What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo Liufau v Steven Montez

Starting QB when Sefo is back

• Total voters
Maybe just make it situational. Start Liufau, as I think they should, with a wide open field and playbook. Then in goal line/15 yards in situations, bring in Montez; send D-coordinators scrambling.
Not that I would ever want to make comparisons or emulate Florida, but they did this superbly in 06 with Leek and Tebow. THEN...once Leek graduated, Tebow went on to his successful career.

We have 2 good QBs playing in one of the most QB-friendly systems in the nation and with one of the best WR groups in the nation. Plus, our OL has been providing great protection along with a solid running game.

What I'm getting it is that the QB question isn't a big concern for me.

At USC with Pendergast drawing up a lot of schematic creativity with those athletes, I'd prefer to have the veteran who will be able to recognize and audible. I also think that more of the playbook is known cold by Sefo than by Montez.

Long-term, I think Montez can be a better QB than Sefo because he's a little bigger, has a bigger arm and is quite a bit faster. But right now I believe that a healthy Sefo is a better QB than Montez. A lot closer than I thought, though, and this is a bowl team with either guy behind center.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^

If Sefo is healthy, he should play. The luxury of having a backup look as good as Steven has the last two weeks is now we can sit Liufau until he's 100% healthy.

2.5 games, 54/76, 768 yards, 6 TD's 0 Int's
2.5 games, 48/76 743, 8 TD's 2 Int's

It is crazy how closely the two have performed.

No news in here but decent little quotes here and there. CUBuffs
From that article, from the AD's mouthpiece, I get the feeling that if 100% they are going to go with Sefo.

All of you that think Montez should start over Lufiau are still high on the Oregon win. Let this sink in..Oregon SUCKS this year. The only real defense Montez has faced was Michigan's ..he couldn't even convert a 1st down in an entire HALF. Sefo had 250 yards passing and 3 TDs in a half against Michigan. Sefo destroyed a mediocre CSU team and had CU up 42-0 in the 2nd qtr over Idaho st. Montez only generated another 14 points the rest of the game. Sefo reads defenses better and gets rid of the ball quicker.
For those of you that bring up past seasons..this is an entirely new and different offense. The system has made Lufiau a completely different and much better qb. Its also making Montez better. Sefo is clearly the better option this season. Montez is the future.

All of you that think Montez should start over Lufiau are still high on the Oregon win. Let this sink in..Oregon SUCKS this year. The only real defense Montez has faced was Michigan's ..he couldn't even convert a 1st down in an entire HALF. Sefo had 250 yards passing and 3 TDs in a half against Michigan. Sefo destroyed a mediocre CSU team and had CU up 42-0 in the 2nd qtr over Idaho st. Montez only generated another 14 points the rest of the game. Sefo reads defenses better and gets rid of the ball quicker.
For those of you that bring up past seasons..this is an entirely new and different offense. The system has made Lufiau a completely different and much better qb. Its also making Montez better. Sefo is clearly the better option this season. Montez is the future.
Way to bring it! I like the new guy.

Entrance with fire!

I am in full agreement that Sefo will start, but I would just like to say that there has been an obvious jump for Montez once he started getting the staters reps in practice. It helps that the rest of the offense now trusts him as well.

Anyway, welcome to the board nice way to announce yourself

Easy there, tiger.

While you're absolutely right about the concerns about starting Sefo stem from previous years and aren't based in fact from this year, I think you're selling Montez short.

He went into a bad situation in Ann Arbor, and members of the offense even admitted that they let up when Sefo went down. If Frazier doesn't drop a well thrown TD pass in the 3rd quarter, Montez's confidence and the offense's confidence in him will have gone the other way, and his performance may have been different.

Also, whether Oregon sucks or not, Autzen is a tough place to play and to make your first collegiate start, and he was fantastic.

I personally want to see Sefo start the rest of the season, but if Montez has to play, I'm a lot more confident than you seem to be.

My son insists that Montez throws off his back foot way too often and that will lead to picks. When I watch him, on his touch passes, he does kind of start his throw off his back foot and doesn't really follow through to his front foot much. Kind of all arm, I guess. But when he throws sideline routes or when he really needs to fire it over the middle, he steps through and just has a rocket. He made some throws last week that were frigging lasers.

My son insists that Montez throws off his back foot way too often and that will lead to picks. When I watch him, on his touch passes, he does kind of start his throw off his back foot and doesn't really follow through to his front foot much. Kind of all arm, I guess. But when he throws sideline routes or when he really needs to fire it over the middle, he steps through and just has a rocket. He made some throws last week that were frigging lasers.
he does throw off his back foot a lot. He's just got such a cannon it doesn't matter, usually.

Kind of similar to what Cam Newton does from the pocket. I AM NOT SAYING THEY ARE SIMILAR PLAYERS TO ANYONE ON THIS BOARD SO DON'T FREAK OUT.

Kind of similar to what Cam Newton does from the pocket. I AM NOT SAYING THEY ARE SIMILAR PLAYERS TO ANYONE ON THIS BOARD SO DON'T FREAK OUT.

They are very similar players. I'm not sure that Cam was any better than Montez is right now when Cam was 2 years removed from high school. The question is on how much upside Montez has. There's a huge gap between where he is now (which is good) and being one of the best 5 QBs on the planet.

They are very similar players. I'm not sure that Cam was any better than Montez is right now when Cam was 2 years removed from high school. The question is on how much upside Montez has. There's a huge gap between where he is now (which is good) and being one of the best 5 QBs on the planet.

I don't really know what Cam looked like when he was 19 or 20, but Montez is going to need to put on a ****-ton of muscle to get into that territory.

I don't really know what Cam looked like when he was 19 or 20, but Montez is going to need to put on a ****-ton of muscle to get into that territory.
He's actually lost weight since his frosh year. In a preseason interview he said they asked him to lose 10 pounds cause he was moving too slow. He will probably never be 250 like Cam.

I didn't have time to read through this entire thread, but I did go back and watch highlights of the two. Stats are obviously very similar between the two, but Sefo has a clear edge in two areas IMO that are very important. 1) Sefo throws a much better deep ball, it is on time and in stride. Montez is slightly off often times (either under throwing where the WR needs to hold up, or over throwing where the WR needs to make a more spectacular grab)....which we cannot afford when playing a team with superior athletes. 2) Montez is obviously more athletic, but Sefo has a much better pocket awareness. Both of these things I fully expect SM to improve upon with experience, but IMO, you HAVE to go with Sefo no matter what for these reasons (among the many others that I am sure are listed in this thread)

I can see some similarities in their passing games, but Cam is a much better runner.

I've noticed that on occasion Montez is at the line, pre snap, and there is an obvious blitz being set up and he, for some reason, doesn't seem to pick it up. I think Sefo is much better at that. One thing I've noticed about Montez that he does better than Sefo did at the same stage is go through progressions. Montez seems to do a good job of checking off receivers.

Back