What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Should 1-bid conferences do away with their conference tourneys?

Conference tourney for small conference?

• Keep it

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Get rid of it

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Most conference tournaments lose money. All of the small conference tourneys cost money to the members.

Also, the 1-bid conferences run the risk of sending a team with a losing or mediocre record to the dance instead of being represented by their best teams.

If you were a commissioner of a small school conference, would you eliminate your conference tournament?

I think the Ivy has the right idea.

Get rid of them, that way the 1-bid conferences send their best team and the one that truly earned it, as compared to a team that simply got hot for 3 or 4 games in the conference tourney.

think back to Rodney Billups DU team. they won the league reg season, but miss the NCAA because they lose in the conference tournament finals to either LA-Monroe or LA-Laf.....and the tournament is played on LA-M/LA-L's home floor.

DU had the big kid who was a very good player, forget his name. Yemi Nicholson? sp.

think back to Rodney Billups DU team. they won the league reg season, but miss the NCAA because they lose in the conference tournament finals to either LA-Monroe or LA-Laf.....and the tournament is played on LA-M/LA-L's home floor.

DU had the big kid who was a very good player, forget his name. Yemi Nicholson? sp.

that just sounds like a problem with the tourney setup. For a small conference it should be at the school with the best records home gym, so they have every advantage to win and represent their conference.

that just sounds like a problem with the tourney setup. For a small conference it should be at the school with the best records home gym, so they have every advantage to win and represent their conference.

that would be pretty hard to plan if the conference title came down to the last week.

I have no problems with letting results speak for your team.

When you get to a place where your team is still competing for a championship by winning, even if losing one game means you're out.... your team has a chance to show what it can do.

If your team is really the best in the conference, you should be able to win a tourney by the end of the year. And if another conference foe is playing much better at the end of the season, they perhaps may be the best representative of the conference.

Playing Devil's Advocate here...

Most conference tournaments lose money. All of the small conference tourneys cost money to the members.

Also, the 1-bid conferences run the risk of sending a team with a losing or mediocre record to the dance instead of being represented by their best teams.

If you were a commissioner of a small school conference, would you eliminate your conference tournament?

I think the Ivy has the right idea.

For some conferences, I think the question is how much do they gain by being on espn. I voted for these conferences to have tournaments, but I think they should do everything possible to skew it in favor of the regular season champ. The Big Sky's format of having the league champ host with an automatic bye into the semi's is the best format I've seen.

WCC use to be one bid conference now they are not. The Horizon use to be but if Cleveland St. or UWM wins the tourney this year they would have gotten two.

For some conferences, I think the question is how much do they gain by being on espn. I voted for these conferences to have tournaments, but I think they should do everything possible to skew it in favor of the regular season champ. The Big Sky's format of having the league champ host with an automatic bye into the semi's is the best format I've seen.

This is the best way to do it. Play the tournament, but give your regular season champion and higher seeds an advantage. I know the WCC also sends the top 2 seeds to the semis right away. 8 team league, 8 plays 5 and 7 plays 6 in the first round. Winners then face 3 and 4. Then the winners of that face 1 and 2. It makes the regular season matter, but still gives everyone a chance in the postseason tourney.

Back