

This

Wood flushed on pressure that didn't exist. He never stepped up and he almost always had his eyes down as he fled. To make it worse, he started just throwing up 50/50 balls at the end of the play. The oline is not good, but he made it look even worse than it was.

Connor didn't help the OL much by scrambling outside while there's still a pocket.

Sent from a red light

It was not for nothing that he started doing this. When he'd gotten hit in the mouth a few times against Central Arkansas, he seemingly lost faith in the line's ability to protect him, which led to the scrambles, shoddy mechanics and horrendous performances. As I posted elsewhere, a lot of things have to go wrong for us to play as poorly as we have been.

on sefo's arm and his deep balls

1. Went deep to prich down the sideline where prich was pushed out of bounds but otherwise it wasn't a bad ball - should have been pi
2. Went deep again to prich down the sideline on a corner type route and the corner pushed prich to gain position to intercept the ball - should have been another pi
3. Sefo was flushed out of the pocket early and was on the run to his right and tried to get cp the ball down the sideline but it was a yard or a yard and a half out of bounds. Tough throw for a freshman in his first game
4. Threw a very nice ball to mcculloch on a corner route from the opposite hash that gave tyler just enough space to get his foot down. He had someone in the endzone on that play but it was a late break and was after sefo had thrown the ball and he probably would have been sacked if he had waited.

In watching the tape sefo's arm didn't concern me at all. He was fitting the ball in some tight windows and the ball had some velocity on it.

1-4 yup

Yes, i'm fully on board with it.

I hate to bash the kid, but Connor Wood is not a D-IA starter at QB. The guy has all the tools, except the composure needed between the ears.

Sefo has shown amazing comfort and confidence thus far. I still remember Bellarmine's state championship game against Skyline last year where SHS had all-conference players lined up across the board and Bellarmine really only had Sefo. He was getting beat to hell and BHS eventually lost, but Sefo stood in the pocket taking shot after shot, making play after play. We need that type of gamer now who will keep us in games and keep the offense functional even as we face lots of adversity on both sides of the ball.

It is my hope as he is elevated to work as the starter, and he gets all the meaningful reps in practice, that his game will continue to improve and he matures into a leader that can get this rebuilding process truly under way.

Bold above. It's the only post I read in this thread and it nails it. Connor Wood handles adversity poorly. He's a 4th year Junior. Sefo came in without the deer in the headlights look. It eventually came when they kept getting to him, but he has the "it factor" that Connor doesn't. I've turned the page and will look to developing our QB of the future while perhaps not winning more than a game or two more.

Sure, but the throws weren't concerning at all, and that was the point, apparently you missed it.

Sent from a red light

No. I did not. I agreed his arm is fine. Unless that was not your point? Was PI.

No. I did not. I agreed his arm is fine. Unless that was not your point? Was PI.

My bad, I misinterpreted your post. Yeah my point is that we shouldn't be concerned with his arm strength at this point.

Sent from a red light

It was not for nothing that he started doing this. When he'd gotten hit in the mouth a few times against Central Arkansas, he seemingly lost faith in the line's ability to protect him, which led to the scrambles, shoddy mechanics and horrendous performances. As I posted elsewhere, a lot of things have to go wrong for us to play as poorly as we have been.

No doubt. I just remember the CAU and Oregon games and seeing him run into a DE multiple times instead of stepping up into the pocket and hitting a guy on a short or intermediate route.

Sent from a red light

If nothing else having Sefo play now sets us up better for next season. He will not be a complete rookie next season in game 1, he will at least have some good game minutes under his belt. That being said, in my opinion we are now out of the most brutal part of our schedule. It was a good time for the QB change. Hopefully they can get him a win next week and he can start building on that.

YES... It is time to move on and try something else. CU needs wins, a win, have to start showing more progress or this downward spiral might never end. If CU wants to attract Pac12 caliber ball players, we need to start seeing wins. Period.
If they have to play the water boy, go to a veer offense, go to the spread and throw 70 times a game. CU has to do anything it can to get a WIN.. Results on scoreboards and wins are what will get this turned around. Sefo might not be the answer. At least something is being done. Remember when BJack was put in and we ran the option?? I will give danny boy that one, he was trying to show results.
Kids these days want to see results and are in a society where everything is instant, instant results. CU needs to WIN!

Last edited:
"I feel like I left a lot of plays out there," Liufau said. "I didn't really take care of the ball. I threw two picks with a safety and a fumble. That hurt the team a lot, even though coming into the situation and being backed up. That's unacceptable.I let the team down."
Liufau said it took him a few plays to catch up to the speed of the game but he began to feel comfortable from that point forward.

Kid is a competitor, I will give him that. He doesn't like to make mistakes and with a 68Td/20int record in HS I can't blame him. If the bolded part is true, then next week could be fun for Sefo.

My bad, I misinterpreted your post. Yeah my point is that we shouldn't be concerned with his arm strength at this point.

Sent from a red light

No worries. Hopefully we are mutually agreeing soon that Sefo has a cannon of an arm and somehow managed turn this ship around by himself :lol: The defense, "well pour me another one bartender......"

Does anyone remember Koy Detmer's debut at Nebraska on Halloween? He looked like he was about 12 years old and got destroyed every play, but he turned out to be a Buff great. That is a hard situation.

Sefo had a ton of poise given the moment and circumstances. I think he's a gamer and a learner who isn't going to get rattled by the onslaught of pressure. I saw some leadership qualities as well. The opposing D's aggressiveness might even open a few things up.

The OL needs to run a few thousand laps this week. They aren't giving us a chance right now.

Does anyone remember Koy Detmer's debut at Nebraska on Halloween? He looked like he was about 12 years old and got destroyed every play, but he turned out to be a Buff great. That is a hard situation.

Sefo had a ton of poise given the moment and circumstances. I think he's a gamer and a learner who isn't going to get rattled by the onslaught of pressure. I saw some leadership qualities as well. The opposing D's aggressiveness might even open a few things up.

The OL needs to run a few thousand laps this week. They aren't giving us a chance right now.

Want to see them pushing the sled fully loaded all week from one end to the other. Get old school with the o-line. Tire flipping, rope swinging, sled pushing, and bear crawls. We need mauler's, not finesse guys.

I like the spirit!

Kid is a competitor, I will give him that. He doesn't like to make mistakes and with a 68Td/20int record in HS I can't blame him. If the bolded part is true, then next week could be fun for Sefo.

He doesnt need to apologize for that safety. He had no chance on that.

Back