What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

SI Article - Positive on the Buffs

Nice find. Really hope our D finds 3 things: a pass rush from the front; play-making abilities at LB; and a couple of CB's to step up and take TWheat and Burney's place.

This year we'll find out how good our defensive coaches are - the D needs to keep us in games.

The optimism for the offense is what the article is about, and that is warranted. I was impressed with the step forward we should take on the offensive line and in the passing game, after seeing what we have installed as of the spring game.

I am stoked to see how quickly Darell Scott and the other new recruits make an impact.

One guy that did some impressive things in spring ball was walk on Jason Espinoza. He had a couple amazing punt return plays in terms of making guys miss. He was moved from defensive back to wide receiver, and he won the Offensive Scout Award this spring (voted on by the players). Interested to see if he makes a showing this fall. Love it when a walk on comes on and makes an impact.

Back to the SI article, I don't agree with the comment that the defense "absolutely tanked at the end of last season." The defense was streaky, kind of like the offense. We usually did better stopping the run, and had problems against the pass. In fact, I think if Oklahoma had switched to a pass attack strategy, they would have beat us. I remember being thankful in that game that they kept trying to run it at us, and we kept shutting them down.

We were inconsistent all season. We did great on D against Florida State and Oklahoma, but gave up more yards than we earned on offense even in the first half of the season against teams like Colorado State and Baylor. It isn't like the D was great then fell apart late, is my point.

I am guardedly optimistic on D for 2008, actually. Partly because of the conditioning progress, and partly because of young and returning guys on the defensive front and at linebacker.

Also, Jalil Brown is another other up and coming guy I anticipate will start making an impact in the backfield. He was our top rated special teams player last year as a freshman, and he should get significantly more time this year at DB.

Back