What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Should Ballenger start against KU?

I think the only argument I've been able to buy from anyone is Ballenger's ability to scramble....I think that does add an aditional threat and can help a our struggeling offense and offensive line.

I find it hard to completely blame Cody for our offensive struggles as he is getting hardly any time in the pocket and (I'm surprised I havent read this anywhere) our WR's are doing a TERRIBLE job of getting separation, running & finishing out good routes etc. and to some extent catching the ball when it's there.

Fine, you guys win, Ballenger is the future QB of this team, and I think he'll probably beat Cody for the position by next season, he's bigger, has a run threat, and he has more pass velocity, so he can throw deep bullets and the out pattern, which Cody can't do.

This might be exaggerating a bit, but making a QB switch now basically throws away at least half the work done preseason. However, if Ballenger is the future QB of the team, (and I think he is, after watching his appearance yesterday even if it is against a Texas 2nd string, which is probably still a starting defense elsewhere), sacrificing losses this season might get us wins next season and beyond.

Fine, you guys win, Ballenger is the future QB of this team, and I think he'll probably beat Cody for the position by next season, he's bigger, has a run threat, and he has more pass velocity, so he can throw deep bullets and the out pattern, which Cody can't do.

This might be exaggerating a bit, but making a QB switch now basically throws away at least half the work done preseason. However, if Ballenger is the future QB of the team, (and I think he is, after watching his appearance yesterday even if it is against a Texas 2nd string, which is probably still a starting defense elsewhere), sacrificing losses this season might get us wins next season and beyond.

I say play him a couple of series a game over the next three games to see what you've got...there is no substitute for game film in player evaluation...

I think the only argument I've been able to buy from anyone is Ballenger's ability to scramble....I think that does add an aditional threat and can help a our struggeling offense and offensive line.

I find it hard to completely blame Cody for our offensive struggles as he is getting hardly any time in the pocket and (I'm surprised I havent read this anywhere) our WR's are doing a TERRIBLE job of getting separation, running & finishing out good routes etc. and to some extent catching the ball when it's there.

The fact that Ballenger can make more throws than Cody also has to be a pretty persuasive argument. As lefty has mentioned, teams don't have to really defend the intermediate and long routes because he is simply not making those throws. When you allow teams to take away those routes, you're pretty much ****ed because they can just tee off then. That is exactly what Texas did on Saturday night.

I don't think anyone is solely blaming Cody here, but he has to take some responsibility. The offense has just looked awful the last few games. In a high-scoring league like the Big 12, that won't cut it. At some point, you have to try something new. I really don't see why both QBs shouldn't be playing from here on out.

The fact that Ballenger can make more throws than Cody also has to be a pretty persuasive argument. As lefty has mentioned, teams don't have to really defend the intermediate and long routes because he is simply not making those throws. When you allow teams to take away those routes, you're pretty much ****ed because they can just tee off then. That is exactly what Texas did on Saturday night.

I don't think anyone is solely blaming Cody here, but he has to take some responsibility. The offense has just looked awful the last few games. In a high-scoring league like the Big 12, that won't cut it. At some point, you have to try something new. I really don't see why both QBs shouldn't be playing from here on out.

Exactly. Even if by playing Ballenger 1-3 series a game, you force the D to have a plan to defend those passes and the possibility of a run. Something it doesn't look like they have to do now. If we see it, I'm sure any D1 DC can too....

Exactly. Even if by playing Ballenger 1-3 series a game, you force the D to have a plan to defend those passes and the possibility of a run. Something it doesn't look like they have to do now. If we see it, I'm sure any D1 DC can too....

Cody is the starting QB, or at least he should be.
So long as Head, Behrens, and the rest of the OL are giving him time to run the offense that he's been leading since before the spring game.

But, and this is a big but, and I can not lie, should Cody be plagued with sacks, tipped balls and picks, and if Cody can not escape the pocket, resulting in no rush, and a completion ratio of say less than 60 percent after the first 3 or 4 possessions, then that's Helfrich's sign to plug in Ballenger. If Cody goes three and out on three consecutive drives, it's time for a change.

Let Ballenger continue to prove himself to the team and the fans. It would be a shame to wait until KU has an insurmountable lead to pull the trigger on Ballenger again.

Fortunately, it's possible that Cody will start out hot in the first quarter, as was the case with CSU and WVU. And if C-Hawk and the OL gets the offense going, then let him finish what he started.

And if CU is up 38 to 7 in the third quarter, then putting Ballenger in would be a no brainer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hawkins hasn't really looked that good all year.

Remember pre-season when we were predicting a blowout against CSU? Offense didn't really look all that good against CSU, we only beat them by a TD despite having superior talent at most positions.

EWU - We all remember what happened here. The offense looked bad for the majority of the game

WVU - Scored two touchdowns super early in the game then the offense did exactly nothing for the rest of the entire game.

FSU and Texas - We don't need to get into details.

It's not just the last two games. Nor is it all Hawkins' fault. But the writing is on the wall from an objective perspective, in my opinion - CH does simply not have the physical talent to compete in a conference like the Big 12. And it's not just Texas and WVU. Teams like OSU, Missouri, even KSU are going to score a lot of points and if you can't score with them, you are going to lose.

A lot of you reference the fact that Cody has "earned" the right to start for the remainder of the season. Why? What, specifically, has he done this year that signals that he has earned or is entitled to any playing time? Given the starting job, by all appearances, by default? Better performance in practice and in camp than the other options? A solid but far from great freshman year in which the team went 6-7 and lost to ISU? Needed last minute defensive touchdowns to beat a D2 team and beaten two horrible CSU teams in overly close games?

To say that the only talent advantages Ballenger has over Hawkins is scrambling ability is pretty much akin to deliberately sticking your head in the sand. He clearly has a much, much stronger arm and has somewhere in the realm of 6 inches of height on him and probably 40 pounds. CH accuracy has also not looked quite "stellar" this year.

Does Hawkins know the playbook better? I would imagine. All this talk about a "RS FR" taking the starting job as some sort of catastrophic measure rings of a certain irony when you consider that CH was a "RS FR" last year. He has 1.5 years in the system, CH has 2.5 years. How much difference is really there?

Should Matt come in and start next week against Kansas? Probably not. Should he get significant playing time and take the starting job barring a dramatic improvement in Cody's play that seems, at this point, relatively unlikely? Absolutely.

To suggest that playing a bigger, faster, stronger, larger-armed QB over a struggling starter who has had a pretty disappointing five games is some sort of blasphemy reeks of bias.

Anyone who is watching can readily acknowledge that there are issues with the offensive line, if not dramatic issues. That does not mean that o-line play is the only problem.

Last edited:

Remember pre-season when we were predicting a blowout against CSU? Offense didn't really look all that good against CSU, we only beat them by a TD despite having superior talent at most positions.

EWU - We all remember what happened here. The offense looked bad for the majority of the game

WVU - Scored two touchdowns super early in the game then the offense did exactly nothing for the rest of the entire game.

FSU and Texas - We don't need to get into details.

It's not just the last two games. Nor is it all Hawkins' fault. But the writing is on the wall from an objective perspective, in my opinion - CH does simply not have the physical talent to compete in a conference like the Big 12. And it's not just Texas and WVU. Teams like OSU, Missouri, even KSU are going to score a lot of points and if you can't score with them, you are going to lose.

A lot of you reference the fact that Cody has "earned" the right to start for the remainder of the season. Why? What, specifically, has he done this year that signals that he has earned or is entitled to any playing time? Given the starting job, by all appearances, by default? Better performance in practice and in camp than the other options? A solid but far from great freshman year in which the team went 6-7 and lost to ISU? Needed last minute defensive touchdowns to beat a D2 team and beaten two horrible CSU teams in overly close games?

To say that the only talent advantages Ballenger has over Hawkins is scrambling ability is pretty much akin to deliberately sticking your head in the sand. He clearly has a much, much stronger arm and has somewhere in the realm of 6 inches of height on him and probably 40 pounds. CH accuracy has also not looked quite "stellar" this year.

Does Hawkins know the playbook better? I would imagine. All this talk about a "RS FR" taking the starting job as some sort of catastrophic measure rings of a certain irony when you consider that CH was a "RS FR" last year. He has 1.5 years in the system, CH has 2.5 years. How much difference is really there?

Should Matt come in and start next week against Kansas? Probably not. Should he get significant playing time and take the starting job barring a dramatic improvement in Cody's play that seems, at this point, relatively unlikely? Absolutely.

To suggest that playing a bigger, faster, stronger, larger-armed QB over a struggling starter who has had a pretty disappointing five games is some sort of blasphemy reeks of bias.

Anyone who is watching can readily acknowledge that there are issues with the offensive line, if not dramatic issues. That does not mean that o-line play is the only problem.

Stop making sense....:smile2:

Scotty Mcknight should start at qb,see the ball he threw to scott,sweeeet. Move ballenger to wr and cody to PK:smile2:

and his mobility is an asset given the OL issues.

Scotty Mcknight should start at qb,see the ball he threw to scott,sweeeet. Move ballenger to wr and cody to PK:smile2:

:lol: My wife saw the throw to Scott and asked why McKnight could throw the ball farther than Cody....

Umm...didn't we beat them by 3 TD's? To me that qualifies as a blowout.

3) Cody is rattled. The last two games have been HORRIBLE for him. The defenses were great, but he looked over matched.

This, to me, is a good reason to get Ballenger on the field some. It looks pretty obvious that Cody is rattled. I think he puts so much pressure on himself and gets so into the game that after a while his head gets ahead of his body and the game starts going 10,000 miles per hour for him. The pressure and having to work on the run just seems to make it worse for him. Some time to look at the offense and what is happening out there without being in the middle of it, trying to make it all work, might be just what he needs... :huh:

This, to me, is a good reason to get Ballenger on the field some. It looks pretty obvious that Cody is rattled. I think he puts so much pressure on himself and gets so into the game that after a while his head gets ahead of his body and the game starts going 10,000 miles per hour for him.

You are completely right... Unfortunately, that is the nature of the position. You have to be able to handle the pressure as the QB of the University of Colorado, or any other university with a Football program. You have to have the ability to handle the pressure.

Start Ballenger against KU. There would be two likely outcomes:

1) Ballenger leads the offense and is successful. Good for CU.

2) Ballenger struggles. Cody comes in with no pressure (mentally at least) and can prove he should be the starter.

Either outcome is better than having Cody continue to struggle and lose all confidence. Cody is a gutsy and heady player - you have to respect that - but does lack some skills that would open up the offense.

And if CU is up 38 to 7 in the third quarter, then putting Ballenger in would be a no brainer.

Yeah, you think you know how to coach better than Brown???

Oh wait, that was only 35-7. With a MNC still a possibility, and he had his starting QB in still.:rolleyes:

[

Anyone who is watching can readily acknowledge that there are issues with the offensive line, if not dramatic issues. That does not mean that o-line play is the only problem.[/QUOTE]

3rd post is a winner!

No panic.....just looking at the future. Cody is not a legit D-1 QB...
Cody plays error-free ball most of the time, and you can't help but love his moxie. But his skills are not up to Big XII Championship standards. At the very least, Ballenger should be brought in at halftime if Cody is struggling.

Not a chance, **** how about we factor in that Cody's playing behind a makeshift offensive line. Any talk on a QB change is over reactionary horse ****.
Glad to see some sober reflection. :lol:

AV is right .... lots of heads in the sand. I'm not up to 2 1/2 more years of Cody, so a change will have to be made at some point. Why put it off? If he struggles in the fisrt half, make the move. Nothing is permanent.

Glad to see some sober reflection. :lol:

AV is right .... lots of heads in the sand. I'm not up to 2 1/2 more years of Cody, so a change will have to be made at some point. Why put it off? If he struggles in the fisrt half, make the move. Nothing is permanent.
Yesh....

Hey, I said "nothing's permanent." IF Cody struggles in the first half, I can't see any reason not to give Ballenger a shot. You can always go back. If we gotta lose, at least we'll empty both barrels.

I have a very interesting comparison to my own scenario here ... and it happened on our last visit to Lawrence. The stupid Jayhawks pulled off Reesing's red shirt to play him against us, and we fell behind in a very close game. B-Jax was so awful, I was screaming to pull off Cody's red shirt to try to win the game. So obviously my opinion has nothing to do with Cody personally. It has everything to do with doing whatever it takes to win.

Hey, I said "nothing's permanent." IF Cody struggles in the first half, I can't see any reason not to give Ballenger a shot. You can always go back. If we gotta lose, at least we'll empty both barrels.

I have a very interesting comparison to my own scenario here ... and it happened on our last visit to Lawrence. The stupid Jayhawks pulled off Reesing's red shirt to play him against us, and we fell behind in a very close game. B-Jax was so awful, I was screaming to pull off Cody's red shirt to try to win the game. So obviously my opinion has nothing to do with Cody personally. It has everything to do with doing whatever it takes to win.

Best players should play,no matter what the position.HEY, you guys ever have any watch parties up there? I'm in tri-cities area in richland.

Best players should play,no matter what the position.HEY, you guys ever have any watch parties up there? I'm in tri-cities area in richland.
That's down by Yakima, right? That's a long way ... I did go to the Fox Sports Grill in downtown seattle to watch the FSU game, but otherwise no CU watch parties I know of. The KSU game is on FSRM, right? Fox Sports Grill has DirecTV Sports Package, which includes FSRM, so I'll be going there for that game I'm 99% sure.

There are great watch parties for the Broncos there, though:
http://www.querycat.com/faq/73334187f3cf2d703232cfb4eb43a108

That's down by Yakima, right? That's a long way ... I did go to the Fox Sports Grill in downtown seattle to watch the FSU game, but otherwise no CU watch parties I know of. The KSU game is on FSRM, right? Fox Sports Grill has DirecTV Sports Package, which includes FSRM, so I'll be going there for that game I'm 99% sure.

There are great watch parties for the Broncos there, though:
http://www.querycat.com/faq/73334187f3cf2d703232cfb4eb43a108

Tri-cities, middle bottom part of the state,20 minutes from oregon.Seattle is 3 hours away.

I don't think you are paying attention, opposing DC's have figured out the deep over the middle ball isn't going to happen with Cody and there is no need to spy Cody because he isn't going to run. Therefore, one more man in coverage or rush. The O has been pretty anemic against weak competiton, (i.e. EWU) and of no consequence against good competition (i.e. FSU, UT).

Ballenger ahs the ability to run and get the ball downfield over the middle without it looking like a punt....
really? Deep ball won't happen? Whose fault is that? Cody's or the Oline?

Did you watch the first play of the UT game btw? How about JFlys TD against WVU? What about McKnights TD against CSU?

The connection? Time.

Last edited:
really? Deep ball won't happen? Whose fault is that? Cody's or the Oline?

Did you watch the first play of the UT game btw?
Both.

And YES! Why didn't we try that play again? Pass was just 2 yards short ... I was so stoked after that because the UT secondary was their weak spot. Problem was we never went really deep again. I know I know, the O-line, the O-line. But it's not ALL their fault. Ballenger's deep passing is obviously better.

Back