What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sheriron Jones Transferring To CU

Awesome to get him. Look forward to seeing him play in 2017. Just wish we had him (or a grad transfer) for this year. We need help now.

Awesome to get him. Look forward to seeing him play in 2017. Just wish we had him (or a grad transfer) for this year. We need help now.
Your assuming he'll be the starter in '17? To me, he adds to our depth and gives us better odds of having a good to very good quarterback. It's more about depth and competition for the position.

Your assuming he'll be the starter in '17? To me, he adds to our depth and gives us better odds of having a good to very good quarterback. It's more about depth and competition for the position.
Not assuming he's the starter. Just expect a kid with his talent to likely get PT. I'd be psyched if Montez is better.

and tougher competition at practice will make the D better.

Nice addition. His quote about MM making an impression is great and all, but why couldn't we close him then rather than providing a soft landing for him! Need to close recruits, not just leave a impression on them

and tougher competition at practice will make the D better.
I think this may be your point, but it's not just having a good scout quarterback; if he's a credible DT, as they say, it will give the D better practice for some of the specific skill sets they'll face in conference play.

This gives our coaches the extra arm they needed for spring ball as well. Now they can focus on Webb or some other graduate transfer if they feel it is necessary after getting a look at Cade and seeing how Sefo's rehab goes.

It also gives us a REALLY cool name on our roster. I can see Brent Musburger now: "And Sheriron Jones is under center and takes the snap. Sheriron Jones back to throw it. NOBODY OPEN, SHERIRON JONES TUCKS IT AND RUNS. SHERIRON JONES AT THE 50, THE 40, THE 30, THE 20, 10, 5! TOUCHDOWN SHERIRON JONES!!!"

This means nothing unless our coaching staff can start developing our QBs. Based on the very mediocre (at best) development of the other Qbs on our roster, I'm starting to have serious doubts if we would do better even if we landed the next Payton Manning. More fodder for the cannon is good but we are currently not short on fodder... JMO.

This means nothing unless our coaching staff can start developing our QBs. Based on the very mediocre (at best) development of the other Qbs on our roster, I'm starting to have serious doubts if we would do better even if we landed the next Payton Manning. More fodder for the cannon is good but we are currently not short on fodder... JMO.

So we shouldn't bother adding blue chip QBs to the roster?

It also gives us a REALLY cool name on our roster. I can see Brent Musburger now: "And Sheriron Jones is under center and takes the snap. Sheriron Jones back to throw it. NOBODY OPEN, SHERIRON JONES TUCKS IT AND RUNS. SHERIRON JONES AT THE 50, THE 40, THE 30, THE 20, 10, 5! TOUCHDOWN SHERIRON JONES!!!"
Musburger likes to declare touchdown when the guy is around the 20, sometimes as far back as the 40.

So we shouldn't bother adding blue chip QBs to the roster?
I'm fine adding him to the roster, more fodder, but I'm getting very cautious about my expectations on the kind of impact he will make to the buffs given the development of our current QBs.
I remember when we thought Sefo was our QB of the future, and before him is was Web, and before him it was Hirshman (or Woods), then Dillon, then ..(many others I missed). When those guys announced they were coming to CU many fans hailed them as the solution to our QB woes. None of them lived up to our initial expectations/hopes despite the fact that some had descent talent.

Call me crazy but, given our track record with QB development, I think it's foolish to expect any new QB is going to move the needle much for CU util we start growing them into better QBs.

He has to be right eventually, doesn't he?

That's what we always thought about Tini.

Musburger likes to declare touchdown when the guy is around the 20, sometimes as far back as the 40.

This is the most dangerous component of the Musburger drinking game. You have to start chugging when he says touchdown and can't stop until the player actually gets into the end zone. If a TD is not actually scored, finish.

They'll move him to CB, and start a 5'10" game manager at QB. It's CU.

I'm fine adding him to the roster, more fodder, but I'm getting very cautious about my expectations on the kind of impact he will make to the buffs given the development of our current QBs.
I remember when we thought Sefo was our QB of the future, and before him is was Web, and before him it was Hirshman (or Woods), then Dillon, then ..(many others I missed). When those guys announced they were coming to CU many fans hailed them as the solution to our QB woes. None of them lived up to our initial expectations/hopes despite the fact that some had descent talent.

Call me crazy but, given our track record with QB development, I think it's foolish to expect any new QB is going to move the needle much for CU util we start growing them into better QBs.

Maybe it's as simple as the fact that none of them were very good. Sefo's been the most successful and we all knew that he brought more in toughness, character and IQ than he did in arm strength, agility, speed or quick release. Michelangelo wouldn't have delivered what he did with the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel if he'd been limited to finger paints in primary colors. Most of college football (at least 80%) is about having the most talent. Development is more about managing the roster well to be more veteran and, within that, doing the right things with nutrition & strength training to get guys as good as they have it in them to be. Jared Goff isn't Jared Goff because of Cal's coaching.

Hmm. I think you have an awfully small sample size to evaluate. Also, I still think Sefo was pretty injured much of last season. Not that that would have effected his decision making.

Call me crazy, but I'm not sure it's fair to judge this staff on the lack of development of Dillon, Hirschman and Webb.
Fair enough. But we do have a tendency to see our latest QB acquisition as "the one" and then find out that they don't really have it. Some of that may be talent but some of that, IMO, is because our QBs never develop the talent they had after coming here.

i remember hearing that with chev being the co-oc, lindgren would have more time to develop qb's in practice. hopefully that works.

Maybe it's as simple as the fact that none of them were very good. Sefo's been the most successful and we all knew that he brought more in toughness, character and IQ than he did in arm strength, agility, speed or quick release. Michelangelo wouldn't have delivered what he did with the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel if he'd been limited to finger paints in primary colors. Most of college football (at least 80%) is about having the most talent. Development is more about managing the roster well to be more veteran and, within that, doing the right things with nutrition & strength training to get guys as good as they have it in them to be. Jared Goff isn't Jared Goff because of Cal's coaching.
I think we can agree that we've had marginal QBs for close to 10 years, so is your stance is that we've sucked at recruiting QBs for a decade?

I think we can agree that we've had marginal QBs for close to 10 years, so is your stance is that we've sucked at recruiting QBs for a decade?

Yes. In fact, I'd say that this has never been a CU strength going back to the McCartney days. Mostly because he couldn't stick with an offensive system he loved. Wanted to be pro style. Fell back to option. When it worked and he saw the limitations, he tried to go back to pro. What he was looking for all those years was the spread option that hadn't been invented yet. After that, it has almost seemed like the position hasn't been emphasized at CU.

Back