What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Serving Kool-Aid

Wright has a ways to go. The expectations for 2013 need to be tempered (he may even redshirt).

Wright has a ways to go. The expectations for 2013 need to be tempered (he may even redshirt).

I never said he was there yet. And you are right he may redshirt, but he has the physical make up of a shut down corner. We will see if he ever gets there.

Crawley and Wright have the physical make up of two shut down corners. Now whether or not the coaches can get them playing like that is another thing all together. Would love to see no drop off when Wright comes to give Henderson a breather.

Henderson won't be getting any breathers this season--just like last season.

Amazing how many articles lately are talking about so many players "just now learning fundamentals" after 2 or more years in the program and are learning fundamentals? I know it is a new staff and YOU are always learning...but, "learning fundamentals" seems to be the team montra this season?? no wonder we were the laughing stock last year.

Amazing how many articles lately are talking about so many players "just now learning fundamentals" after 2 or more years in the program and are learning fundamentals? I know it is a new staff and YOU are always learning...but, "learning fundamentals" seems to be the team montra this season?? no wonder we were the laughing stock last year.
There are some quotes in those articles from the players that illustrate just how bad the coaching was the last two years. Guys like Webb saying the coaches had a "pro mentality" and just expected things to "click" with the players after two or so practices. If not that player didn't get to see anymore playing time. That explains a lot. Especially with the QB situation. Almost every player quoted says something similar and if it's not outright it's subtle. Some people postulated this theory last year on AB and it turns out they were exactly right.

My kool aid consumption is limited to expecting a reasonable facsimile of a football program.

I'm swimming in kool aid when it comes to the hoops program. I'm ready to nominate Tad Boyle to sainthood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

This is exactly why my Koolaid drinking doesn't include how many games we win. This team is very literally learning the basics and, given the fact that the previous staffs didn't do any of this kind of teaching and left a huge knowledge hole on the team, it will take the rest of the year for the whole team to get basics down. This means the level of competition we can bring to each game should be surmountable by nearly every team on our schedule.

I love the change in how the team is practicing and I definitely think this staff has us headed in the right direction, but we are so far behind our competition that I feel like this whole season will just be a long practice to get us ready to actually start competing next year.

This is exactly why my Koolaid drinking doesn't include how many games we win. This team is very literally learning the basics and, given the fact that the previous staffs didn't do any of this kind of teaching and left a huge knowledge hole on the team, it will take the rest of the year for the whole team to get basics down.

This general direction just smacks of piling on. I get how bad the past staff(s) were. But I think it had to do with big picture management and direction, game planning, attitude/motivation, strategy (there is more). I just don't get -- or really believe -- that even the basics of football were unable to be taught. These guys were pretty well respected position coaches, or at least many of them.

This general direction just smacks of piling on. I get how bad the past staff(s) were. But I think it had to do with big picture management and direction, game planning, attitude/motivation, strategy (there is more). I just don't get -- or really believe -- that even the basics of football were unable to be taught. These guys were pretty well respected position coaches, or at least many of them.
You are right except for a few big problems:

-Embo and EB for example had spent several years in the NFL and appeared to have forgotten how to simplify stuff for college kids (kind of obvious with the complicated offense they tried to implement)
-GB is a fantastic DB coach but he was so burdened by trying to be DC (and was over his head) that he had little time to teach the fundamentals to the DBs

Some of the other guys like our WR and obviously LB coaches have been long-time position coaches in college so were probably less of a problem, although who knows if JE did not allocate enough practice time or priority to fundamentals-leaving position coaches with insufficient time to dedicate to it?

That's the point. The past staff were so unqualified to be in the positions they were in, that they didn't even teach kids basics. They got ahead of themselves in every aspect of coaching. It's like the old cliche, "gotta learn how to walk before you run." They had the kids trying to run right out of the gate, but we stumbled every time. Then we had hats being slammed down, young men being screamed at and it's still wasn't the the end of the first quarter. I wouldn't give much effort after being embarrassed like that if I was a player either. Surprised some of the kids were so angry when WB was fired.

Just the fact that our coaches now are organized enough that we are getting two to three times the reps in practice...and have two groups going also, so everybody is playing, and not watching 75% of the time....that with proper fundamentals means lots of growth this year. I could se a couple wins early..then a bit of a dry spell and more toward the end of the year. I still think 3 to 6 wins are possible. 6 IF we find a way to start 3-0. I think winning Fresno, when even the kids don't think it possible could lead to even more effort and belief in what the coaches are preaching and teaching. If they start 3-0 (yes, almost a miracle at this point) then...I could see squeaking out 6 wins and a bowl game. At this point..no bowl game feels like a lower level game.

And if we make one, I am going. No matter what.

Back