What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo yesterday and the future

Well, we finished the year at 4-8. Sefo got two of those wins, Wood got the other two. Would we be better off redshirting Sefo? What difference did he make this year? What kind of difference will the experience he got this year make for him next year?

Clearly, had we managed to pull out six wins, pulling his shirt was going to be the best idea. Maybe the fact that he shows some promise will help recruiting whereas keeping the redshirt would not have had the same effect.

Exactly, he's a freshman so he hasn't developed much yet. Will he? Who knows, but it's hard to be convinced that he definitely will become a top QB in this conference based on a little over half a season.

Next year I don't expect him to be a top 3-4 QB, I do think he can accomplish that when he's an upperclassmen, which is what I believe most of the PAC 12 QBs are. We will absolutely need to get some playmakers for that to happen, but I think we will and hell, maybe a few guys like Dunston, JT (if he sticks around), and Lee (assuming we get him obviously) provide some big play threats for us down the line.

I think next year he'll hover around 6 or 7 in the PAC 12.

Well, we finished the year at 4-8. Sefo got two of those wins, Wood got the other two. Would we be better off redshirting Sefo? What difference did he make this year? What kind of difference will the experience he got this year make for him next year?

Clearly, had we managed to pull out six wins, pulling his shirt was going to be the best idea. Maybe the fact that he shows some promise will help recruiting whereas keeping the redshirt would not have had the same effect.

Wood was getting worse every week though and his pocket presence went down every game, I think we had to put Sefo in...especially how he started the ASsU game and just got worse in that game.

I think Sefo can be a decent PAC 12 QB, but I'm not convinced he can be a top 3-4 QB in this league. He really had a rough day yesterday but I admire his toughness after taking a pretty good pounding most of the day.

I'm not sure leadership and heart have been what this team has been missing from the QB position over the years - Cody and Hansen both had heart and were good leaders. What we've been missing is talent, vision, athleticism, and accuracy. Does Sefo have all those things too besides just being a good leader? I hope so, but still hope we're recruiting the position hard.

Bingo. To dig out from the depths CU is in, we need to 'hit' on a special qb at some point this decade. We don't have the position-by-position talent to drag ourselves up by lighting teams up through the air, let alone protect the qb longer than 2 seconds (Nembot ehhem). Therefore, we gotta find a running qb... imo.

Glad we've deemed Sefo unworthy of bringing this team out after half a season of his true freshman season. Also glad we can't expect the OL to improve.

Glad we've deemed Sefo unworthy of bringing this team out after half a season of his true freshman season. Also glad we can't expect the OL to improve.

You are taking this too personally. Most of the thread is positive.

Everyone should watch this to get a clear picture of what kind of young man Sefo is.

[video=youtube;K1reqFdoqk0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1reqFdoqk0[/video]

P.S. Look at the way he moves in that senior film and decide for yourself whether there's truth to the whispers of him playing with a tweaked wheel this year.

Everyone should watch this to get a clear picture of what kind of young man Sefo is.

P.S. Look at the way he moves in that senior film and decide for yourself whether there's truth to the whispers of him playing with a tweaked wheel this year.
certainly seems to have had a much better first step. who knows though.

If he doesn't have the line to protect him he'll have to medically retire before we get to see those junior and senior seasons. Recruit, coach them up, and get them to do their job! A poised Sefo is going to be a good one, otherwise I fear more of the same from the offense next year and a defense which will once again keep the game close for 2+ quarters before getting exhausted from a lack of help on the other side of the ball.

For me anyway, it was the right call. First as Tini said, Wood was regressing and it would have been hard to continue to get buy-in to the coaches and schemes if we could not move the ball and were going to get blown out more than we already did in most games.

Secondly, while we only won 2 games under Sefo, we were competitive in several and in my opinion not only did he establish himself as a leader, he also gave the team and us hope for the future. Those starts and game film for Sefo are invaluable in his development and should lead to much improved performance in key areas by the time CSU comes around in the Fall.

Love the video as he shows his personality and his roots, very unusual and cool thing. He certainly does run a lot in the video but doesn't really look like he has major wheels there. I think this year it may have been more being hesitant to run, maybe not having the confidence he can do it at this level and wanting to be seen as a QB first.

But what he clearly has that he did show this year is elusiveness and pocket presence. Pretty impressive how frequently he is able to avoid the sack and get positive yards with his feet or his arm. With our OL problems that is going to be his and our saving grace.

He showed incredible toughness

If he doesn't have the line to protect him he'll have to medically retire before we get to see those junior and senior seasons. Recruit, coach them up, and get them to do their job! A poised Sefo is going to be a good one, otherwise I fear more of the same from the offense next year and a defense which will once again keep the game close for 2+ quarters before getting exhausted from a lack of help on the other side of the ball.

We lost three senior line men. That line was bad. Priority number one for this team needs to be line recruiting. Priority 1B needs to be having every line men in the weight room 2 hours a day six days a week and strict diet control. I think we have the right strength guy to get them there.

The fact that Sefo come through that game after getting driven into the ground over a dozen times tells all you need to know about him. He didn't choke. He hit open men when he had 3 seconds.

Was it just me or was he grimacing the entire game on Saturday? Even before he started taking the big hits

Was it just me or was he grimacing the entire game on Saturday? Even before he started taking the big hits
yes. dude is beat to hell. He was never very spry this season, but he looked like he was moving in quicksand on a few drop backs. Oldest looking frosh I've ever seen.

Still not sure how he got that 35 yard catch and run.

Also fwiw Neuheisal seems very high on Sefo, whatever that means.

Punk kids like you, forget that Neweasel was a damned good QB coach in Boulder, who turned Kordell Stewart into an all-around beast at the position. Prior to Newh, Kordell just relied on natural talent to do what he did.

Ya know, they actually played college football, BEFORE you matriculated!

Punk kids like you, forget that Neweasel was a damned good QB coach in Boulder, who turned Kordell Stewart into an all-around beast at the position. Prior to Newh, Kordell just relied on natural talent to do what he did.

Ya know, they actually played college football, BEFORE you matriculated!

:wtf:

Just got to watch this video. He is one special kid and will be a bright spot for CU for the next 3 years. Natural leader and exactly what the Buffs will be needing more of in the next several classes to get better.

From all accounts, Sefo is a special young man. I like that he is improving, even with a terrible first half against Utah. I was hoping he'd be able to run better, but he will lead this team back to relevance!

Sefo is the man! He is a going to be huge for this program no doubt. Tough outing Saturday but that is what happens to freshmen. Great leader, composed, great competitor. HCMM will be able to build a team around him no doubt. Go get some OL!

Back