1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Senior bowl day 2 practice, Solder and Brown

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Tractor, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Tractor

Tractor Club Member Club Member

Just finished watching the senior bowl practice. For a long time, I thought the north team was just Jake Locker.

Solder was playing both right and left tackle. I thought he fared really well in the 1 on 1 battles. Stood people up. He may have held on a spin move or two, but I thought he played well. Some of those O-line guys got blown up, not him.
    When they were running actual plays, he did a great job in pass protection. Always stopped his guy or took him out of the play. On running plays, he got to the second level ok. They ran a screen to his side once, and he didn't really do anything. Just sort of ran around. All in all pretty good.

Jalil Brown was doing some 1 on 1 drills and Mike Mayok gave him kudos for staying patient with the backpedal and jumping a 3 step drop route. He seemed to do ok in press coverage too, although he never really jammed anybody, he was in their pocket and didn't give the QB much to throw to.
    They had him running gunner for punt teams as well as blocking. Couldn't really tell how he did. In the scrimmage, I was watching Solder more, but I did see him get beat on a sideline route when the WR came back to help his QB. The QB had the ball for a long time, and the announcers said Jalil was covering well for most of the play.
    He also got some kudos from the guys at the end of the practice for having a good day. Talked about how he was the better college player than Jimmy Smith, even though Smith has better measurables and is a higher projected pick (5th best senior CB).

Jimmy Smith didn't play. Is he hurt?

Darth Snow and (deleted member) like this.
  2. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Ya any idea on why Jimmy decided not to participate in the Senior Bowl?

3. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

From the ESPN Pac 12 blog, Solder mentioned:

It appears that California defensive end Cameron Jordan is on his way to the first round of the NFL draft.

Jordan was one of the stars of the first day of Senior Bowl practices, earning "top performer" honors from ESPN.com's Steve Muench, who wrote:
    No one was able to move Jordan today. Even Nate Solder, who dominated everyone, had a tough time with Jordan in run periods. Jordan did an excellent job of staying low coming out of his stance and jacked up Solder, effectively taking away his power base and gaining control in the battle. We wouldn't say he has violent hands, but he has a strong upper body and gets good hand placement so he can control guys. That's what you look for in a five-technique guy. He slid in to play DT, where he looked a little quicker, and he is certainly big and strong enough to play that position at the next level. We'd like to see him battle some of the top offensive linemen some more this week, but he's off to a strong start and is the top five-technique guy here and probably the best one in this class.

4. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Solder doesn't seem too good against Cal guys.

5. Tractor

I've never really thought Solder was that great at run blocking. Maybe it was because we never ran, but even when we did, it was away from him. I'm hoping he gets picked up by a passing team (Cincy, Ariz) early. That way he'll earn a lot of money and showcase his skills well. I really think he fits into more what New England does, but don't want to see him fall that far.

6. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Solder would prolly do well at Indy

7. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

I think I read somewhere (thought it was on here) that he had surgery and is waiting for the combine to do draft stuff.

8. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

Bad, bad memories of that one. *shudder*

9. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report!

10. BuffNut99

Huge kudos for Solder from Todd McShay:

11. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Way to go Big Nate!

12. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Wow, this entire paragraph is great to read:

... On the other side of the ball, Solder continues to be dominant. The thing that's impressed me is how strong he's been at the point of attack and finishing. We knew about his size and natural feet, and he's been all those things, but he's been nasty this week and it's been good to see. ...

13. BuffNut99

Solder = Top 10 pick?

14. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Tractor. You watched the Senior Bowl practice?

Its time for me to turn in my "Football Fan" certificate.

15. Tractor

Haha, no I just happened to see it coming up. Don't worry, I don't give two craps about the "south" team practice

16. BeachBronco

BeachBronco Active Member

Are you there in person?

17. Tractor

Negative. Watched on the NFL network. Shift work does have it's advantages.

18. BeachBronco

BeachBronco Active Member

Ahh ok, I was going to tell you to enjoy our hospitality and if you had any questions on what to do or where to go then ask...lol

19. cutaekwondo

cutaekwondo Member

I've been watching the practices and Mayock has been very impressed with and talking up both Solder and Brown. At one point Mayock was talking about what tractor had posted in the first post about how patient Jalil is and how he comes out of his breaks and said that you can tell that he was very well coached. He was also talking about Brown being a great matchup against the WR's and it was refreshing to watch. Both players are making a statement and my ears were dancing everytime they talked about Solder from Colorado and Brown from Colorado. It was great to hear Colorado being talked up like that. Just think if J. Smith was there!!!

20. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

So let me get this straight. We have the best tackle in the country and two of the better corners and we still are completely awful. I guess I should be happy that at least Colorado is finally getting some exposure in the draft again, and it's not because we have the best kicker in the country.

21. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

[​IMG]
    :thumbsup:

22. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

:wow: Very nice, considering Peterson and Amukamara have both been projected to go in the top 10...

23. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

Todd McShay is a doooshenozzle.

24. sweaty teets

true. however, i talked with jimmy one night about a month ago outside nitro (yea yea) and he said he was going to destroy the combine and that no one was going to have his size and speed combo. i'm really pulling for the guy.

25. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Don Banks in his mock

(Solder at 12 to the Vikings)

It's rare that we don't have a couple offensive tackles who are graded as top 10 talents, but the draft just isn't deep there this year. Solder is thought to be the best of the bunch -- at least early on -- and the Vikings could use some youth as a couch against another subpar year from veteran Bryant McKinnie. Solder is a huge 6-8, 314-pound prospect who has had a very strong week at the Senior Bowl.

(Smith at 32 to Pittsburgh)

The Steelers have gotten away with less than top-notch corners for a while now, and Smith has ideal size and strong coverage skills. He can more than hold his own against tall, physical receivers, and his head-to-head matchup with Georgia's A.J. Green was one of the highlights of his senior season.

26. sweaty teets

while i dont like the steelers, i would love to see jimmy play on a defense like that.

27. sliderNcider

I'm glad to see some Buffs getting consideration for high draft picks. It's been a while since we've had top notch NFL talent. We have what...??? 2 NFL starters worth a dam.... and one's a kicker (Gurode and Crosby). That's embarrassing

28. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

Graham, although he's definitely on the backside of his career.

29. sliderNcider

Ok 3. That's still really bad for a BCS team and one top 25 in all-time wins. Hopefully that starts to change after this year

30. Bill Cody

Bill Cody Well-Known Member

Bannan, Brayton, Polumbus

Dizon was hurt. Is Wheatley still around?

EDIT: That still isn't good tho