What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Should CU End Their Series With csu?

Should CU Axe The Series With csu?

• Yes

Votes: 58 46.4%
  • No

Votes: 67 53.6%

• Total voters
Attendance at CU games generally sucks, regardless of the non-conference opponent. Folsom seats approximately 55,000 when the suites/luxury boxes are figured in. Here are the attendance numbers for some recent games.

FSU 2007 - 52,900
Miami Ohio 2007 - 45,000

MSU 2006 - 45,500
ASU 2006 - 47,700

CSU 2005 - 54,900
New Mexico State - 44,700

CSU 2004 - 54,900
North Texas 2004 - 46,400

UCLA 2003 - 48,500
WSU 2003 - 48,100

I wouldn't say that "sucks" , it's not Nebraska, but for the most part Folsom is fuller than most people give it credit for in most games. It's not great attendance, but I woldn't say sucks.

I'd be willing to bet that we average over 50k this year.

I bet you're right. We had decent attendance last year and season ticket sales went up when Darrell Scott signed to become a buff. There is a lot more interest in CU in the state than the past few years, not as much as there could be, but it's getting better. The suites have sold out for the 1st time ever as well this year.
Also I was talking to a guy at work that is a CSU fan and he was asking me about ticket prices and were to sit in Folsom. He wants to go to several CU games this year. I'm also seeing a lot more CU gear on people when I'm out and about than I have before.

Last edited:
3AM??? You need to get a life, bro. I'd rather CU schedule AFA over CSWho any day. They have a decent sized stadium and great atmosphere, plus their fans are classy. You don't typically see tear gas after an AFA victory.

Go Buffs.
Huskers suck.

I wouldn't mind replacing csewe with the zoomies. Better venue and fans. Plus they have a certain amount of fans spread thru-out the U.S. - if the game were televised.....

In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing Utah or BagEmYoung in place of the lammies. Travel isn't bad, better fans, little different market.

Put one of those three (afa, ut, byu) on the slate. If it's afa, keep the rms slogan; if it's a Utah team, call it the border war. Then add a west coast team and a big ten or east coast team (recruiting) and 1 patsy (not csewe) to end the ooc.

The rms may have had very close games the past decade or so, but it's lost its new car smell. Doesn't seem to have much value, now.

3AM??? You need to get a life, bro. I'd rather CU schedule AFA over CSWho any day. They have a decent sized stadium and great atmosphere, plus their fans are classy. You don't typically see tear gas after an AFA victory.

Go Buffs.
Huskers suck.

Timmy, Timmy, Timmy you ignorant sl*t. CU Air Force is not going to fill Invesco and is not going to be near the payday. Money rules College Football. This game helps the bottom line, it helps recruiting, and two Div. 1 schools from the same state should play each other. Besides its so much fun giving the ewelings a ration.

They should replace CSU with San Diego State... they're both equal programs, and I'd get to see them EVERY OTHER YEAR without having to travel! LOL

They should replace CSU with San Diego State... they're both equal programs, and I'd get to see them EVERY OTHER YEAR without having to travel! LOL

Would SDSU guarantee the $750K that we supposedly get from playing in Denver?

All this talk about dropping the series is humorous to me. We talk about how the goats need the series more than we do, and to an extent that's true. But we also need the revenues generated from the game.

All this talk about dropping the series is humorous to me. We talk about how the goats need the series more than we do, and to an extent that's true. But we also need the revenues generated from the game.

CU could generate a lot more than $750k for a home game against a creampuff, and benefit the Boulder businesses, as well.

If attendance continues to decline for the game at Invesco then the series is certainly in jeopardy. Invesco was far from full last year.

Attendance at CU games generally sucks, regardless of the non-conference opponent. Folsom seats approximately 55,000 when the suites/luxury boxes are figured in. Here are the attendance numbers for some recent games.

FSU 2007 - 52,900
Miami Ohio 2007 - 45,000

MSU 2006 - 45,500
ASU 2006 - 47,700

CSU 2005 - 54,900

CSU 2004 - 54,900

UCLA 2003 - 48,500
WSU 2003 - 48,100

Lets take a look at the cream puff games you mention.

FSU 2007 - 52,900
Miami Ohio 2007 - 45,000

Attendance droped by 7,900 costing cu $790,000 in potential revenue if each person spent $100, $592,500 if each person spent $75, and $395,000 if each person spent $50 (admission only). This game was also not on TV if memory serves denying CU an opportunity to showcase itself.

CSU 2005 - 54,900
New Mexico State - 44,700 Attendance droped by 10,000 costing CU $1,020,000@$100, $765,000@$75, and $500,000@$50

CSU 2004 - 54,900
North Texas 2004 - 46,400 Attendance droped by 8,500 costing CU $850,000@$100, $637,500@$75, and $425,000@$50

CU could generate a lot more than $750k for a home game against a creampuff, and benefit the Boulder businesses, as well.

On this note you are correct. CU's gross (not net) is probably around $4-6 million per home game. But they have to pay event staff, salaries, eqiupment, conference membership fees, and the visiting team (about $300,000), plus the police and on hand fire medical safety people, all of which are fixed costs. Cream puffs are also demanding a lot more these days like 3 games, 1 at their house, and more money for the honor to get steamrolled. The bigger dogs don't demand this and their charges are sometimes lower.

Everyone knows you love CU to death. The difference of 10,000 people not showing up for two or three games could equal hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost revenue. Actual ticket sales impact that number more than anything as thats the highest charge piece of the puzzle.

I was actually being sarcastic, but to answer your question seriously...

CU SHOULD play one non-conf game a year in so cal or airzona. The alumni base in the area is HUGE and would, effectively, be another home game for CU if they played a smaller school. So, while I'm not sure SDSU could guarantee the 750k themselves, I wouldn't be surprised if the CU alumni in this area couldn't come pretty close to packing full a stadium against any smaller opponent. Obviously, if they played a larger opponent, the 750k would be a piece of cake.

I was actually being sarcastic, but to answer your question seriously...

CU SHOULD play one non-conf game a year in so cal or airzona. The alumni base in the area is HUGE and would, effectively, be another home game for CU if they played a smaller school. So, while I'm not sure SDSU could guarantee the 750k themselves, I wouldn't be surprised if the CU alumni in this area couldn't come pretty close to packing full a stadium against any smaller opponent. Obviously, if they played a larger opponent, the 750k would be a piece of cake.

I agree, and I think CU does, too. Not for SDSU, but for Cal/Ariz games. We went to ASU last year and are going to Cal. We've played USC and UCLA and Arizona over the years. I went to the ASU game last year and there were a lot of CU fans there. Best guess was somewhere in the area of 8-10K.

Timmy, Timmy, Timmy you ignorant sl*t. CU Air Force is not going to fill Invesco and is not going to be near the payday. Money rules College Football. This game helps the bottom line, it helps recruiting, and two Div. 1 schools from the same state should play each other. Besides its so much fun giving the ewelings a ration.

Your Honor,
1. If I'm ignorant and/or a sl*t, you're a republican.
2. In a few short years CU/CSWho won't fill the stadium either because none of their "fans" are going to show up to watch the annual beatdown.
3. It only helps CU's bottom line when the game is scheduled for Ft Collins. Basically a wash if it was a CU home game.
4. It is fun watching the Sheep cry, but it is going to get old quick-like it was until the last few years.
5. CU/AFA would be a fun game to watch.

In ius voco spurius

In ius voco spurius

Subject: Re: English translation of Latin phrase.
Answered By: pinkfreud-ga on 28 Feb 2003 16:39 PST

Literally, "In Ius Voco Spurius" means something like "I speak the law
to the illegitimate."

I had to look it up. Very edifying 14er, good work.

Stop being a D-Bag. Keep reading, mo.

A more succinct (and more amusing) way to say this is "Sue the
bastards."

Here are a couple of online citations (one of which misspells
'spurius' as 'spirius', but what's a typo here or there?):

"In ius voco spurius... Sue the bastards"

Albert Pike Demolay
http://www.albertpikedemolay.org/sricf/currentroster.html

"In Ius Voco Spirius (sue the bastards in Latin)"

Hey guys, apparently Ringo reads our boards or something. From the BZ. New article, blurb at the end...

http://www.buffzone.com/news/2008/jul/31/new-basketball-court-taking-shape/
Talking with CSU

CU, Colorado State, Invesco Field and Denver Metro Sports Commission officials continue to discuss the future of the CU-CSU football series and continuing to play the game in Denver. CU has proposed moving the 2009 game to Folsom Field because the Buffs' 2009 schedule features just five true home games. Bohn has pledged to CU fans that the Buffs will have at least six games in Folsom Field every year.

In exchange for moving the 2009 game to Boulder, Colorado is offering to extend the series beyond the current contract which runs through the 2010 season. Under the current deal, CU must inform CSU before this season's game where it intends to play next season's game. The Buffs are the home team this season and in 2009.

"We're still exploring all our options and trying to get as much information as possible," Bohn said.

not going away folks. Unless CSU denies us a home game next year.

I like the series, and would like it continued. But, if it goes away for awhile that be fine with me to. Be cool to see CU/Air Force matchup.

I wish some around here would stop the 'it's not a rivalry' talk, and saying it's beneath CU to play CSU. We sound like a bunch of ****ing fusker fans.

Last edited:
I like the series, and would like it continued. But, if it goes away for awhile that be fine with me to. Be cool to see CU/Air Force matchup.

I wish some around here would stop the 'it's not a rivalry' talk, and saying it's beneath CU to play CSU. We sound like a bunch of ****ing fusker fans.

I don't think they are beneath playing but I do believe that rivalries belong in conference or at equivalent conference levels. Playing any non-BCS program in a rivalry game is counter productive.

It has been said already but I like the Mile high game especially if it gets us the chance to play 7 instate games every other year. As for who we play I think we should mix it up and play AFA some years, the danger with that is every once in a while AFA starts the season really hot.

FSU 2007 - 52,900
Miami Ohio 2007 - 45,000

MSU 2006 - 45,500
ASU 2006 - 47,700

CSU 2005 - 54,900

CSU 2004 - 54,900

UCLA 2003 - 48,500
WSU 2003 - 48,100

These stats show a bigger problem for CU. CU should be selling out Folsom for teams like UCLA, WSU, FSU, and ASU. Folsom needs to be sold out on a more consistent basis.

As far as the CSU game goes it should continued to be played as long as it makes money. The advantage of the CU-CSU game over the past several years is the game has been broadcast either regionally of nationally in most years which results in extra revenue that you would not receive from scheduling New Mexico State.

As far as the CSU game goes it should continued to be played as long as it makes money. The advantage of the CU-CSU game over the past several years is the game has been broadcast either regionally of nationally in most years which results in extra revenue that you would not receive from scheduling New Mexico State.

^^^^^^^^^^^

A six page thread condensed into two sentences. :thumbsup:

^^^^^^^^^^^

A six page thread condensed into two sentences. :thumbsup:

Don't get too excited; most six page threads around here could be summed up in two sentences. One, if we didn't want to add personal commentary to the summary.:smile2:

These stats show a bigger problem for CU. CU should be selling out Folsom for teams like UCLA, WSU, FSU, and ASU. Folsom needs to be sold out on a more consistent basis.

I found those numbers alarming, as well.

It is not surprising that the CSU game sold particularly well-- the opponent is only an hour away.

But I was very surprised to see the very low numbers for Arizona State, UCLA, and Washington State. However, is it possible that one of the reasons for the low numbers it the number of VISITING fans? Isn't it fairly common for CU to offer an opposing team 5,000 tickets for the game? If an opposing team only sells 1,000 tickets - CU is left with 4,000 extra tickets.

I do think that winning games will cure a lot of these issues. People want to watch winning football. Especially for the price tickets costs these days.

Don't get too excited; most six page threads around here could be summed up in two sentences. One, if we didn't want to add personal commentary to the summary.:smile2:

But then what would be the point of the board? Maybe some people just like to hear themselves talk. :smile2:

Back