What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo Liufau v Steven Montez

Starting QB when Sefo is back

• Total voters
sefo dropped 2 dimes on Ross. He dropped them. Was that Sefo's fault?

My point is that this generic description of the game is doing a disservice to what happened. Ridiculous oversimplification, as it were.

This is a weird turn on the narrative. Sefo, for all his toughness and all his leadership, has regularly been identified as one of the least clutch QBs to ever don the Black and Gold. Now it is all about the team letting him down?

All I know is that for the previous 3 years, the team couldn't win a game like the one against Oregon. I think Montez's particular swagger and confidence helped with that.

That was 2015. No one's over-simplifying it, you're the one who's making it about the Oregon result rather than Montez's performance in these 2 games.
Wait, what? Why are we avoiding the points made?

This is a weird turn on the narrative. Sefo, for all his toughness and all his leadership, has regularly been identified as one of the least clutch QBs to ever don the Black and Gold. Now it is all about the team letting him down?

All I know is that for the previous 3 years, the team couldn't win a game like the one against Oregon. I think Montez's particular swagger and confidence helped with that.
My point is this: the team was not nearly as good around Sefo as it has been around Montez this year. Does that point stand? Cause this year's sefo has been at least as good as this year's montez. Sooooo

Wait, what? Why are we avoiding the points made?
What point? No one is doing what you say here: "My point is that this generic description of the game is doing a disservice to what happened. Ridiculous oversimplification, as it were."

I don't want Montez to start because of the Oregon final result, I think he should start because of how he's played. I never made any generic descriptions of the game or ridiculous oversimplifications, did I? I never once claimed that result mattered to my opinion of who should start.

Do we have stats to back that up, because my eyes must see something different. And Montez is significantly more accurate in the near to midrange routes.
Sefo was ranked as one of the most accurate at the long ball. Montez has been slightly more accurate in the shorts, but 2016 Sefo much better than 2015 Sefo in shorts. Don't care much for qb stats in CFB. 200yds passing against UM >>> 400 yards against 2016 Oregon.

Big thing is that Montez hasn't faced a scary pass rush(except at UM). Past two games he's been pretty comfortable back there. Week 6 SC will bring scary pass rush. It's good to have experience with that.

What point? No one is doing what you say here: "My point is that this generic description of the game is doing a disservice to what happened. Ridiculous oversimplification, as it were."

I don't want Montez to start because of the Oregon final result, I think he should start because of how he's played. I never made any generic descriptions of the game or ridiculous oversimplifications, did I? I never once claimed that result mattered to my opinion of who should start.
The problem here is dio is all about result and that's bleeding into our discussion.

Has Montez played better than Sefo overall this season? I honestly don't think so. If you believe otherwise, it's easy to see why we disagree.

sidenote; this is a bad ass problem.

There was 9 minutes left and another down.

So there are 9 minutes left, which means we probably aren't going for it on 4th down there. We didn't score after that, so thanks for proving my point.

Everyone just writing off Montez's performance against Michigan doesn't make much sense to me either. It was decidedly "unclutch." He played a great game against Oregon and I am thrilled to have him, but he wouldn't have had to have been clutch there if he didn't turn the ball over and let them back into the game.

@NW Buff -- go read an alabama board or watch a nick saban presser. a fan dies a thousand deaths worrying, regardless of the level we are playing at.

i am so ****ing happy to be winning right now. but, i look at our linebackers and i worry. i look at our special teams and i worry. i look at our schedule and i worry.

we got ourselves the good kind of problems. and we are going to get better. we are at the front end of a new era of glory. i really believe that. and i am so so so going to enjoy the ride, because they don't last. i hope we don't ever fall as far as we did these past 10 years again, but good times don't last. so, let's eat every last piece of the sweet pie we are being offered. savor it. dream it. we are headed up.

GO BUFFS!

So there are 9 minutes left, which means we probably aren't going for it on 4th down there. We didn't score after that, so thanks for proving my point.

Everyone just writing off Montez's performance against Michigan doesn't make much sense to me either. It was decidedly "unclutch." He played a great game against Oregon and I am thrilled to have him, but he wouldn't have had to have been clutch there if he didn't turn the ball over and let them back into the game.
The game plays out totally differently if we don't score there so I don't see how the fact we didn't score after that matters unless you're actually dumb enough to think we run the same play calls and everything happens the exact same way. It's akin to saying we would have lost without the fifth down because we totally would've spiked it on 4th or called a run on 3rd.

Last edited:
@NW Buff -- go read an alabama board or watch a nick saban presser. a fan dies a thousand deaths worrying, regardless of the level we are playing at.

i am so ****ing happy to be winning right now. but, i look at our linebackers and i worry. i look at our special teams and i worry. i look at our schedule and i worry.

we got ourselves the good kind of problems. and we are going to get better. we are at the front end of a new era of glory. i really believe that. and i am so so so going to enjoy the ride, because they don't last. i hope we don't ever fall as far as we did these past 10 years again, but good times don't last. so, let's eat every last piece of the sweet pie we are being offered. savor it. dream it. we are headed up.

GO BUFFS!
I agree with you and your concerns. The Montez vs Sefo stuff is not something I am going to worry about.

Simple...

In order to win versus USC how open must the playbook be? If Lindgrin and Chev fell they need to pull out all the stops then play Sefo if they think they may remain guarded in their play calling Montez may get the nod. I would hope given Oregon State was the opponent, the coaches had Sefo prepping this last week for USC.

The game plays out totally differently if we don't score there or kick a field goal so I don't see how the fact we didn't score after that matters unless you're actually dumb enough to think we run the same play calls. It's akin to saying we would have lost without the fifth down because we totally would've kneeled it on 4th or called a run on 3rd.

Montez's overall second half performance doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me that we would have put another six on the board. Discounting the Bobo catch, the second half stats say he was at least as likely to throw another pick as throw another TD.

Still no comment on the Michigan game, eh?

Montez's overall second half performance doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me that we would have put another six on the board. Discounting the Bobo catch, the second half stats say he was at least as likely to throw another pick as throw another TD.
"And Sefo's first 3 seasons don't inspire a lot of confidence in me that he won't return to that form, his past three years say he's at least as likely to still throw picks at bad moments, miss easy throws, and find ways to lose rather than finally figure it out." 4-1 and our QBs playing well does inspire confidence in me, however.

"And Sefo's first 3 seasons don't inspire a lot of confidence in me that he won't return to that form, his past three years say he's at least as likely to still throw picks at bad moments, miss easy throws, and find ways to lose rather than finally figure it out."
little too energetic here. I'm not so into dissing one of the guys.

I prefer Montez to start. His performace in two games has been equal at worst to Liufau's best games over 2+ seasons. Liufau is at his peak and Montez has upside.

Provided he is completely healthy, we'll need Sefo's football IQ more than anything else for USC. That's a game where experience will matter, all other things being equal.

I was massively depressed at the end of UM because we lost Sefo, McCartney and Diego.

I love that we were able to handle the Oregon teams with Montez leading our offense. I am excited and enjoying the moment. ...but the Oregon schools suck. UofO is getting clocked by WSU...the same WSU who hasn't beat anyone other than Idaho this year.

I hope that Sefo is ready next week cause we need to step it up a notch.

either way, seems like weird.
I get that, it felt wrong in a way and maybe was going a bit far even to play devil's advocate, but I get a bit annoyed at this whole discrediting Montez any way possible and even suggesting he would have inevitably cost us that game when the topic is Sefo vs Montez and Sefo has made his own mistakes throughout his career. Sefo's* been pretty flawless so far, and like I said, ideally, he leads us to a bowl game and more, I hope he can keep it up if he does get the start.

Last edited:
I get that, it felt wrong in a way and maybe was going a bit far, but I get a bit annoyed at this whole discrediting Montez any way possible and even suggesting he would have inevitably cost us that game when the topic is Sefo vs Montez and Sefo has made his own mistakes throughout his career. He's been pretty flawless so far, and like I said, ideally, he leads us to a bowl game and more, I hope he can keep it up if he does get the start.
Umm, seriously? That's not a knock on the guy. He described his play against Michigan as terrible on his own. And those two picks against oregon...

Just saying, seems like something is off with the analysis .

Back