What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Should WBB lower the rims?

Should WBB lower the rims?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I assume that the basket is at 10 feet (not 9 or 11) because that was the height of the rails where Dr. Naismith was able to nail the peach baskets.
As with baseball's critical distances on the basepaths, it's something that has worked through time, through serendipity or luck. Keep it at 10 ft.

But I have another idea: use six players, two in the front court , two in the backcourt and two rovers who are the only ones who can cross the md-court line. Then allow no more that six steps while dribbling, forcing them to pass the ball around!..........Oh............wait.....that WAS women's basketball for years. Didn't want those sweet young blossoms working up a sweat, now did we? How unladylike to perspire!

As with baseball's critical distances on the basepaths, it's something that has worked through time, through serendipity or luck. Keep it at 10 ft.

But I have another idea: use six players, two in the front court , two in the backcourt and two rovers who are the only ones who can cross the md-court line. Then allow no more that six steps while dribbling, forcing them to pass the ball around!..........Oh............wait.....that WAS women's basketball for years. Didn't want those sweet young blossoms working up a sweat, now did we? How unladylike to perspire!
Sounds like you were watching back when I played!!!!!!!!!!!!

The two players in each court was the game my now deceased mother played!

The 3 in each court was played in the state of Iowa until they got used by players who said it was discrimination under Title IX because players in the guard court were not getting scholarships. The direction of the girls' basketball athletic union in Iowa said girls should not sweat!!!!

$450,000, asshole. It only cost my office 400 jobs.

How about this one http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/potw/million-dollar-privy26210

dewa-million_dollar_outhouse_kjr_1024_5-2014_0.jpg

I will admit though, it does look like a nice place to make a movie title.

How about this one http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/potw/million-dollar-privy26210

dewa-million_dollar_outhouse_kjr_1024_5-2014_0.jpg

I will admit though, it does look like a nice place to make a movie title.
Here is the story as it first ran. Funny how it has gotten so expensive over the years.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/19...nal-park-service-park-superintendent-outhouse

The article says it was designed "for an earthquake." Not true. The concrete vault was in a flood plain and designed for buoyancy. The reporter was being fed information from an anonymous source. Many of us believe it was from a disgruntled former employee with an axe to grind, but whatever. There was also a ton of lobbying going on from the private sector design community to have government offices stop doing in house design and, rather, contract the work out. And that's what happened. We now manage A/E contracts and we're good at it. And believe me. The private sector is no panacea. But, yeah, we could've and maybe should've slapped up a cheap prefab outhouse.

Here is the story as it first ran. Funny how it has gotten so expensive over the years.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/19...nal-park-service-park-superintendent-outhouse

The article says it was designed "for an earthquake." Not true. The concrete vault was in a flood plain and designed for buoyancy. The reporter was being fed information from an anonymous source. Many of us believe it was from a disgruntled former employee with an axe to grind, but whatever. There was also a ton of lobbying going on from the private sector design community to have government offices stop doing in house design and, rather, contract the work out. And that's what happened. We now manage A/E contracts and we're good at it. And believe me. The private sector is no panacea. But, yeah, we could've and maybe should've slapped up a cheap prefab outhouse.

It's a beautiful ****ter, DBT. You should be proud to have it in your portfolio. Don't listen to these assholes.

Actually just giving you crap (pun intended.)

There have been NPS projects that have gone past justification but some of the executive perks in private corporations are just as ridiculous if not more. I have owned stock in some companies that I would like to address regarding their spending on certain things as well.

In general the pre-fab outhouses would probably be a better buy but there are times when you are talking about sites where the appearance of the facility calls for more than a prefab box.

Also see sites where either pumping out the vault or risking allowing vault contents to get into the surrounding environment calls for a much more costly response. Probably not hundreds of thousands of dollars but not a basic pre-fab either.

Actually just giving you crap (pun intended.)

There have been NPS projects that have gone past justification but some of the executive perks in private corporations are just as ridiculous if not more. I have owned stock in some companies that I would like to address regarding their spending on certain things as well.

In general the pre-fab outhouses would probably be a better buy but there are times when you are talking about sites where the appearance of the facility calls for more than a prefab box.

Also see sites where either pumping out the vault or risking allowing vault contents to get into the surrounding environment calls for a much more costly response. Probably not hundreds of thousands of dollars but not a basic pre-fab either.
Anyway, it was a horrible time and our office was slashed to a quarter of its size. And, in the long run, I think our model works better. But a lot of innocent people were hurt in the process.

Anyway, it was a horrible time and our office was slashed to a quarter of its size. And, in the long run, I think our model works better. But a lot of innocent people were hurt in the process.

Unfortunately it seems as well that far to many of your decisions are made by politicians, resources dumped certain directions to make influential politicians happy and other things that should be more important strangled because they don't have the political momentum.

I could be completely wrong but it seems like the NPS gets blamed for a lot of things that aren't their own decisions.

Unfortunately it seems as well that far to many of your decisions are made by politicians, resources dumped certain directions to make influential politicians happy and other things that should be more important strangled because they don't have the political momentum.

I could be completely wrong but it seems like the NPS gets blamed for a lot of things that aren't their own decisions.
For the most part, NPS is pretty well regarded I think. Our budget is pretty insignificant in the overall scheme of things. Our maintenance backlog keeps growing. But now we're WAY off topic.

For the most part, NPS is pretty well regarded I think. Our budget is pretty insignificant in the overall scheme of things. Our maintenance backlog keeps growing. But now we're WAY off topic.

That's a $6 billion non-transportation National Park Service maintance backlog. That number could be worse if not for philanthropists throwing personal cash at the issue, like Carlyle Group Financier David Rubenstein's $18.5 million private gift to spruce up the Lincoln Monument.

Last edited by a moderator:
Equality; baskets the same height and basketballs the same size - that's my vote. Same exact rules and equipment for both men and women.
I do agree that the game is different and more true (to its original intent) on the women's side. To be a great Women's team or player the basics have to be there. Playing below the rim forces you to learn the fundamentals and basic skills of the game.

I don't have a problem with the smaller ball. We use a smaller ball in boys youth BB as well until their hands get bigger and they can more easily control the bigger ball.

The 3 point line should be the same though as should all other dimensions of the court including the rim height.

I don't have a problem with the smaller ball. We use a smaller ball in boys youth BB as well until their hands get bigger and they can more easily control the bigger ball.

The 3 point line should be the same though as should all other dimensions of the court including the rim height.

The only thing about the smaller ball is that it then annoys me when people compare shooting percentages from the men's to women's games. The cylinder is exactly wide enough to force 2 men's bballs through together. More margin for error when shooting a women's ball.

The only thing about the smaller ball is that it then annoys me when people compare shooting percentages from the men's to women's games. The cylinder is exactly wide enough to force 2 men's bballs through together. More margin for error when shooting a women's ball.

True, but inside the men are much closer to the rim so their percentage should be much higher.

As you say the mistake is to try to compare the men's game and the women's game. Just so many differences that it isn't a worthwhile comparison.

Just enjoy (or ignore if you want) each for what it is. We don't spend much time comparing men's and women's track and field, volleyball, skiing, tennis, etc. All sports that use basically the same equipment, playing surfaces, and general rules. Why should the women playing basketball spend their lives compared to the men.

Not trying to be a know-it-all, but quick minor correction. But the rim cannot fit two men's bballs through it together. Rim is 18 inches and ball is 9.5 inches in diameter, approximately. ...not that any of this affects your overall point though.

Not trying to be a know-it-all, but quick minor correction. But the rim cannot fit two men's bballs through it together. Rim is 18 inches and ball is 9.5 inches in diameter, approximately. ...not that any of this affects your overall point though.

Try it sometime. You can force them through together. The balls compress just enough under normal PSI as you're pushing. Most people don't think it will work when they eyeball it. Good way to win a quick 5 bucks. ;)

Try it sometime. You can force them through together. The balls compress just enough under normal PSI as you're pushing. Most people don't think it will work when they eyeball it. Good way to win a quick 5 bucks. ;)
Nik's been hustling down at the rec center.

True, but inside the men are much closer to the rim so their percentage should be much higher.

As you say the mistake is to try to compare the men's game and the women's game. Just so many differences that it isn't a worthwhile comparison.

Just enjoy (or ignore if you want) each for what it is. We don't spend much time comparing men's and women's track and field, volleyball, skiing, tennis, etc. All sports that use basically the same equipment, playing surfaces, and general rules. Why should the women playing basketball spend their lives compared to the men.

EQUALITY!

Back