What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Semi Ojeleye

jcatcher

Club Member
Club Member
I didn't want to put this in the recruiting forum as it is pure speculation on my part and we didn't recruit him the first time around, but...

Pros: He's from Kansas so location is not an issue.
He is a scorer, which we desperately need. All-time leading scorer in Kansas HS history, which is no small achievement.
While he was recruited by all the Blue Blood programs, he may be gun shy about trying another one after failing to crack the rotation at Duke. He needs to go somewhere where he can get immediate PT and still be on the NBA scouts radar. CU fits. I suspect Arizona and Kansas will pass, but Oregon and Indiana won't. UCLA either. I suspect Marquette will be in with both feet as Steve Wojowhatever was an assistant at Duke and he needs bodies.
He has two years of eligibility remaining, maybe two and a half - I'm not entirely sure if he's burned year two or not.

Cons: Do we have room for another small forward?
Would we just be adding more baggage to an already underperforming class?
Despite the NBA-ready body, he is a quiet player and very religious, not rah-rah at all. We have a roster full of those guys already. (Quiet guys, I have no idea about religion).

It seems like it could be a good fit for him with his NBA aspirations and CU putting Burks and Dre in the league in the last few years.

Just thought I'd throw it out there for discussion.

Absolutely. If you can get a guy with that talent level into the program you absolutely do so.

He has played this season, so if he transferred mid-year he would sit out the rest of this season and the non-conference portion of next season. Then, he'd have 2 1/2 years to play.

There will be a lot of competition for him, I would think. We're talking about a 5* / Top 25 prospect here.

I didn't want to put this in the recruiting forum as it is pure speculation on my part and we didn't recruit him the first time around, but...

Pros: He's from Kansas so location is not an issue.
He is a scorer, which we desperately need. All-time leading scorer in Kansas HS history, which is no small achievement.
While he was recruited by all the Blue Blood programs, he may be gun shy about trying another one after failing to crack the rotation at Duke. He needs to go somewhere where he can get immediate PT and still be on the NBA scouts radar. CU fits. I suspect Arizona and Kansas will pass, but Oregon and Indiana won't. UCLA either. I suspect Marquette will be in with both feet as Steve Wojowhatever was an assistant at Duke and he needs bodies.
He has two years of eligibility remaining, maybe two and a half - I'm not entirely sure if he's burned year two or not.

Cons: Do we have room for another small forward?
Would we just be adding more baggage to an already underperforming class?
Despite the NBA-ready body, he is a quiet player and very religious, not rah-rah at all. We have a roster full of those guys already. (Quiet guys, I have no idea about religion).

It seems like it could be a good fit for him with his NBA aspirations and CU putting Burks and Dre in the league in the last few years.

Just thought I'd throw it out there for discussion.

First, like you said Semi did not have CU on the radar when he was in HS, so it is highly unlikely that CU will be in the conversation for his transfer. He is an excellent student, so Stanford (Dawkins, former Duke great, is HC) is a possibility in my mind. He seems to be leaving primarily due to not playing.

Semi is a gifted athlete, but he is not a pure perimeter player. I think you'd be surprised at how thick he is...he is more in the mold of a 3/4, than 2/3. He is also not a program changer. I hate to see Duke lose him, but it's not like he was going to be a major contributor for Duke until maybe next year, when he could have been a key backup. I think he's like a Dustin Thomas, but more talented in every category. I'd take him if being close to his KS hometown is important.

Lastly, he was a 5 star by some services, and even I think Parade's HS player of the year (beat out I think even Parker and Wiggins, but his classwork probably helped him on that honor). He is not some crazy athlete or talent that will make everyone feel that they are watching the epitome of a 5 star player. If CU were to go after him and land him - awesome. But temper your expectations if somehow that were to unexpectedly occur.

Back