What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo should get back ASAP

Dark Bohner

Cooler than a Popsicle Stand.
Club Member
I have to admit that I have a little concern on a possible QB controversy. Montez literally rewrote the history books in his first start in a very hostile scenario. I still think Sefo deserves to be the starter based on his previous performances this year and also his unquestionable commitment to this team and Senior experience.

However, if Montez starts again this week and has another stellar game where he is obviously a difference maker, how do you keep him out going forward? Or if Sefo is really struggling in a game, is the leash a lot shorter now?

I'm not crazy about the idea of revolving QB's because each player needs to feel confident in his position on the team and the field and not be concerned about looking over his shoulder. Plus I think changing QBs just for the sake of reps can screw with momentum.

Always looking for the dark clouds...

I have to admit that I have a little concern on a possible QB controversy. Montez literally rewrote the history books in his first start in a very hostile scenario. I still think Sefo deserves to be the starter based on his previous performances this year and also his unquestionable commitment to this team and Senior experience.

However, if Montez starts again this week and has another stellar game where he is obviously a difference maker, how do you keep him out going forward? Or if Sefo is really struggling in a game, is the leash a lot shorter now?

I'm not crazy about the idea of revolving QB's because each player needs to feel confident in his position on the team and the field and not be concerned about looking over his shoulder. Plus I think changing QBs just for the sake of reps can screw with momentum.

Worried about nothing. This is Sefo's team and everyone knows it. If he puts together a string of horrible starts, then maybe. Maybe we have a controversy, but not until then.

My only worry regarding Sefo is if he doesn't play this week but is healthy to play against USC....does he show just a tad bit of rust from not playing the previous 2 weeks and Montez performs well against OSU and is just getting warmed up? I guess it's good to have tough decisions like this. Just a thought.

This is clearly something the coaches must manage going forward, as soon as Sefo is deemed 100%. Personally, I think it's Sefo's job as soon as he's 100%, no matter what. He is the unquestioned team leader and he was playing lights out before his injury. I think he gets his job back, but I don't think the coaches would hesitate to pull him if he's ineffective, or shows even a slight injury.

VY1OnHI.gif

Only way I see a concern building is if Montez goes out and puts up a stat line like 5TD's, 0Int's, and 450yds.
boy what a great concern to have?
Sefo's team and at 100% he starts. Let Montez come in a few series occasionally to see what he has (hot hand?) and keep the rust knocked off. If Sefo does struggle you have to roll with Montez. This is BIG boy football, and I love Sefo (one of my favorite all time Buffs) but, if you get out played/beat out? then you go with that guy. This is about winning. Maybe the oregon game was not a fluke? If Montez can truly manage games consistently like that how can you not?

Sefo starts.

Montez gets a drive or 2 a game
That's what I want. keep his feet wet.

That said, Sefo has graded out better in the passing game by a large margin so far.

Only ways we get a QB controversy is if HCMM really mismanages it, if Montez goes HAM on OSU USC or even more teams as Sefo's injury lingers, or if Sefo really struggles.

None seem likely.

It's Sefo's team. Keep the leash a bit tighter, perhaps. If they wanna play Montezuma on a few packages here and there, ok. Sefo has earned it imho.

We can't handle good fortune. We are so conditioned to failure that we are now finding problems where only solutions previously existed.

I actually remember the same kind of stuff happening with the basketball team. Lots of searching for ways the team would screw up a good thing.

Not going there. ThIs team is good. The coaches have their act together. The players know their roles and are playing at a high level.

If Sefo or Montez were different kinds of guys I would worry.

Everything I have seen says that they are both team first guys who know how to check their egos. Montez knows that he is going to get his chance, he also knows that Sefo is the team leader and has earned his opportunity this year. Sefo knows that when Montez plays it isn't about trying to take something that is his.

What is now a big difference is that Sefo and the team know that he doesn't have to play for them to have a chance to win. He can concentrate on getting healthy instead of trying to play before he is ready.

I was of this opinion before any of the injury / Oregon game / etc. Sefo starts, Montez should get 2-3 series a game. MM gets to earn his 2 million if it's a very tight game and he has to change this, but in any game that we can, they should both play.

Sefo starts. Period.

We can't handle good fortune. We are so conditioned to failure that we are now finding problems where only solutions previously existed.

I actually remember the same kind of stuff happening with the basketball team. Lots of searching for ways the team would screw up a good thing.

Not going there. ThIs team is good. The coaches have their act together. The players know their roles and are playing at a high level.
I remember the old days when we could not have nice things. It's great having 2 nice things.

I assume Montez is the starter against OSU? If Montez lights up the Beavers I say you stick with him as your starter for USC.

It's like the Michigan game never happened... As great as Montez was last weekend, my gut feeling is that game is not close if Sefo plays. The Montez pick when the score was 33-17 was the difference between a game we barely eked out and a two to three touchdown victory. To be clear, Montez was exceptional and I'm thrilled to have him, but this team is better with Sefo.

Sefo is playing better that Montez (0 INTs). He's the heart of the team. He's a 3rd yr captain. No controversy unless his play lags, but that'd be the case regardless. Glad we have a stud backup...I feel set at QB for 3 more years. Lindgren has done a good job >gasp<

alabama has no quarterbacks and we have 2 guys who both have, on the field, proved that they can be all-conference guys. and, sefo is a senior so it isn't like either one is in position to transfer if they don't start. these, my friends, are high-class problems to have.

Back