What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Setting the bar high

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Hawkins predicts 10 wins for Buffaloes

CU coach optimistic about upcoming year despite down season

By B.G. Brooks, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)

Published December 15, 2008 at 10:58 p.m.

Dan Hawkins is raising the bar - significantly - in anticipation of his fourth season as the University of Colorado's football coach.

At the team's annual seniors awards banquet Sunday at a hotel in Broomfield, Hawkins' closing remarks included this forecast for 2009: "10 wins and no excuses."

Framing the context of the remark, Dave Plati, CU's director of athletic media relations, said Hawkins' optimism was based on the coach "seeing a lot of things in place" for the future, as well as a recent conversation Hawkins had with former Buffaloes coach Bill McCartney.

" 'Mac' told him, as only 'Mac' could, 'You're close . . . you're close (to winning),' " Plati said.

Hawkins' third CU team finished 5-7, making his CU record 13-24.

Before being hired by CU, Hawkins went 53-11 in five seasons at Boise State, with his teams winning or sharing four Western Athletic Conference championships. His WAC record was 37-3.

Hawkins' first two CU teams finished 2-10 and 6-7, with the 2007 squad losing to Alabama 30-24 in the Independence Bowl.
This season, the Buffs failed to reach the necessary six wins for bowl eligibility when Nebraska placekicker Alex Henery hit a 57-yard field goal with 1:43 to play in the teams' final regular-season game.

By the time they visited Lincoln, the Buffs were playing with a patchwork offensive line and were minus their leading rusher and two starting safeties - all because of injuries.

All told, CU suffered 10 season-ending injuries, lost another three players to academic ineligibility, had a promising receiver leave the team and wound up fielding one of the youngest squads in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

The Buffs' final two-deep roster included 27 freshmen or sophomores.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/15/hawkins-predicts-10-wins-for-buffaloes/

I think Rick George would read the above, call on his time and Texas, and say "All hat, no cattle."

I honestly believe that things are different now.

Don't bother bumping this a few years from now if I'm wrong, because I'll have been put somewhere "for my own good" where they won't allow me internet access.

Back