What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Self says issues with Henrys 'resolved'

Sexton Hardcastle

Club Member
Club Member
Self says issues with Henrys 'resolved'

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Kansas coach Bill Self's fence-mending trip worked: Xavier and C.J. Henry are still coming to Lawrence to play for the Jayhawks.

A day after traveling to Oklahoma City for an air-clearing meeting with two of his prized recruits, Self said Wednesday that Xavier and C.J. will play for Kansas next season.

"It's resolved, at least from everybody's perspective who's involved in the process," Self said.

The tension started this week, following a story about the Henry family in The Kansas City Star.

Carl Henry, the brothers' father and a former KU player, told a Kansas City radio station he was concerned the story portrayed Xavier and C.J. as selfish and uninterested in attending college classes. He said the story, while factually accurate, made his sons look like prima donnas.

The story and Carl's comments created an Internet buzz and speculation that the brothers might bolt Kansas for Kentucky. Self headed off the flap before it could build any further.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/07/01/henrys.kansas.ap/index.html

maybe it's sour grapes since they are Oklahoma kids and are leaving state for KU, but reading both OSU and OU boards sounds like the story was fairly accurate....Carl seems like a very meddling father and a real piece of work and the two kids are prima donnas based on reports from posters who have followed the Henrys through high school and even Carl as a player way back when.

He admitted that the story was factually accurate, so i guess what dear old dad is saying is that his sons are selfish prima donnas who are uninterested in attending college classes... but it's just not nice if you say something about it. This is a great development for Colorado. These are the kind of players that cause programs to dramatically underperform.

one of the articles about this i read at the OSU rivals board (i think) had a quote from Carl Henry that suggesting that Sherron Collins "might" start over CJ based on "reputation" or preferential treatment from Self.

shipping that crew off to Calipari might not have been the worst thing for Self in the long run. we'll see how the short term success vs. long-term program stability goes. hard to imagine KU being outside the top 10 for the next half-decade with the recent NC under their belt. if the Henry's were gone, they just sign two more McD's.

I think we may be watching KU change their philosophy right before our very eyes. Before, even though they got Mickey D's AA every year, they still turned out to be "team first" players. The Henry brothers sound like the first group of "me first" players that we've seen at KU in awhile - it will be interesting to see how the project works out. Either their team philosophy self-destructs or Self will work his magic on them. It'll be interesting to see if KU turns into a 1 & done program for some of their recent recruits - esp. if this year ends up bringing them another title.

This could open the door to other Big 12 programs such as OU and Te*a$ to take control of the Big 12.

one and done is going to be something that all coaches need plan for, with there no foreseeable end to the 1-year removed from HS rule. Even Coach K went hard after an obvious "me-first", one-and-done player this last cycle (John Wall), only to lose him to Calipari. Most of your top players are one-and-done players, and since talent matters so much in college, coaches need to be willing to take on one of these players every now and then if they want to win the national championship. KU definitely has a shot at winning it this year, but I doubt that Self will start to go after Henry-type players exclusively. You build around top-notch recruits that will stay two-three years, and get those Carmelo's, Wilcox's, Williams', Love's, Rose's, etc. that will get you over the hump.

The NBA needs to change it's rule to allow HS kids into the draft or if they go to college, stay at LEAST two years (perhaps three). This argument, along with a football playoff, is so prevalent that I'm befuddled as to why they aren't implemented. Money, at least to me, seems like it would even out in the end as long profit sharing is implemented.

Back