What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Should we get rid of kickoffs in football?

I don't like the idea of getting rid of kickoffs, but what I DO like is the idea of replacing onside kicks with an attempt of 4th and 15 from the 30 yard line. It would make potential comebacks much more exciting, onside kicks are so rarely successful that they are basically irrelevant. To me it's pretty disappointing when you see a team start to make an epic comeback and start heating up on offense but then the comeback falls short just because they are unable to recover an onside kick at the end.

why don't we just keep giving the losing team the ball until they comeback?

Football is fine how it is, in fact it's a lot more pussified now than it was 20, 30 ir even 40 years ago. Getting rid of kickoffs will only take football to be one step closer to being just as pussy of a sport as soccer or curling.

If you dont like hitting and injuries, watch soccer, and stop trying to change football. People get hurt in football - there are serious injuries. If you dont like it dont watch or dont play.

Should they lower the height of the half-pipe in the X games? Should downhill skiiers have a speed limit? Should they get rid of collisions in baseball?

NO. Players know the risks before playing the game. If they didn't want to get hurt they can do something else with their lives.

I'm amazed some of you guys have such a cavalier attitude toward stuff that goes beyond generic "injuries". God forbid we actually have a serious dialogue about traumatic brain injuries and similar debilitating injuries.

I'm amazed some of you guys have such a cavalier attitude toward stuff that goes beyond generic "injuries". God forbid we actually have a serious dialogue about traumatic brain injuries and similar debilitating injuries.

I dont think its that we dont care that these people are getting seriously injured, and sustaining brain trauma. I think it is more that we love the game. We love the way its played, and when done right its an awesome sport. These rule changes that are designed to protect the players 1) usually dont do that anyway and 2) slow down the game to the point where its no longer fun to watch.

I dont think its that we dont care that these people are getting seriously injured, and sustaining brain trauma. I think it is more that we love the game. We love the way its played, and when done right its an awesome sport. These rule changes that are designed to protect the players 1) usually dont do that anyway and 2) slow down the game to the point where its no longer fun to watch.

THis^^^

Also I personally know someone whos NFL career was ended by an injury and he says the game is too soft now compared to 5 years ago and he hates it. Thinks if you cant take the risk of getting hurt, then the game is not for you.

Another thing I hate is these new stupid ass looking helmets. They look so dumb.

I don't think anybody wants to see guys get hurt and especially injuries that are going to have a lifelong impact on the player. At the same time everything we do has a risk/reward relationship. Guys who do not want to accept the risk of playing football do something else. They are not entirely free of risk either but an athlete can choose to play tennis or basketball or whatever other sport doesn't carry the same risk.

Once you start down the path of trying to be risk free then you start to take away more reward than risk. The kickoff is an exciting part of the game that adds substantially to the pleasure of viewing the game and playing the game. What else are we willing to sacrifice out of the game in the name of "safety." Do we make any contact with a reciever or ballcarrier more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage illegal, after all lots of guys get hurt on open field tackles when both ball carrier and defenders are stretched out and at full speed and the defender is trying by any means to bring the guy down. Do we put flags on the QB, do we tape the arms of linemen down or put them in the big foam sumo suits. Do we ban blitzing and have designated rushers and blockers in lanes.

If injuries aren't part of the game then football is no longer football, it is something completely different. This doesn't mean that the powers can't and shouldn't look for ways to reduce the frequency and severity of injuries. Tremendous progress has been made in the past couple of years in initiating policies that restrict the ability of a player with a head injury to go back onto the field before he has had time to recouperate and been evaluated by a trained medical staff. Changes have been made to the ability to create blocking wedges on kickoffs and on permisable formations on on-side kicks. Refs have been trained and instructed in many high school federations to look for certain types of plays that tend to result in injury and call those plays closer and faster. These include illegal techniques that go to the legs including crackbacks and hi-lo blocks on interior linemen.

Certain rules could be implemented to open up the game and have more open field one on one blocking and tackling instead of piles and gang tackles. Players who engage in techniques that are likely to result in severe injury could be more heavily penalized including removal from the game and potential suspensions. Equipment improvements and/or changes can prevent injury (those ugly helmets are substantially safer) and even changing equipement to reduce the ability to use it as a weapon could help significantly without taking away what makes the game the game.

No matter what we do we are not going to eliminate injuries in football and to get close would mean it isn't football any more. The KO is part of the game, third and inches is part of the game, the onside kick and the attempted kick or punt block are part of the game. If you can make them safer without changing the character of the game it will be welcomed but to eliminate things in the interest of safety I don't think will fly with the players or the fans.

Okay, one question. If kickoffs are removed from the game for safety, what's next?

Why not a weight limit? As far as I can tell, most career-ending injuries are caused by linemen rolling over on players' legs. If they're serious about limiting injuries, they should institute a 250lb weight limit before they even think about getting rid of kickoffs.

Worst concussion I ever had was covering a kickoff, but still not in favor of pulling them. They're the most exciting play in football. Also one of the few situations where guys way down the depth chart get to get on the field and get some playing time.

There are plenty sports just as dangerous if not moreso than football. Wanna see dangerous? Watch a ****ing downhill mountainbike race. I suppose they should race uphill instead to cut down on the injuries?

Why not a weight limit? As far as I can tell, most career-ending injuries are caused by linemen rolling over on players' legs. If they're serious about limiting injuries, they should institute a 250lb weight limit before they even think about getting rid of kickoffs.

Worst concussion I ever had was covering a kickoff, but still not in favor of pulling them. They're the most exciting play in football. Also one of the few situations where guys way down the depth chart get to get on the field and get some playing time.

There are plenty sports just as dangerous if not moreso than football. Wanna see dangerous? Watch a ****ing downhill mountainbike race. I suppose they should race uphill instead to cut down on the injuries?

Just got a great idea. Football should be played on bikes.

Meh
Colorado_football_helmet.bmp

Sick
51gz0ltOZPL.jpg

I think the new ones look better because of the lines they have where as the old ones are just...circles.

I like the new ones. They look cooler, have more protection, and most importantly, are better weapons for speaing people.

Back