What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

September 3 - Colorado @ Hawaii

The worries about our new secondary continue to baffle me. Last year we were ranked almost dead last in the country in passing defense. This is with those NFL cornerbacks so many of you have warm and fuzzy memories of. The personnel were obviously not the issue, it was the scheme. I think this year we will be markedly better in pass D than last year because of the scheme. Quit worrying about the inexperience at corner because as last year proves it doesn't really mean much.

I think you are making way too many assumptions in this post. I can agree that scheme played a large part in our woes last season, but so did injuries. We had two really good starting corners and not much else by the end of the year.

And there is a difference between inexperience and having a true freshman starter at one corner spot. Great scheme or not, that is going to be a concern all year long.

I think you are making way too many assumptions in this post. I can agree that scheme played a large part in our woes last season, but so did injuries. We had two really good starting corners and not much else by the end of the year.

And there is a difference between inexperience and having a true freshman starter at one corner spot. Great scheme or not, that is going to be a concern all year long.

Really? We had the best corner tandem in the conference if not the country last year and we SUCKED(to put in mildly) in pass defense!! In other words all the talent and experience in the world didn't mean **** when it came to performing on the field. So yeah, I bet you that even with a true freshman corner this year we will have better pass defense than last year, meaning while it can be a concern in general, it certainly isn't one when referring to last year.

In addition to concerns about our secondary, I'm starting to worry that our guys might come out too tight.

Really? We had the best corner tandem in the conference if not the country last year and we SUCKED(to put in mildly) in pass defense!! In other words all the talent and experience in the world didn't mean **** when it came to performing on the field. So yeah, I bet you that even with a true freshman corner this year we will have better pass defense than last year, meaning while it can be a concern in general, it certainly isn't one when referring to last year.

Here is where my concern lies: we may be better overall in pass defense this year, but we are a team with little margin for error. At some point during this season, the corners are going to be left on an island and they will have to stand tall to prevent game-changing plays.

As bad as we were on pass defense last season, we still had two corners that could occasionally make the big play when it mattered.

Why is everybody giving kudos to UH and shuddering about the "road? Consider:

They have nine (9) N-I-N-E new starters on "O" including their entire O-line. They don't have a letter winner at RB and lost a guy who was a 3rd round NFL choice. Their three best receivers from last year are in NFL camps. Their "D" was/is mediocre, (90th-ranked) with a bunch of fat midget DLs,(6'2" and under; most are 300+lbs.) and a DB line-up that includes as their "best athletes" a 5'8" 185 lb. safety and a 5'11" 165 lb. corner! Two starters were just suspended for the game. They have no tape of the CU "D" to check for tendencies, blitz packages or disguises, so all those new starters on "O" are working essentially blind.

So why the gloom and doom?

You need to look at that defensive ranking again Mr. Buffenuf. Hawai'i was ranked 51st in total defense last year. They also led the nation in takeaways. I'm not going to argue the conference affiliation. I'm just gonna say that you should look at the facts. I also see no 5'11", 165 lb. corner on the Hawai'i depth chart. I do see a 5'11", 165 lb safety, though.

While UH can't really check for CU player tendencies, they CAN look at the coaches' tendencies. I am sure that UH is looking at tapes of teams where Brown used to coach Last year, they studied Monte Kiffin's tendencies before the USC game.

I am a UH fan, but I agree with you in asking, "why the gloom and doom?" I am not that worried about the game because I expect UH to win. CU fans should be expecting the Buffs to win as well. That's what college football is all about. I just don't like people making blind comments without any fact behind them.

Last edited:
The personnel were obviously not the issue, it was the scheme. I think this year we will be markedly better in pass D than last year because of the scheme. Quit worrying about the inexperience at corner because as last year proves it doesn't really mean much.

We had scheme?

You need to look at that defensive ranking again Mr. Buffenuf. Hawai'i was ranked 51st in total defense last year. They also led the nation in takeaways. I'm not going to argue the conference affiliation. I'm just gonna say that you should look at the facts. I also see no 5'11", 165 lb. corner on the Hawai'i depth chart. I do see a 5'11", 165 lb safety, though.

While UH can't really check for CU player tendencies, they CAN look at the coaches' tendencies. I am sure that UH is looking at tapes of teams where Brown used to coach Last year, they studied Monte Kiffin's tendencies before the USC game.

I am a UH fan, but I agree with you in asking, "why the gloom and doom?" I am not that worried about the game because I expect UH to win. CU fans should be expecting the Buffs to win as well. That's what college football is all about. I just don't like people making blind comments without any fact behind them.
Greg Brown wasn't the full time D coordinator at Arizona though so they don't have much to go off of and we switched to a 3-4 and added a new LB position. And your defense is going to be in the dark with formations and tendencies as well.

So this is Greg Brown's first year as an outright defensive coordinator? I looked at his bio on cubuffs. He's been a secondary coach every season he worked but two since the 80's. I believe he was the "Get Back!" coach for the Saints in 2001. I'm not really sure what "quality control" means for a football team, can someone explain it to me?

Fun Fact: Greg McMackin replaced him as secondary coach for the Denver Gold of the USFL.

Just was enlightened to a fun fact. Our Pass D which ranked somewhere around 110th last season was able to limit the Heisman darkhorse moniz to a single TD a year ago. That season he threw 39 and we held him to only one. I am feeling better and better about this game the closer we get.

No way can our pass defense be worse than last year, for our game Moniz is the only returning starter on the rainbow offense, brown likes to blitz and with a 3-4 should be able to do so effectively, and embree has them all juiced for those bricks. I think we are only 4 days away from seeing a very very different visiting team in hawaii.

Just was enlightened to a fun fact. Our Pass D which ranked somewhere around 110th last season was able to limit the Heisman darkhorse moniz to a single TD a year ago. That season he threw 39 and we held him to only one. I am feeling better and better about this game the closer we get.

No way can our pass defense be worse than last year, for our game Moniz is the only returning starter on the rainbow offense, brown likes to blitz and with a 3-4 should be able to do so effectively, and embree has them all juiced for those bricks. I think we are only 4 days away from seeing a very very different visiting team in hawaii.

Moniz is going to make some plays, he's just that good, but you've got to like our chances at limiting him because we've got arguably our strongest unit (DLine) going up against their OLine that has an entirely new cast of starters. They've got entirely new WR's and RB. They literally weren't able to rush on us at all last year, and that was with a back that put up pretty good numbers during the rest of their season. You've got to figure some of their receivers will step up and prove themselves as playmakers, but it's nice to be catching them in their first collegiate start. Still, I must admit I have my concerns that our OLine won't do what it needs to do in terms of establishing the dominant running game we need to keep Moniz off the field. We need to avoid falling behind early at all costs - let's make a statement and get physical from the start!

I know that he will make plays, thats what talented players do. I and expect him to think he can carry his whole team on his back and win this football game, however having one returning starter in my whole offense would scare me a bit if I was a head coach.

Here is where my concern lies: we may be better overall in pass defense this year, but we are a team with little margin for error. At some point during this season, the corners are going to be left on an island and they will have to stand tall to prevent game-changing plays.

As bad as we were on pass defense last season, we still had two corners that could occasionally make the big play when it mattered.

...and we haven't played a game yet. This year is still a big question mark, and I'll be worried until we see the on-field performance. Then it'll be time for either bitching and moaning or screaming and rejoicing.

Taking a look at UH's record from last year doesn't impress. It's nice to put up huge numbers against San Jose State, Utah State, New Mexico State, etc. They did beat a decent Nevada team but they also got blown out by Tulsa in the bowl game. Numbers are great but you have to take a holistic approach when looking at it.

Our bad losses last year were Cal, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Nebraska (all ranked except Cal). The Buffs have folded under pressure in the past but they have also played some top tier competition. Fight through the nerves of the first game and stick to the fundamentals and I think they have a big day.

Last edited:
For all you gamblers out there Hawai'i is favored by 7 and the over/under is 55.

IMHO: If the Buffs buy into Embree's old school grind it out vision they'll win on Speedy's back. If they get too excited and engage in a shootout they'll lose but P Rich will have an awesome game.

For all you gamblers out there Hawai'i is favored by 7 and the over/under is 55.

IMHO: If the Buffs buy into Embree's old school grind it out vision they'll win on Speedy's back. If they get too excited and engage in a shootout they'll lose but P Rich will have an awesome game.

Definitely like the under on that...

We still need to learn how to be (convince ourselves we are) a running team. This may take some time. If UH scores quickly and get's 2 TDs ahead early (like they did at CU last year) we will have to give up on the run game and we will lose. If our D can hold them early and give the O time to build confidence that we can run the ball, then we will control the clock and win.

I give ourselves about a 30% chance of winning. To many factors stacked against us (new coaches, new schemes, road win monkey, schedule burden, lack of experience, lack of depth, first game jitters, ...)

I give ourselves about a 30% chance of winning. To many factors stacked against us (new coaches, new schemes, road win monkey, schedule burden, lack of experience, lack of depth, first game jitters, ...)
The exact same thing could be said for Hawaii aside from the road game and schedule. We have one of the oldest teams in the conference.

We still need to learn how to be (convince ourselves we are) a running team. This may take some time. If UH scores quickly and get's 2 TDs ahead early (like they did at CU last year) we will have to give up on the run game and we will lose. If our D can hold them early and give the O time to build confidence that we can run the ball, then we will control the clock and win.

I put it at 50%. Hawaii has NINE new starters on offense. New coaches/schemes can work to our advantage (How does Hawaii prepare?). As for things like "first game jitters", is this not Hawaii's first game? Hawaii has no more depth than we do, and this is one of the few games where CU will have an advantage in talent

They also lost a ton of production on offense. CU should be able to run and hit a couple big pass plays for td's and win this game.. Lose and I will **** a ​BRICK.

I am having a difficult time believing that we will lose at Hawaii. Some reason for that:

Hawaii will have ONLY TWO returning starters on offense for this game. That's Moniz and one OL-man. One returning starting WR has been suspended for this game so Moniz has FOUR new starting WRs to work with so the timing will not be there. That means CU will need to put pressure on Moniz and with the depth of our front seven this year, we should be able to do it. We have dealt with Texas Tech's passing game pretty well compared to other Big 12 defenses by getting after the QB and Hawaii will be no exception to that as well.

Our OL did a nice job against Hawaii last season by paving the way for over 250 yards of rushing and that is with Hawkins' offense that is more of a pass offense than a run offense that we will have this season under Embree. Hawaii returns both starting DTs that our OL whipped last year and there should have been two returning starters at LB but one of them got suspended for this game so that's three returning starters on Hawaii's front seven. We should crush their front seven and not have to worry about going against their strength which is their secondary.

It's simple...we have to be PHYSICAL and if we do that, we should crush both Hawaii lines on the way to an easier win than people are expecting. If Moniz has to run for his life and we put the hits on him, the connection between him and his WRs will be less efficent as the game wears on and the hits continue to come.

There is a great oppournity to make a statement that we are not a HaLKins coached team that was overly passive.

I am having a difficult time believing that we will lose at Hawaii. Some reason for that:

Hawaii will have ONLY TWO returning starters on offense for this game. That's Moniz and one OL-man. One returning starting WR has been suspended for this game so Moniz has FOUR new starting WRs to work with so the timing will not be there. That means CU will need to put pressure on Moniz and with the depth of our front seven this year, we should be able to do it. We have dealt with Texas Tech's passing game pretty well compared to other Big 12 defenses by getting after the QB and Hawaii will be no exception to that as well.

Our OL did a nice job against Hawaii last season by paving the way for over 250 yards of rushing and that is with Hawkins' offense that is more of a pass offense than a run offense that we will have this season under Embree. Hawaii returns both starting DTs that our OL whipped last year and there should have been two returning starters at LB but one of them got suspended for this game so that's three returning starters on Hawaii's front seven. We should crush their front seven and not have to worry about going against their strength which is their secondary.

It's simple...we have to be PHYSICAL and if we do that, we should crush both Hawaii lines on the way to an easier win than people are expecting. If Moniz has to run for his life and we put the hits on him, the connection between him and his WRs will be less efficent as the game wears on and the hits continue to come.

There is a great oppournity to make a statement that we are not a HaLKins coached team that was overly passive.

Close. Hawaii does have 2 starters on O for the game, but zero on the o-line. The lone returning o-line starter isn't eligible for this game due to some NCAA violation(see MontanaBuff Preview), but there is one returning starting wide receiver playing. The other wideout that was suspended for the game redshirted last year, but was projected to start.

Close. Hawaii does have 2 starters on O for the game, but zero on the o-line. The lone returning o-line starter isn't eligible for this game due to some NCAA violation(see MontanaBuff Preview), but there is one returning starting wide receiver playing. The other wideout that was suspended for the game redshirted last year, but was projected to start.

Thanks for the heads up but that made me feel even more confident about CU winning on the islands. If our front four/seven can get to Moniz and hit him in addition to our OL repeating last year's performance for a full game, we should win this game.

I was just going to post this. It's them. We usually charter with Frontier Airlines I believe but they probably needed the extra range of the 767
Open those window shades men, enjoy the beach now, you won't see it again until after the game!

Back