What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

September 10 - California @ Colorado

So far Solis is the only one for this weekend but there's talk from one or two more commits that they may visit this weekend. The Irwin twins will be visiting on the 30th, weekend we play Washington State, and Ma'ne Manaea will be visiting on October 21st, which is the weekend we play Oregon.

On paper, their WRs against our DBs is a huge mismatch. I still expect it to be a very low-scoring affair, but I hope we can avoid giving up the big play. We really have no margin for error in most games.

[h=1]Cal hopes to remedy road problems at Colorado on Saturday[/h]
Although Cal beat Colorado 52-7 last season, the Bears’ Sept. 10, nonconference game against Colorado this season is different in one fundamental way: It’s on the road.

Every team plays better at home than on the road, but few teams had the disparity that Cal had last season. The Golden Bears were 1-4 on the road last season, and got blown out in three of them. The only road game the Golden Bears won was against last-place Washington State, and the Bears trailed in that game well into the second half before pulling out a 20-13 victory.

http://www.examiner.com/cal-bears-i...-remedy-road-problems-at-colorado-on-saturday

[h=1]Cal Football: A Golden Spotlight Look at Tedford's New Offense[/h]

Ever since it was officially announced that Coach Tedford would resume control over playcalling and coaching the quarterbacks, Cal fans everywhere have been waiting with bated breath to see what the new offense would look like. Would it be pro-style? Spread? Read-option? A mix of all-of-the-above? Apparently, the answer is "yes." Despite stating during several press conferences that he wanted to simplify the playbook, cut down the number of plays, and use "more creativity," it sure looked like a diverse, multiple attack.

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.co...golden-spotlight-look-at-tedfords-new-offense

[h=2]Don’t dub Maynard Cal’s savior just yet[/h]
SAN FRANCISCO — Two passes into Cal’s season, Zach Maynard went to the sideline and apologized to Jeff Tedford. Who wouldn’t, with a quarterback rating of -200?

His first incompletion erased by an illegal formation penalty, the Bears’ new starter walked away from his first series 0-of-1, with an interception and the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Except Zach Maynard turned into Atlas. The Buffalo transfer shook off the worst imaginable start in his new colors, giving 9,000-odd fans three first-quarter touchdown drives for braving the traffic to Candlestick. He started hitting big third-down passes. He picked up big yards on designed runs, and scrambled to extend plays. He didn’t fill fans with worry every time he lined up.
But this still wasn’t the making of a savior — not yet.
http://www.dailycal.org/2011/09/05/dont-dub-maynard-cals-savior-just-yet/

Are there any visitors for this weekend other then Justin Solis?

The weather is still nice and this is a premier home game, would be very disappointing if we only have one guy here.

Embree said at his press conference today that there would be "a handful" of recruits at the game.

I have a good feeling, but I think it will be low scoring as well. I think the home field is one of the biggest factors in this one.

i have 2 cal grads working for me. oh, how they shall pay if cal wins again.

I have no part of me that thinks we will win this game.

So that obviously means we are going to win.

But now that I've said that, we will lose.

Hey my hope is gone put us down for the W!

Too much hope we are gonna get creamed.

With so many losses over the last 5 years and the way the buffs played in the opener, it's hard to find a victory vs cal.

The positive is the game is at home and the OL can't play much worse. Cal has 2 big stud wr's which is a big concern. We will need pressure but their qb ran it pretty well vs fresno state so ...CU needs to keep this low scoring and the only way they do this is to run the ball and win the turnover battle.

We'll know pretty quick where this game is going.CU can't get behind two scores early.

[h=1]Golden Nuggets: Colorado Buffaloes Coach Jon Embree on Cal [/h]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]On California[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"I watched the Fresno State game. I thought they did a very good job on the defensive side. I think they do a good job in playing to their strengths on the corners and trying to force some one-on-one matchups. They got good pressure on the quarterback. They showed a couple wrinkles from a pressure standpoint that I didn't see from their last year. Offensively, [QB Zach] Maynard did a good job with his legs, and did a good job of giving his receivers an opportunity to catch the football. I thought the kid showed tremendous resiliency, his second pass is basically a pick-six deep in his own territory and he shook it off and bounced back and did a good job in leading that team the rest of the game. They are a very good team. A team a lot like us, they have a lot to prove. I don't think they were thought of very highly before the season started. I know Jeff [Tedford] is a very good coach. I think Jeff does a very good job in tailoring his offense to his quarterbacks or his tailbacks. Factor in what happened last year; we have a tremendous task in front of us."[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]On what he saw from last year's Cal game[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"Lack of effort, that disturbed me the most. I don't feel that we competed very well last year. I felt like we were just hoping for the clock to run out so we could get off the field. That is what it looked like watching it. I think when you talk to the kids, they will say similar things about their effort or lack of effort in that game and they were embarrassed about it."[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]On Cal QB Zach Maynard and how he compares to Hawai'i QB Bryant Moniz[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"Moniz is a stronger runner than Maynard. Maynard, once he gets going is probably faster. The thing with Moniz that gave us issue is that he was stronger and we over-pursued a couple times and he was strong enough to run through arm tackles and obviously make some big plays. Maynard does a good job in getting on to the edge and he is more deceptive because of his long stride and all of that. Once he gets it going, he takes off. He had a run against Fresno, I think it was about a 50-yarder and that was pretty impressive to watch him go."
[/FONT]

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.co...orado-buffaloes-coach-jon-embree-on-cal-bears

I think this game will go a long way towards revealing just how good (or bad) our team is.

I also believe there is likely a psychological component associated with the severe beating we took last year. I hope not.

A victory will be a pleasant surprise. We gave up 7 sacks to Hawaii and have a quarterback that does not play well against the rush. I know Cal sucks on the road, but I think their team speed and athletes overwhelm us.

We need a win badly. I hate to be the negative one on the board, but I am not sure we have much of a shot. Prove me wrong. Go Buffs!

Back