What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo Liufau

Yeah, I think it was played brilliantly. Wood looked awesome until the pressure of PAC12 play hit and the pockets started to crumble.
Sefo meanwhile had time to learn the system and build some confidence.

Sort of reminds me of Bobby Pesavento. Just finds a way to get the ball to the open guy, without a lot of glamour.

You gotta love Sefo's poise, both on the field and in the press room...kid's wise beyond his years. I think he has the potential to be something special, maybe not in stats but as a leader of the team. Hope he stays on his current trajectory.

I'm pretty blown away that we have a true freshman QB calling out players for not practicing 100%, who then backs it up with a career game in difficult conditions (and the team responds with it's best game of the season). I think we have a very special player in Sefo.

I'm pretty blown away that we have a true freshman calling out players for not practicing 100%, and then backs it up with a career game in difficult conditions (and the team responds with it's best game of the season). I think we have a very special player in Sefo.

How true. Unless MM somehow recruits another Frosh QB that is better, we'll get to see Sef for a few more years.

I wasn't a believe in Sefo until yesterday. He still has a lot of work, but his poise and leadership are outstanding when you consider that he's probably only 18 or 19. We've lacked solid leadership at the QB position for a long time.

I don't think we will be seeing leapfrog on the sidelines anytime soon.

Kid is legit. No question. I can't think of a single mistake he made yesterday. Maybe one toss into double coverage... naw Spruce should have caught that. :lol:

His INT came after his arm was hit. PRich was open on the play.

It's exciting to see his growth from game to game. He's really getting better. I know it's a pipe dream, but I really hope PRich stays one more year. That would really help with Sefo's growth.

One of the things I noticed since Sefo took over is how much better the O-line seems to be. Sefo stays in or steps up into the pocket with pressure as opposed to quickly bailing out and running. I think this has led to quicker, better plays that kept down the sacks and keeps the line more fresh for the next play.

While the line is probably just getting better too, I think the Sefo factor is significant.

His progress will be complete when he actually keeps the ball on the run option. If I were an opposing defensive coordinator, I wouldn't bother to defend the QB run with him.

Poise. Kid's got it, and it's something you can't teach. Already a great game manager. And very accurate when given the time (2 deep balls excluded yesterday.) He's gonna win a lot more games for us than he loses. Haven't been able to say that for awhile.

Miles ahead better than Conner Wood.

Like his poise, decision making. He actually throws the ball away when there is nothing there.

But still has a lot to work on like footwork.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I think you try way too hard to be smarter than everyone else

What else can you say about Sefo right now?

He's good, but how good is the question. Is he a top three PAC-12 QB in a couple years or is he more in the top 6-7? Either one is a big step up from anything we have seen over the last decade, but there is a difference between being on the level of Brett Hundley (3rd) and being on the level of Kevin Hogan (7th).

A couple of his most impressive throws were incompletes. One the corner faked to drop back then jumped the pass to the WR. Sefo was already in his motion but just put it over everybody instead of risking the pick 6. Another I remember the safety made a late jump on the ball, Sefo threw it where nobody could get it.

ESPN PAC12 QBR - Season Leaders

RK PLAYER ADJ QBR. RAW QBR
1 Marcus Mariota 93.0 89.4
2 Brett Hundley 80.1 75.3
3 Taylor Kelly 77.8 65.2
4 Kevin Hogan 76.4 66.5
5 Sean Mannion 74.8 69.3
6 Keith Price 72.5 66.9
7 Sefo Liufau 72.3 65.4 ranked 36 in Conf./Div. NCAA-D1
8 B.J. Denker 71.2 65.0
9 Travis Wilson 66.7 49.3
10 Cody Kessler 62.8 54.2
11 Connor Halliday 59.4 48.5
12 Jared Goff 55.7 47.0
13 Connor Wood 36.8 44.9

RAW QBR: Raw Total Quarterback Rating, which values quarterback on all play types on a 0-100 scale.
ADJ QBR: Adjusted Total Quarterback Rating, which values the quarterback on all play types on a 0-100 scale adjusted for the strength of opposing defenses faced (available beginning in October of each season).

* Season Leaders: Having at least 20 action plays per game team has played.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/qbr

His progress will be complete when he actually keeps the ball on the run option. If I were an opposing defensive coordinator, I wouldn't bother to defend the QB run with him.

Needs to improve his ball handling and learn to sell fakes. On the zone read, when he puts it in the RB gut, it doesn't look like he will pull it out. When he does pull it out, it never looks like he was going to give it up.

Thus the DE sucks in a bit to play the RB, but then gets an early read that Sefo is keeping it and then it looks like Sefo is slow. It's more that he's giving it away.

What else can you say about Sefo right now?

He's good, but how good is the question. Is he a top three PAC-12 QB in a couple years or is he more in the top 6-7? Either one is a big step up from anything we have seen over the last decade, but there is a difference between being on the level of Brett Hundley (3rd) and being on the level of Kevin Hogan (7th).
I'm more concerned with who he throws to and who blocks for him. He is pretty damned good.

I'm just happy we're getting actual production out of a HS QB recruit. It's been since the 07 class and Hansen

ESPN PAC12 QBR - Season Leaders

RK PLAYER ADJ QBR. RAW QBR
1 Marcus Mariota 93.0 89.4
2 Brett Hundley 80.1 75.3
3 Taylor Kelly 77.8 65.2
4 Kevin Hogan 76.4 66.5
5 Sean Mannion 74.8 69.3
6 Keith Price 72.5 66.9
7 Sefo Liufau 72.3 65.4 ranked 36 in Conf./Div. NCAA-D1
8 B.J. Denker 71.2 65.0
9 Travis Wilson 66.7 49.3
10 Cody Kessler 62.8 54.2
11 Connor Halliday 59.4 48.5
12 Jared Goff 55.7 47.0
13 Connor Wood 36.8 44.9

RAW QBR: Raw Total Quarterback Rating, which values quarterback on all play types on a 0-100 scale.
ADJ QBR: Adjusted Total Quarterback Rating, which values the quarterback on all play types on a 0-100 scale adjusted for the strength of opposing defenses faced (available beginning in October of each season).
* Season Leaders: Having at least 20 action plays per game team has played.
http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/qbr
Factor in that Sefo's stats are all in conference play with no non-conference patsies and he jumps in to the top quarter, statistically speaking.

Charlston Southern is in Sefo's stats, but it's still a valid point.

I just rewatched the Cal game last night and came away very impressed with ALL of the non-measurable types of things Sefo possesses. He is calm, stays in the pocket under pressure and doesn't get fazed. All things that were Connor's undoing. His accuracy in that wind was impressive. Much better than Goff or Klein, both who have bigger arms.

We sure run a lot of zone read though. I am more convinced than ever that the ball faking is what isn't there and if he could really learn to ride that ball in the RBs tummy and read the DE, he is quick enough to punish the defense. Goff did it to us several times.

Charlston Southern is in Sefo's stats, but it's still a valid point.

I just rewatched the Cal game last night and came away very impressed with ALL of the non-measurable types of things Sefo possesses. He is calm, stays in the pocket under pressure and doesn't get fazed. All things that were Connor's undoing. His accuracy in that wind was impressive. Much better than Goff or Klein, both who have bigger arms.

We sure run a lot of zone read though. I am more convinced than ever that the ball faking is what isn't there and if he could really learn to ride that ball in the RBs tummy and read the DE, he is quick enough to punish the defense. Goff did it to us several times.
Oops. How quickly I forgot our "out of order" schedule this year.

Sefo is a true competitor and an intelligent QB. I have been extremely impressed with the poise he has shown and his determination to win.

Strengths- Accuracy, decision making, mental and physical toughness, quick release, and leadership.

Areas to improve- Deep ball and knowing when to scramble ( opportunities have been there to pick up some yards)

Having said this, I am thoroughly impressed with this true freshman, and look forward to the future with Sefo and Adkins leading the way.

He is a true freshman QB. THAT is impressive in itself. He displays poise beyond that of a true freshman. Honestly, I don't know that we even see Liufau this year if Wood had been able to display similar poise in the pocket. The last freshman I recall having similar poise might have been Koy, and that was quite a long time ago.

Sefo won the Las Vegas Bowl Pac-12 Player of the Week award for his game against Cal.

Congrats Sefo!
That's impressive as a true frosh on a not so great team. If he's made this much progress after 4-5 games, can't wait to see him in the games and years to come!

The New Throwin' Samoan!

Back