What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Serious candidates

I might get neg repped for this but CU needs to take a cue from kNU and make a Pelini style hire. Hiring Pelini is the best thing that happened to kNU since Osbourne left. I think Heater fits the bill.
Unfortunetly I was thinkng the same thing. Pelini has turned into a helluva coach.

I've never heard of Heater... I guess we'll have to see how the rest of the season goes

Florida's Heater has been fire for defensive backs

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Chuck Heater, Florida [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Ten schools, 32 years, two national championships, one backup tight end.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] They have all played into a long, accomplished career for Florida's cornerbacks coach and recruiting coordinator. Florida is Heater's 10th school since becoming a coach in 1976. In the 32 seasons since then, he has worked for six national coaches of the year.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] However, he might not have hit the pinnacle of his career until 2006. Remember that crazy December day when Florida won the SEC title game and Southern California was upset by UCLA? The Gators didn't know for another day that they had officially clinched a spot in the BCS title game.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] But on the floor of the Rose Bowl that day was one Adam Heater connecting the football dots. Born in Columbus, Ohio (supposedly during his dad's stop at Ohio State in the '80s), UCLA's backup tight end was reveling in his team's role in getting his father's team to the national championship game. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "I told him, we'll take care of business if they take care of business," Adam said that day. "It's a great day for the Heaters."
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] And Ohio State and Florida went on to play for the national championship.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] It has been a great career for Chuck Heater. Having joined Urban Meyer on a staff for the fourth time, Heater has been a right-hand man for the Florida coach.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]more...
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]

I like the sound of this Heater character. He might be just what we need. Bill Young is also interesting, though he's a little older than I think we'd look for. He's also an OSU alum, so who knows if he even wants to leave. Venables keeps popping up, but I recall last season a lot of OU fans were calling for his head because his defense couldn't stop anyone. Who knows how much Stoops does for that defense too. I think I'd rather try for their OC, but really how great is he without the incredible players they have? I just had a thought about Muschamp, Texas already has him lined up to succeed Brown right? I think i remember hearing about that somewhere along the way last year.

I'd like a defensive minded coach. CU has always had a solid D for the most part. I think watching the D get punked was the worst part for me.

Neu was obviously a offensive coach, same with GB to a degree. Hawkins was the same. time to go with a Defensive guy. jmho.

I'd much rather have Kevin Wilson than Brent Venables if we're browsing Stoops' staff. Paul Johnson started with an above average team in the ACC. He can keep that gig for a while and rattle off conference championships while the money he will command just keeps climbing. Schaino and Brian Kelly are two of the biggest rising stars in the profession and will continue to get more leverage in financial talks if offered the position, so they're out.

While Fulmer was great for Tennessee, I think Tuberville's run in Auburn was more impressive so I'd prefer him of the existing SEC exes out of a job. I don't think anyone mistook Mac for someone who'd mesh well in Boulder, but that turned out alright. Bill Young strikes me as a career coordinator guy like Joe Kines, so I don't think this late in his career he'd be brought in to interview. Cabral is a must have for the program under any coach as LB coach or DC, but those areas and recruiting is where he shines and I wouldn't want to make him split those responsibilities as a HC. He's definitely someone who has the respect of all his players, so he needs to be retained at any cost. Bienemy should at best be offered the OC gig and prove himself there first.

So who does that leave? Well, I think time will tell this fall should Hawkins remain on the hot seat in our eyes and those of the media. Stay tuned.

Yeah I figured, oh well.

What about Jeremy Bates though? I don't live in Colorado and don't follow the broncos much, but their offense was pretty good when he was there. Granted, Shanny was probably the cause for that. Even if he lights it up this year at USC who knows how that would translate to success at CU. Just wondering what people think about him.

What about the coach at the University of Montana. has a good track record.

Bobby Hauck. Yes I like him.

Defensive assistant at CU under the Weasel (95-98), followed him to UW. Been to the playoffs every year at Montana and coached them to two FCS championship games. More importantly, he owns Montana State. So we see where he is advantageously on the who-beat-who pecking order.

Will Muschamp is waiting in the wings under Mack Brown. Throw his name on the list as a person of interest.

Chuck Heater is an ex-Husky and is one heckuva recruiter. He has a completely solid football pedigree, and could potentially be a coup to get. When UW lost him it was a huge blow...

I still like Brent Venables, as he has a proven 'D', already has inroads with the Texas and Oklahoma (and all Big 12 area) high schools, and is a proven coordinator at a perennial national power. Plus, stealing him from OU would be like icing on a cake. Muschamp isn't leaving Texas, Stoops isn't leaving OU anytime soon, and Venables could conceivably leave for a great HC position at a place like CU. He has a solid resume.

Another guy to look at I think: Brian Kelly of Cincinatti. He's made a program out of nothing... Surprised nobody has mentioned him so far.

Another guy to look at I think: Brian Kelly of Cincinatti. He's made a program out of nothing... Surprised nobody has mentioned him so far.

I'd like Kelly, but I'd be surprised if CU could get him on what they plan to spend. He just got Cincy to a BCS bowl (thanks to a ****ty conference) and I would guess a lot of his recruiting base is in the east and midwest. I think he'll probably be headed to the next good Big XI school to have an opening...

Chuck Heater is an ex-Husky and is one heckuva recruiter. He has a completely solid football pedigree, and could potentially be a coup to get. When UW lost him it was a huge blow...

I still like Brent Venables, as he has a proven 'D', already has inroads with the Texas and Oklahoma (and all Big 12 area) high schools, and is a proven coordinator at a perennial national power. Plus, stealing him from OU would be like icing on a cake. Muschamp isn't leaving Texas, Stoops isn't leaving OU anytime soon, and Venables could conceivably leave for a great HC position at a place like CU. He has a solid resume.

One nice thing about Venables -- he wouldn't take any **** and wouldn't spout off any excuses.

He is pretty damn fiery, too.

Heater certainly sounds like a great candidate, but a couple of questions:

Has he been a great recruiter everywhere or just recently at UF? The reason I ask is that UF is a pretty easy place to recruit to, especially with their recent success.

Does anyone know if he's ever been considered for a head-coaching position anywhere?

I'd like Kelly, but I'd be surprised if CU could get him on what they plan to spend. He just got Cincy to a BCS bowl (thanks to a ****ty conference) and I would guess a lot of his recruiting base is in the east and midwest. I think he'll probably be headed to the next good Big XI school to have an opening...

And didn't Cincy just sign him to an extension?

Has he been a great recruiter everywhere or just recently at UF? The reason I ask is that UF is a pretty easy place to recruit to, especially with their recent success.

Does anyone know if he's ever been considered for a head-coaching position anywhere?

Chuck Heater is a world-class recruiter, one of the best in the business of college football.

I have no idea if he's HC material, but the man flat-out recruits talent.

He was a solid recruiter everywhere he's been. He's also a great motivator and Defensive coach.

Is he ready for a HC position? We'll see. I think he'll get the nod somewhere. He's too good not to.

If CU fans want a coach with CU ties, this is the best option imo.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this one and researching this a bit.

The criteria I was looking for:

- Experienced
- Deep coaching tree
- Big time program

I believe the perfect fit would be Fred Jackson from Michigan. He's been offensive coordinator at Purdue, Wisconsin and Michigan. He's the Associate Head Coach at Michigan currently and also coaches the running backs. He's a throwback to the Bo & Carr eras and can pull from that coaching tree. Further, he's one of the most respected minority assistant coaches in America. Guys like Erik Campbell (former Michigan WR coach who developed Braylon Edwards, Mario Manningham, Adrian Arrington, Amani Toomer, Steve Breaston and David Terrell is currently at Iowa) and Ron English (former Michigan defensive coordinator, then Louisville's DC and now Eastern Michigan's head coach) would be in play for his staff. (English would also be an interesting guy as HC, but I'd rather have him as Associate HC & Defensive Coordinator). Hagans could stay on and actually have an accomplished RB coach mentoring him from the HC position. Finally, Michigan's historical football culture holds the same values that Colorado believes in so the fit there would be seamless.

Back