What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo Liufau v Steven Montez

Starting QB when Sefo is back

• Total voters
Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express proposal

MacIntye says he's going to keep the hottest hand going into USC.

When Montez goes 3-and-out twice in a game or turns the ball over twice in a game, then Sefo comes in.

Then when Sefo is the starter, he faces the same deal.

If you want to be CU's starter, don't stall the offense and don't throw a pick.

You must be joking. I mean this is an unreal level of delusion and/or jockstrap riding.

FlatironBuff explained my reasons two posts after you. Montez didn't lose the game at Michigan. You need to re-watch the second half of that game.

When Montez goes 3-and-out twice in a game or turns the ball over twice in a game, then Sefo comes in.

That sounds like it's right out of the Jon Embree handbook.

Reactions: dio
We have 2 good QBs playing in one of the most QB-friendly systems in the nation and with one of the best WR groups in the nation. Plus, our OL has been providing great protection along with a solid running game.

What I'm getting it is that the QB question isn't a big concern for me.

At USC with Pendergast drawing up a lot of schematic creativity with those athletes, I'd prefer to have the veteran who will be able to recognize and audible. I also think that more of the playbook is known cold by Sefo than by Montez.

Long-term, I think Montez can be a better QB than Sefo because he's a little bigger, has a bigger arm and is quite a bit faster. But right now I believe that a healthy Sefo is a better QB than Montez. A lot closer than I thought, though, and this is a bowl team with either guy behind center.

Last edited:
FlatironBuff explained my reasons two posts after you. Montez didn't lose the game at Michigan. You need to re-watch the second half of that game.

Okay, so Sefo gets all the blame when we lose, but Montez takes none of it when we lose? Am I doing this right?

If you're saying that the WRs lost the Michigan game, I must presume that you wholeheartedly believe the WRs won the Oregon game for us. So why are you giving Montez so much credit for beating the worst team in the conference at home?

Also, Frazier is not a WR.

Okay, so Sefo gets all the blame when we lose, but Montez takes none of it when we lose? Am I doing this right?

If you're saying that the WRs lost the Michigan game, I must presume that you wholeheartedly believe the WRs won the Oregon game for us. So why are you giving Montez so much credit for beating the worst team in the conference at home?

Also, Frazier is not a WR.

Obviously you didn't watch the Michigan game. That's some homework for you if you have access to the PAC-12 Network.

After those receivers including Frazier (I did put "FB" to show that Frazier is a fullback not WR) watched how they did with Montez in Ann Arbor the following day, they certainly stepped up big in Eugene and had some spectacular catches especially Bobo.

If those players including the fullback caught those passes, CU probably would be 5-0 at this point. Both CU QBs have played well all season long.

Montez threw the ball 7 times against Michigan. 7 plays in the 2nd half did not lose us the game, special teams did.

Those seven dropped passes would be no 2 why we lost the game. The Buffs D got gassed over those three & outs.

I agree Liufau has the edge in experience but at the same time, CU has a very solid supporting cast that it might not matter who the QB is.

Obviously you didn't watch the Michigan game. That's some homework for you if you have access to the PAC-12 Network.

After those receivers including Frazier (I did put "FB" to show that Frazier is a fullback not WR) watched how they did with Montez in Ann Arbor the following day, they certainly stepped up big in Eugene and had some spectacular catches especially Bobo.

If those players including the fullback caught those passes, CU probably would be 5-0 at this point. Both CU QBs have played well all season long.

I watched it. No one with an iota of football knowledge would pin that loss on the receiving corps. And I see that you also appear to believe that every pass Montez threw in that game should have been caught. Either trolling or related to Montez, can't figure out which.

Those seven dropped passes would be no 2 why we lost the game. The Buffs D got gassed over those three & outs.

I agree Liufau has the edge in experience but at the same time, CU has a very solid supporting cast that it might not matter who the QB is.
So all 7 were on the money and simply dropped by the WRs?

I have thought about it a bit and I have come to the conclusion that Sefo will definitely start when he is healthy and he should. Here is why. Itgives Mac the best options going forward.

If you let Montez continue to play, he and even the rest of the team will look over his shoulder evry time he has a bad series. Gosh forbid 2 bad series, which will happen this year. While this is true for either quarterback this year who do you think will handle the pressure better. The 19 or the 22 year old. I have been impressed by Montez just like evreryone else but I know Sefo will handle the pressure emotionally better.

If you stick with Montez you tell the rest of the team if you get injured you may loose your spot, even if you were playing great before hand. Not a good message to send into a lockerroom. If Sefo squeeked by CSU and was doing OK against Michigan you might be able to get by with "It is just the young kids time." But in this case Sefo was playing lights out. When people loose their job to an injury they were not playing as well as Sefo was before.

By returning Sefo to the startingline up you bring the senior leader back on the field. This is the way things are "supposed" to happen. This will be normal and in a time of great change this will not cuase any drama. Montez will graciously step backwards knowing that he is lined up for 3 more fantastic years.

This also allows Mac the easiest way to replace a bad decision. Follow me on this one. If Sefo stumbles in the next game or two, Mac can very easily say "Sefo was out quarterback and when he was healthy he started but I decided we needed some fire and a change a pace and brought Montez in."

If he goes with Montez and he stumbles and he has to bring Sefo in he basically has to admint he made the wrong call by continueing with Montez.

So essentially giving Sefo back the ball is the least riskiest option and allows for the easiest transition if it is a bad choice. That said I posted earlier here and I stick by it. Sefo knows the offense just a little bit better, is a little bit better of a leader, sees the defense just a little bit better. He also gets the ball out, even on the deep routes a little bit faster. Go time it, I am right. I think both of these quarterbacks can win the next two games. Sefo makes it look easy.

No problem with this. Let's just win the game. Montez starts against USC. No problem with the short leashes.

Montez is the more accurate passer.

Especially on the quick short throws that have to be perfect for the play to work. For example the Shay screen for the TD. Montez puts it right where it needs to be and it gets there in a hurry. Can't recall a short hopper from him yet.

Montez is the more accurate passer.
I don't really get how you can say that, Sefo was doing great this year and hadn't thrown a pic. Montez is a big arm so obviously he is a fan favorite but Sefo was having a great year before he got hurt.

I don't really get how you can say that, Sefo was doing great this year and hadn't thrown a pic. Montez is a big arm so obviously he is a fan favorite but Sefo was having a great year before he got hurt.

I just think that Tez hits the WRs in the hands a few more times than Sefo does. He executes quickly. Agree that Sefo was doing well.

No problem with this. Let's just win the game. Montez starts against USC. No problem with the short leashes.
It's a really terrible idea. We have two confident, productive qbs, and you want them to be looking over their shoulder on every series and afraid to make a mistake?

I thought a lot about this today.
Thinking of how Sefo performed against Michigan tells me he should be the starter if he's 100% healthy.

Montez is a beast, but Sefo will get it done.

I've never been a big Sefo fan but if he is healthy he gets the start for sure. I'd rather Montez get the start but Sefo is the best prepared QB for now and is key leadership we need and he brings. My only Sefo concern is he gets hurt, and waives off the coaches putting Montez in, and the coaches let him call the shots like it appears has been done in the past.

My only Sefo concern is he gets hurt, and waives off the coaches putting Montez in, and the coaches let him call the shots like it appears has been done in the past.
In the past we haven't had a viable alternative. The drop off has been clear when he was out.
If he's healthy he starts. That's a big if. He hasn't been healthy for an extended period for two seasons. So Glad Montez is here!

Back