1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shaka Smart, Shaka Stupid or Shaka Khan

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by fervorfactor, Mar 22, 2012.

1. fervorfactor

fervorfactor Active Member

Illinois wants him at $2.5 M. He turned it down. He has 8 players coming back next year at VCU. He faced up Barkeley on his weight loss program for some bucks. This guy will land some place next year. I wonder who will offer him. Likely big bucks.

2. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Told ya so.

He loves VCU. I'm not sure he's bolting anywhere anytime soon.

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Gonna be hard to get a better offer than that.

4. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Pretty sure he made a decision cause the Illini are going to be in full rebuilding mode... Bad situation

5. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

It could be a Tad Boyle kind of situation, where he's exactly where he wants to be and has no desire to leave.

6. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

waiting for nubraska

7. CVilleBuff

This is what it is. VCU stepping up to the plate last year and giving him big-time loot for a mid-major certainly helps the situation as well. VCU also has more of a devoted following (thanks to recent years) and nicer facilities than you would probably imagine. The Siegel Center is a nice venue.

8. BuffAlum2007

BuffAlum2007 Well-Known Member

He's like the Chris Petersen of college hoops...

9. ZKobalt

ZKobalt Well-Known Member

Heard he's waiting one more year because he thinks UCONN job will open up.

10. CVilleBuff

The fact Illinois couldn't get him speaks leaps and bounds with the money they offered, but let's keep in mind that Illinois is a 'pretty good' basketball school, by no means elite. They have some facility issues and their tradition isn't as great as many seem to currently believe. Shaka is a Wisconsin native (Milwaukee area) who also has strong ties to Ohio. Bo Ryan may not be at Wisconsin much longer, but the safe bet on the Badgers' first choice for Ryan's replacement will be Tony Bennett of Virginia. Baring something drastically changing at a place like Indiana, Ohio State or Michigan State over the next few years, I highly doubt Smart will leave. Smart clearly loves VCU - and he's undeniably building something extremely special there. Remember, VCU has no football team. VCU basketball is THE athletic event on campus.

As I mentioned, the facilities at VCU are decent as well (Siegel Center is solid. Seats over 7k, relatively new, - awesome atmosphere in there, especially these days). VCU is also in a fantastic recruiting location. He's right in/near the hotbed of the best Virginia athletes (and VA athletes are often very elite) while also being within easy proximity of grabbing talent right up and down I-95 (NYC, Philly, Baltimore, North Carolina, Florida). He also has the fortune of playing his conference tournament a couple blocks from campus at the Richmond Coliseum. That never hurts your chances when you basically have a home crowd to push you on to conference championships and at-large bids.

It's refreshing to see a coach do this and playing his cards right. He's making $1.2 million right now. He's happy. Some schools might double that up, but Smart is also wise enough to know that 80% of the time they end up like recently fired South Carolina coach Darrin Horn. It would have to be the perfect fit, and he may already be at that perfect fit. It's one accomplishment to arrive at a powerhouse and continue the dominance. It's another far greater accomplishment to arrive at a Colonial Athletic Association school and turn them into a perennial Final Four contender.

aik likes this.
  11. The Guest

The Guest Guest

This is unpossible. The Big 1G is a very, very important basketball conference.

12. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

You've hit on most of it, I think. With their Final Four run last year, VCU has made themselves a "name" program like Gonzaga. They will now get more respect when it comes to getting into the tournament and getting a higher seed than a similarly situated mid-major. They also have an advantage in recruiting. Why would you go to a marginal power conference team where the expectations will be super high and you'll likely get fired in two or three years when you can stay at a very well situated mid-major, have fairly easy access to the tournament every year, and where you have as much rope as you need? You turn down an extra 1mm a year for a likely 2 or 3 years, but you more than make that up by coaching at a very good salary at the mid-major for 10 years.

13. fervorfactor

fervorfactor Active Member

I think the same. Tad isn't leaving as long as the money is competitive and Shaka has a great thing going. His only problem is a one bid conference into the dance. As far as basketball coaching, I haven't seen anyone better than him at what, 35 years old? Love his pressure style of play with less talented guys.

14. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Cville why do you think ryan would leave wisco? He came up through plattville and kinda see him as a wisco guy for life

15. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

On a related note, today is Chaka Khan's birthday.

16. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

mickeybirthday.jpg

17. CVilleBuff

He's certainly a Wisconsin guy for life. I was referring to him retiring within the next few years. He's in his mid-60's (about the same age as DBT's son, I believe) and isn't the type of guy who's going to drag this out to 75+. When he hangs it up in 3-5 years, Tony Bennett will be target number one for the Badgers.