What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Showing a little solidarity with our Pac-10 Trojans

Okie Lite..... from the 5 years Jimmy Johnson was there. Both penalties/sanctions handed down by the NCAA are very similiar in nature, 4 years probabtion, 2 years no bowls, about the same number of schollies cut.... cant remeber if okie lite was cut off from TV though. It didnt hurt Oie Lte right away because of the players already there when Jimmy skipped town to be the Canes coach and he knew the NCAA hammer was coming down. By year 3 of the penalties Okie Lite was in really bad shape and stayed there for years....

big reason a coach by the name of Bob Simmons wasnt more successful there....

I had forgotten all about the Hart Lee Dykes "commitment without ever setting foot on campus" incident. Didn't Pat Jones run the program for a few years after Johnson left and keep it going pretty well, though?

Alabama got a similar punishment in 02 I think. The only difference was the NCAA took away less Scholarships.

It's the scholarship number that's so damaging, though. 30 scholarships is a lot. That's 30 guys who will be playing for somebody other than USC.

It's the scholarship number that's so damaging, though. 30 scholarships is a lot. That's 30 guys who will be playing for somebody other than USC.
Taking a team off of TV is the most damaging imo.

USC will continue to bring in top talent regardless.

Taking a team off of TV is the most damaging imo.

USC will continue to bring in top talent regardless.

It's nearly impossible to take a team off of TV anymore. Honestly, you think that the USC/ND game won't be televised? Or the USC/UCLA game? What do you think UCLA and ND would do if that were the case? They'd throw a bloody fit. Plus, many of the teams USC would play have their own TV affiliations, either with their conference tie-in or with their own network deals (ND). The NCAA can't tell ND AND NBC that it can't televise one of it's marquee games. It just can't be done in today's environment.

It's nearly impossible to take a team off of TV anymore. Honestly, you think that the USC/ND game won't be televised? Or the USC/UCLA game? What do you think UCLA and ND would do if that were the case? They'd throw a bloody fit. Plus, many of the teams USC would play have their own TV affiliations, either with their conference tie-in or with their own network deals (ND). The NCAA can't tell ND AND NBC that it can't televise one of it's marquee games. It just can't be done in today's environment.

Nearly impossible? Or inches away from impossible? :smile2:

The interesting question now is what happens if USC doesn't clean up their act. Kiffen left the SEC with questions about his recruiting techniques. To be noticed for questionable recruiting in the SEC a guy has to be pushing the envelope. If additional, continuing violations are exposed at USC in the near future what will be the next step forthe NCAA. Could they get the full death sentence, I don't think the NCAA would go that far again. I can see a partial death sentence, being allowed only to play their conference schedule with no OOC.

What Kiffen and USC will have to deal with is the reality of being in a media center. College football doesn't get any special consideration in LA like it does in SEC country (or in Texas, or Nebraska, etc.) some reporters will continue to sniff around for signs of infractions. Kiffen is a guy who can't seem to stay inside the lines, just speculation but this could get very interesting.

Another question is based on the USC actions, what happens if the media turns up issues with Slick Rick across town, based on his history and the USC penalty would the NCAA have any choice but to hammer them as well?

Won't click the link, sorry. Mariotti has less credibility than Jizla, if that's at all possible. Mariotti is quite possibly the biggest jackass in sports, and that's saying something in an industry that includes the likes of Jim Rome and Rick Reilly.
When did you get all high and mighty? :smile2:

When did you get all high and mighty? :smile2:

I don't know when it happened. Maybe once I realized that the more clicks those links get, the more traffic they get, and that they use these kinds of numbers to decide whether or not to keep around morons like Mariotti. The guy is a super tool. Complete douchebag. Plus, I don't need a jackass like him to tell me what I already knew - Kiffin is on thin ice. The big money that floats around USC isn't interested in excuses like 30 lost scholarships. They want to win - NOW. Don't bother them with details. If Kiffin can't get the job done (he can't), then they'll waste no time in moving on to the next guy.

Back