1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should 8 Pac-12 teams make the Dance?

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Entering tonight, here are the D1 Records, RPIs, and SOSs of the Top 8.

Team
    D1 Record
    RPI
    SOS
    Arizona28-219
    UCLA22-72119
    Colorado21-92911
    Oregon21-83137
    Arizona State21-93340
    Stanford18-114615
    Cal18-126039
    Utah18-97395

Clearly, there's no reason to even debate the Top 5 teams making the Dance. Arizona, UCLA, Colorado, Oregon and Arizona State have done enough to be stone cold locks. So let's focus on the other 3:

Stanford: The committee wants teams to schedule a challenging non-conference schedule. The SOS of 15 shows that they were willing to compete against quality teams this season. Non-conference losses were BYU, Pitt and Michigan. They also won at UConn. Importantly, no bad losses (worst is at Oregon State, which is nothing to be ashamed of).

Cal: Good schedule, not great. Lost to Syracuse, Dayton, @ Creighton, and @ UCSB. Nothing bad there. Best OOC win was Arkansas. And they beat Arizona.

Utah: Awful non-conference scheduling. Played 2 challenging games - winning vs BYU and losing at Boise State. Only other OOC game worth mentioning was a win against Fresno State. Every other OOC opponent is over 200 in RPI (or D2). Ugh. But they've got a lot of quality Pac-12 wins, highlighted by beating UCLA.

With all that, maybe the best argument for 8 teams is USC. Trojans have 1 Pac-12 win and will finish in last place. Despite that, this is a team that still has a Top 200 RPI. Why? They beat Xavier on a neutral court and won at Dayton in the OOC. That's the bottom of the Pac-12 barrel this year. There were no easy outs.

Pac-12 is the #3 RPI conference this season.

All of the above teams (and maybe Washington sitting at 8-8 with its RPI of 80) will finish .500 or better in conference play. All proved on top of that that they could beat tourney teams while avoiding bad losses.

Bill Walton is right. Pac-12 deserves to be an 8-bid league in 2014.

2. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

I love it when nik gets his cause on

3. rolandftw

rolandftw Club Member Club Member

Not unless Utah wins the Pac-12 tournament, or at least gets to the title game. Stanford should probably make it as long as they get another win. Cal needs a couple tourney wins imo. Can't afford a loss to Utah.

4. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

I have a hard time finding any sympathy for Utah. Utes chose their fate when they scheduled the 346th strongest OOC SOS.

I believe Cal should make it over a team like Missouri, but they won't without another win (probably need two).

5. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I think you're right. And I won't shed a tear for them. The tournament doesn't claim to be the 68 best teams, but there's no doubt in my mind that Utah is easily within the best 68 this year. They hamstrung themselves with that schedule, though.

6. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

7. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

Think it will be 6 but your case is there.

8. absinthe

Given what Utah thought they had coming into the season and where they are in a total re-build, the fact that we are even talking about them tells me this was the perfect schedule for them. Do i have any sympathy if they get left out of the dance? No.

Do i understand why they drew up this schedule and what Coach K-lite was doing? Yes. Did it work? Hell yes. People need to layoff the harping on their terrible schedule, it was a very smart, very purposeful move.

9. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

It's great for something to build on, but for making the dance they're getting what they deserve. All I'm saying. It's kind of a shame because they didn't need to go *quite* as weak as they did in retrospect.

10. absinthe

if they win either home OT game though....

11. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Oh the "if game," let's take only mention the negatives that could've been positives instead of the positives that could've been negatives.

12. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

I think California has put themselves in a tough situation...they need to win Saturday and probably get 2 more wins in Tournament

Utah needs to improve OOC schedule....anything short of winning Pac 12 Tournament keeps them out I believe

13. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

I just don't see the case for Utah. At all. The numbers speak for themselves, an RPI of 75 simply isn't tournament worthy and it's not like they done great in conference play.

14. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Utah **** the bed with their schedule, but I agree with Nik- they're legit. I would venture a guess that their SOS improves a lot next year. They're quietly asserting themselves as a very tough team to beat and a top half of the conference team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

The only way the 12PAC gets 8 tourney teams is this scenario -- the Yoots (or another cellar dweller) beat Cal in the conference tournament title game.