What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo Liufau v Steven Montez

Starting QB when Sefo is back

• Total voters
I think Sefo has had this USC game circled. He was having the game of his career against them last season and then suffered a season-ending injury. He wants this one bad.

I get that, it felt wrong in a way and maybe was going a bit far even to play devil's advocate, but I get a bit annoyed at this whole discrediting Montez any way possible and even suggesting he would have inevitably cost us that game when the topic is Sefo vs Montez and Sefo has made his own mistakes throughout his career. He's been pretty flawless so far, and like I said, ideally, he leads us to a bowl game and more, I hope he can keep it up if he does get the start.

No. That isn't what's being said. The pro- Sefo opinions are that we're one great catch away from not having this conversation at all and/or that Sefo has been better this year. I think those are hard points to argue but you can certainly disagree. Everyone making those points has also said they're excited about Montez.

FWIW, I was one of Sefos biggest critics before this year, but I think he's earned the nod.

Sefo, its his job to lose and he's done nothing to lose it. But, its been really good to see Montez start off like this. He made some eye opening throws today, and his feet can get him out of trouble better than Sefo's can. The future is very very bright at QB.

The problem here is dio is all about result and that's bleeding into our discussion.

Has Montez played better than Sefo overall this season? I honestly don't think so. If you believe otherwise, it's easy to see why we disagree.

sidenote; this is a bad ass problem.

Just to be clear - My first post in my thread is saying that Sefo should be the starter when healthy. He's been awesome to start the year. And yes, the team is better.... but speaking of intangibles, I think that Montez has more of a 'i'm going to make a play' attitude about him. I also think he's a better passer - but he's young and makes young QB mistakes.

In 4 seasons, what has he done to earn it?
How would Montez have played with Sefo's O-line and receivers 3 years ago? Probably a lot like he looked against Mich, or worse. Sefo's games vs USC last year and Mich 2.5 quarters this year beat anything Montez has done. College kids get better with experience.

Future looks bright though. Our O next year going to roll.

Sefo's games vs USC last year and Mich 2.5 quarters this year beat anything Montez has done.

It will be nice if/when fans allow themselves to gauge performance based on wins and losses again. It has been over a dozen years so it is hard to get used to.

It will be nice if/when fans allow themselves to gauge performance based on wins and losses again. It has been over a dozen years so it is hard to get used to.
Ok. Sefo was beating Mich and USC. Montez lost to Mich and beat arguably two worst defensive teams in the conference.

If Mike Mc reads the newspapers and the internet (slim chance), he would have heard that his CU gig is seriously at risk unless the Buffs go to a bowl this year. That's powerful motivation to get to 6+ wins, and I don't expect he'll be driven by sentiment. To keep starting Montez, you don't necessarily have to believe that he's head and shoulders better than Sefo, you just have to have a bias towards "going with the hot hand", as they say. Again, I'd be pretty surprised of Sefo starts next week. We'll just have to see.

The annoying part of playing USC on the road is having to listen to that goddam little music ditty that isn't even a whole song.

Disclaimer: My opinion in no way discredits Montez

I think IF Liufao is able to practice for the ENTIRE week and is 100%, he starts.
- He has done nothing to relinquish his job.
- He is a team captain and the rest of the team responds to him. That fact a lone can't be discredited.
- He is a senior
- the equation: Talent + Experience is higher for Liufao than Montez
- Having Montez breathing down Liufao's neck I think will provide an even BIGGER spark for Liufao to perform
- Nothing says you can't throw Montez in on say goal line situations where you really want to sell the QB run.
- Montez realizes he's a freshman and will have absolutely NO ill will giving the job back to Liufao when Sefo's healthy...and thus will have no reservations about stepping back in when he's needed.

When Sefo is healthy then he starts and all of the players can understand and respect that decision. To do otherwise would split the players into 2 groups and create conflict.

I'm sure a lot of you have been on teams where this very thing has happened and it is always bad. Sr. starter gets hurt, younger backup comes in and plays well or even marginally better, Senior never gets a shot again. Teammates(friends) get disgruntled and choose sides. If the team keeps winning then the resentment never boils over, but man oh man if the understudy screws up and loses a game - full blown dissension in the locker-room. Fights at parties. All sorts of ****.

Sefo should get a long leash (5 qtrs.) to win the job back when he is 100%. Unless of course it's toward the end of a winning season and everybody, including Sefo, could see that it would be detrimental to a successful finish.

If Sefo is 100%, he would have to be the starter. You don't dump a senior captain, school record holder, who was playing lights out.

For recruits, much more attractive to have a great freshman QB, than a great senior.

Not seriously: if they did dump Sefo, could he qualify for a redshirt and transfer? I don't see him quitting.

Jim, never underestimate the inclination of internet sports fans to lead with their hearts rather than their heads.

I think Sefo has earned it, and to be honest, I'm more worried about the defense. OSU had quite a bit of success running and with short passes with Garretson in - he just couldn't consistently hit open receivers. We have stuff to fix for USC.

I think Sefo has earned it, and to be honest, I'm more worried about the defense. OSU had quite a bit of success running and with short passes with Garretson in - he just couldn't consistently hit open receivers. We have stuff to fix for USC.

Agree. The USC game will be tough.

Edit: Agree with the "stuff to fix" comment, not starting Sefo...

When Sefo is healthy then he starts and all of the players can understand and respect that decision. To do otherwise would split the players into 2 groups and create conflict.

I'm sure a lot of you have been on teams where this very thing has happened and it is always bad. Sr. starter gets hurt, younger backup comes in and plays well or even marginally better, Senior never gets a shot again. Teammates(friends) get disgruntled and choose sides. If the team keeps winning then the resentment never boils over, but man oh man if the understudy screws up and loses a game - full blown dissension in the locker-room. Fights at parties. All sorts of ****.

Sefo should get a long leash (5 qtrs.) to win the job back when he is 100%. Unless of course it's toward the end of a winning season and everybody, including Sefo, could see that it would be detrimental to a successful finish.

Let's hope that the coaching staff's focus is on winning games and getting bowl eligible. Pretty sure that it is.

I think this discussion is going to end up not mattering a whole lot. Given Sefo's recent injury history, we are likely looking at Montez starting more games anyway. We will need both guys to win some games to finish out this season. Sefo starts when healthy, but doubtful it stays that way.

Teams always have stuff to fix and work on. "You've never arrived", but check the stats. OSU ran for 126 yards on 34 attempts (3.7 avg). That's hardly quite a bit of success.

I think the main issue is if you believe the run game is that much better with Montez in. I think passing wise it probably goes to Sefo or maybe an even battle but seems like teams can't handle the true run threat with Montez in there. So does the added run game mean more or does the better pass ability and expanded playbook trump all?

I think this discussion is going to end up not mattering a whole lot. Given Sefo's recent injury history, we are likely looking at Montez starting more games anyway. We will need both guys to win some games to finish out this season. Sefo starts when healthy, but doubtful it stays that way.
1) Of course this discussion doesn't matter... well unless one of you on this board it one of the co-OCs
2) Absolutely, HCMM already said that he knows that he will need both of those guys.

As said earlier, this is not a bad problem to have. Montez is a very capable back-up that has demonstrated an ability to strap it on as a starter and succeed. Sefo has performed wonderfully this year and is this team's leader. I am of the belief that Sefo will start at USC and Montez will be prepared to take over as needed. Montez should be much better prepared mentally and physically to lead the team if called upon next week than he was at Michigan.

Back