1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should The Buffs Go After 2013 5* Recruit Chris Thomas?

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Recruiting Central' started by Goose, Jan 19, 2012.

?

Should The Buffs Go After Chris Thomas?

1. Yes - We can't afford to turn down potential NBA players

26 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. No - he's not worth the potential drama that could follow him

23 vote(s)
    46.9%
  1. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

News broke yesterday that 2013 5* recruit Chris Thomas will be going to his fourth school in four years as he has officially left South Kent in Connecticut and will be enrolling at Mack Academy in North Carolina. Thomas is originally from Denver, and has the prototypical NBA shooting guard’s size. Scout says that he’s probably the best pure scorer in the 2013 class and is always in attack mode. ESPN praises his first step and talks about how he excels in transition. EVERYONE raves about the kid’s on-court skills. Rivals has him as the #5 recruit in the nation for 2013. 247 has him at #7. Scout at #10. ESPN at #13. He’s a top tier recruit in every sense of the word.

And CU has a shot at him.

The problem? His maturity. Dave Telep took him to task today and even said that:

Along with not even being sure he’ll be eligible, what happens if he decides he’s unhappy and decides to leave in the middle of the season in college? We already saw what happened to Oregon when Jabari Brown decided to bail right before the season, and to a lesser extent Jahii Carson at Arizona State when he was academically ineligible. 2013-14 could be a HUGE season for the Buffs, do they really want to risk putting so many eggs in a basket that could be ineligible?

But can the Buffs afford not to? If Thomas wants to come here (and that’s up to debate as there are a lot of rumors that he wasn’t exactly running with the best crowd here in Colorado and that’s why he left in the first place), can the Buffs turn down a player who will probably be an NBA lottery pick and who could bring the team tons of positive publicity and attention from future recruits? Currently, Adam Zagoria is saying that Thomas' top 3 is Xavier, Mizzou and Iowa State. But just two months earlier, his top three were Xavier, Kentucky and Florida. There is no real clear leader, so he's ripe for the signing if CU really puts in the effort.

So what would you do? Would you offer him the scholarship or walk away?

2. SkiTownUSA

SkiTownUSA Administrator Club Member Junta Member

Voted yes. Not sure it'd be worth the risk, but I'd love to get a guard of that calibur to go witht he big guys we got in this class. Deep tourney run????

3. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

Although it would be awesome to have a talent like his, I wonder if it is worth the drama for a year or two. One of the things that everyone talked about this past off-season was that the team acted like a real family. They went everywhere together, and seemed to all get along. I worry that the potential drama surrounding the arrival of a prima donna could undermine that team chemistry. And, if he does end up being a head case, the negative publicity could derail the speeding train of Colorado basketball goodness. He could be awesome for a year or two, but I voted "no" - let him play his year at Kentucky and move on.

4. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

He is most likely only going to stay for one year and I don't think our program is stable enough to have guys like that. Look how much it hurt losing Burks after just 2 years. It is important to have some crafty veterans on your team.

5. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

No. He will be a rent a player at best. We are building a team and I don't think we can afford the distraction of having him for 1 year.

6. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

7. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Yes.

But I would support Tad either way. I trust Tad and assume he has a better read on the situation than I do.

8. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

In college basketball 1 elite player can propel a team to a deep tourney run. So yes.

9. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

bring talent in if you can get them in. As long as he's not a criminal, it is worth it.

10. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

This.

The answer is yes. If he's that good, you try to get him.

11. mattrob

mattrob Club Member Club Member

I said no, but only because of the talent of the other potential '13 recruits. I'd much rather have someone like Hamilton, who is close in talent, but doesn't come with the question marks. If we miss on the other top prospects though, Thomas becomes a lot more tempting.

12. RK

RK UBL Club Member

I think the Family atmosphere of this team could change his attitude. As long as he accepts it.

13. Buffnik

I also really like the teammates from Arizona. Names escape me and I'm too lazy to look it up.

14. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Hopkins and ..... Jones ?

15. mattrob

mattrob Club Member Club Member

Agreed 100%. I don't think the staff needs to take a chance on Thomas to add significant talent to the program. If this was 2 years ago, I'd say absolutely yes!

16. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

17. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

man, I'm with you on Hamilton, he's my favorite this cycle. However, Thomas in my opinion is the superior scorer.

I slow recruit him. I put my staff to work on other kids, but every now and then, say hi just to make sure he's doing okay. Let him know that there's a good, caring family up in Boulder. However, he has to WANT to come to CU in order for things to work out. I put my hard efforts elsewhere.

18. Buffnik

Probably a moot discussion anyway. Thomas isn't coming back to Colorado.

19. jgisland

jgisland Club Member Club Member

I talked with goose about this briefly tonight, don't really want to post my reasoning, but not a fan of this idea.

20. BehindEnemyLines

Spend the time on other possible recruits. If he's that highly rated, he's gonna have his choice of premier college hoops destinations. I don't see him choosing CU anyway, so spend your (recruiting) time wisely.

21. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

Yes. If you had powers of do-over would you take Burks or Chauncey? I would.

22. BehindEnemyLines

I think everyone would take Alec or Chauncey again, but Burks' story was quite different. He wasn't a 5* player in hs -- just a skinny 6'2" guard with great skills. He blossomed his senior year (MO POY) and began to grow. By then, the staff already had him locked up.

I still think Thomas is gonna be given the red-carpet tour of college basketball's "biggies". We might appear on his radar, but in the end, he's gonna sign with a Kentucky, a Kansas, a Duke, or the likes. I think our recruiting time would be better spent on other possibilities.

23. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

There is always competition for the best players. I thought the question was is this kid worth the effort. The answer is of course he is. Just as much as any other star player you would like to play for your team. I don't know who remembers Chauncey's recruitment, but it sure as hell wasn't automatic that he was coming to CU. Thank goodness he did. That made Chauncey a Colorado hero for life. That and his tremendous play.

24. jcatcher

jcatcher Club Member Club Member

More likely Memphis, Louisville, or UConn.

25. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

Academic problems? We don't get many of those guys actually enrolled.

26. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Jarron Hopkins and Torren Jones. Would fill two huge needs for us and bring in some HIGH QUALITY players. Isaac Hamilton also wouldn't be a bad addition as others have mentioned.

Buffnik likes this.
  27. JRK7

JRK7 Member

It's worse then that, 5th school in 5 years. Was in CO then MD then AZ then CT and now NC. The answer to the question though is an obvious yes. I'd take a team of serial killers if they had talent; just kidding, kind of.